Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

Tavernacle12

I loved the food while there, as did my family, so I hope it's not changed too much.

While the food being too exotic is presumably an issue, I still think the lack of ADRs is killing it. I have friends who are huge into planning the full 180 days ahead and because they can't get advanced reservations they either filled its slot with something else or are convinced the lack of a reservation option means it's booked.

Biff215

Now you see...I'm looking forward to eating at Skipper Canteen on Friday with the current menu (hope it doesn't change before then). And I just don't understand why some think that the menu is so different, adventurous, or exotic. It's chicken breast, steak, macaroni & cheese...each with a mildly unique twist, but still fairly basic food choices. Before it opened, I was expecting a *MUCH* more exotic menu and was surprised at what we got.

I don't get it.

Also, as much as I have mixed feelings about making ADRs 180 days in advance, maybe the reason it's not filled up is because the average guest either doesn't know about it or, because it's not an option 180 days in advance, can't fit it into their schedule the day when they're in the park. Maybe it's not the menu that keeps people away...maybe it's the inconsistent reservation story between Skipper Canteen and other table service restaurants.

I really wanted to like the place but the food just wasn't good IMO. I have no problem with an exotic menu, but we found it barely edible. We threw out more than we ate unfortunately.

I don't see the decor or menu to truly be the problem here after four months. If the food was good, word of mouth would ensure this place would be booked up even with same day reservations. Hope they make the necessary changes in the kitchen regardless of what they do with the menu.

Megbutnotmegan

I spent last week in Disney and chose to eat 3 lunches here. It's my new favorite restaurant. The skippers I had as waiters were phenomenal. Each had a different twist on the humor that kept me laughing. I thought the food was delicious. I made someone order the "pho" each time just do I could enjoy the aromas. My family really enjoyed it too except my daughter who is 6 and didn't like the noodles in her soup. My 4 year old had the steak and loved it. I hope they don't change it too much!!

tissandtully

After a trip this weekend, I'm still totally confused as why this was not a QS restaurant. MK is in desperate need of more QS, this conclusion I came to after enduring the insane mad house that is Casey's Corner at dinner time. It is really bad and something seriously needs to be done about quick dining options in MK.

Wikkler

After a trip this weekend, I'm still totally confused as why this was not a QS restaurant. MK is in desperate need of more QS, this conclusion I came to after enduring the insane mad house that is Casey's Corner at dinner time. It is really bad and something seriously needs to be done about quick dining options in MK.
Magic Kingdom is also desperate for more Table Service. Well, quick service would have been more thematically appropriate for Skipper Canteen, but eh? What are you going to do.

DaGoof00

Made it a point to eat here last week, and I'm glad I did. Listening to the reviews I was hesitant, but am a huge fan of the Jungle Cruise. The theming was great, with the loop playing, and the corny jokes from the skippers throughout the experience. I will say the service is NOT rushed, which for me was a plus, but I can see how some people who are racing to get on more attractions could feel the crunch here.

As for the food, I had 2 appetizers and we (a party of 4) had 4 different entrees. All of them well seasoned, hot, appropriately cooked and in our opinion delicious. I think there are plenty of places with Burger and Fries in the World, and it's refreshing to see them expand the offerings at MK for those looking for something more.

As for Quick Service, I do agree, more needs to be done, as Casey's was crowded during my recent visit last week, but I also think that's a nature of that eatery. I don't think Skipper's needs to be Quick Service, they have a large unused eatery that can be opened at any time for additional quick service at the Tomorrowland Terrace.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what you will, but for those looking for more than a burger and fries daily at the Magic Kingdom, I do recommend trying the place out, especially if you're a Jungle Cruise Fan.

hpyhnt 1000

They could just open Tortuga Tavern, Tomorrowland Terrace, and Aunt Polly's full time. Throw in the Diamond Horseshoe as a quick service spot too if you want.

Voila! Four counter spots that could, literally, all be reopened by the end of the month.

FoodRockz

I ate at the Canteen last month, for the first time, and truly enjoyed it. We had the pork dish, "pho," and veggie dish. I found the "pho" to be the least exciting dish of the 3, but it was still tasty. Loved the bread and honey, and the silly jokes, as well. Our Skipper discussed the popularity situation with us, and felt it was a combination of lacking AP discounts and no advanced reservations. After tasting the food and enjoying the theming, I agree.

Biff215

I ate at the Canteen last month, for the first time, and truly enjoyed it. We had the pork dish, "pho," and veggie dish. I found the "pho" to be the least exciting dish of the 3, but it was still tasty. Loved the bread and honey, and the silly jokes, as well. Our Skipper discussed the popularity situation with us, and felt it was a combination of lacking AP discounts and no advanced reservations. After tasting the food and enjoying the theming, I agree.
There has to be more to it. If those are the only issues, then why not offer the discount and open up reservations? Perhaps they were given six months to see if the current setup works. I'd be shocked to see things continue as they have into the restaurant's first summer.

COProgressFan

They could just open Tortuga Tavern, Tomorrowland Terrace, and Aunt Polly's full time. Throw in the Diamond Horseshoe as a quick service spot too if you want.

Voila! Four counter spots that could, literally, all be reopened by the end of the month.

And yet...they won't. Despite the fact that the MK sees a good 5-8 million more guests per year than it did "back in the day", there is significantly less dining capacity.

Go figure that one out. I'm sure it looks great on a spreadsheet. For anyone actually in the park, not so much.

hpyhnt 1000

And yet...they won't. Despite the fact that the MK sees a good 5-8 million more guests per year than it did "back in the day", there is significantly less dining capacity.

Go figure that one out. I'm sure it looks great on a spreadsheet. For anyone actually in the park, not so much.

Yep. I was reading through a park update on another site and it was really disheartening seeing the on-the-ground results of all these cuts as they relate to dining. No only is there diminished variety and quality, but also under staffed restaurants where it's taking 10-15 minutes just to get a quick service cheeseburger or ice cream cone. And of course the prices just went up across the board. Throw in a good helping of "there's no place to sit so let's eat on the ground" and it makes for a lousy in-park dining experience.

There has to be more to it. If those are the only issues, then why not offer the discount and open up reservations? Perhaps they were given six months to see if the current setup works. I'd be shocked to see things continue as they have into the restaurant's first summer.

Given the various conflicting reports on food quality, I wonder if the shared kitchen set up has posed issues. Quality or wait issues at Liberty Tree Tavern would help confirm this; anyone know if service has slipped there?

Plus, I think there is just a confluence of factors that's working against this place. It's hard enough opening up a new restaurant and all that entails with training staff and chefs. Add to that a relatively "exotic" menu by MK standards, shared kitchen set up, and now ongoing budget cuts at all levels. Not making excuses by any means - just trying to help figure this out.

FoodRockz

The CM made it sound like the request has been made, but management feels that the restaurant should be wildly popular simply because it is new.

Why it's believable to me is that I have many friends that would take one look at the menu and run the other direction. It's a tough sell to a lot of Americans, especially those visiting the park known for turkey legs, ice cream, and hot dogs.

Biff215

The CM made it sound like the request has been made, but management feels that the restaurant should be wildly popular simply because it is new.

Why it's believable to me is that I have many friends that would take one look at the menu and run the other direction. It's a tough sell to a lot of Americans, especially those visiting the park known for turkey legs, ice cream, and hot dogs.
I certainly agree that the menu needs some tweaking, but better reviews would also make a world of difference. Some guests like myself wanted to love the place but just didn't care for the taste and quality of the food.

As was mentioned above, perhaps Disney knows/knew that this kitchen couldn't handle the bigger crowds that discounts and reservations would bring. Just imagine what a disaster that would be. I truly hope they can find a way to make this concept work before the location goes empty again for a decade or two.

Djali999

Let's not forget that the kitchen was designed to service both restaurants from the start - back when it served both Liberty Tree and Adventureland Veranda.

I ate there a while ago. I guess I have what by WDW guest standards is an adventuresome palette, because I didn't see anything there that was remotely intimidating. I also wasn't thrilled with the food... it seemed to be comprising between being unique and appealing to a broad palette. The mac and cheese isn't really great mac and cheese but isn't unique enough on its own merits to make up for being weirdly cobbled together, for example.

I guess for me the "exoticism" of the menu isn't as much of an issue as straightforward quality. Back when AK was new, Tusker had great, substantial fast food that was unique for being so high quality despite having nothing to do with Africa. Salmon, chickens, etc. I'm not sure that being on-theme is as important as just serving tasty stuff. We need't be so literal about it. Great atmosphere, though!

roj2323

I certainly agree that the menu needs some tweaking,

I truly hope they can find a way to make this concept work before the location goes empty again for a decade or two.

The only thing I really think they should change is the Chinese broccoli to standard broccoli. The Chinese broccoli is simply disgusting and it doesn't look much better. I hope they find a way to make the restaurant work too.

halltd

The only thing I really think they should change is the Chinese broccoli to standard broccoli. The Chinese broccoli is simply disgusting and it doesn't look much better. I hope they find a way to make it work too.
I like the Chinese broccoli! I like it better than normal broccoli, too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom