Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

bhg469

I absolutely cannot wait for this to be open. I have about 95% snarky posts on this site and most of them I feel are justified criticism of the state of the parks, this restaurant is a breath of fresh air though. Its taking a cool theme that is not centered around a movie IP, and better yet its not anything centered around children.

Having said that... here is my snark

Menu item names... Regardless of how good the food is, if they continue with the corny naming that they seem to love lately I may have a complaint.

Shrunken ned's shrunken sliders? They look bite sized now, but when Ned's done with you they will be huge!
Amazon hot dogs that are anywhere from 12" to a foot long!

Last edited:

rael ramone

Some things I appreciate about this new restaurant: it is not tied to a modern day IP; it really adds a truly immersive, quality dining experience to this land (it needs it); it is also drawing on SEA - something that Disney created that is original in every sense.

I love this concept and cannot wait for it to open.

Agreed. Just reopening the place & serving something different is a win. Offering ethnic cuisines in a table service environment that has a definitive Disney feel (reminiscent of the 'good Eisner' era and the likes of Tony Baxter were key active members of WDI) is just piling on the goodness.

Now what we need from the Mouse:

Make the food good. Please don't dumb it down. Quality reminiscent of (at least) a mid scale mom & pop place - please not mall food court quality. Don't be afraid to use garlic, ginger, chilies, and spices that make these cuisines winners (in other words, don't do a 'Olive Garden' to the food). And *please* allow walkups - if there's a table open and someone wants to sit in it, seat them!!!! A variety of cuisines may invite multiple visits - a person liking the first visit might like to spontaneously visit again.

Now what we need from the Guests:

Please support this place as it's intended. Everything doesn't have to be burgers, chicken tenders, and Cockerell Fries. Your on vacation, try something different. If you like it, come back. If you don't, eat somewhere else - don't expect every place to serve the same plain food.

ToTBellHop

I absolutely cannot wait for this to be open. I have about 95% snarky posts on this site and most of them I feel are justified criticism of the state of the parks, his restaurant is a breath of fresh air though. Its taking a cool theme that is not centered around a movie IP, and better yet its not anything centered around children.

Menu item names... Regardless of how good the food is, if they continue with the corny naming that they seem to love lately I may have a complaint.

Shrunken ned's shrunken sliders? They look bite sized now, but when Ned's done with you they will be huge!
I would actually find that quite clever. If you don't like Jungle Cruise's dry humor (and I know a lot of folks don't), you probably won't like this place.

Before booking an ADR, ask yourself the following: Pier pressure: funny? If yes, book Skipper's Canteen. If no, book Liberty Tree Tavern.

I'm ecstatic that it will offer African, Asian, and South American-inspired flavors. Diversity of dining is not a strong suit of he MK.

SirLink

I absolutely cannot wait for this to be open. I have about 95% snarky posts on this site and most of them I feel are justified criticism of the state of the parks, his restaurant is a breath of fresh air though. Its taking a cool theme that is not centered around a movie IP, and better yet its not anything centered around children.

It may of been more a thing over here in the UK but I remember the ice creams lollies that had jokes on them. To African inspired corn dogs, call them "Corny Skipper Dogs" with the correct spices of a Merguez style sausage dipped in harissa batter. Have a witty joke of the stick a free cool souvenir for dining.

CaptainJackNO

Now, I know I'm being hopeful here, but I couldn't help but pick up on this quote from the news release, "Society of Explorers and Adventurers."

This seems like a reference to the Adventurers Club. Dare we wish that the show from the AC find its way into the Skipper Canteen. Excited with the possibilities!

Matt in the Hatt

First jock lindsey's now this one both connected to SEA let me get my hopes up and expect a disney SEA expansion of the MK bringing over attractions from overseas announced in 2020

Lee

Adventurer
Pictures of office are needed.
Well...maybe a small taste. Still, and shall remain, a work in progress.
image.jpg

Wasn't not as corny in the beginning and then the jokes were added over time? I wa understanding that it was treated as quite a serious cruise in the day. Or is this complete and utter rubbish?
No, you are correct. For the first couple of years it was played completely straight.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

bhg469

I would actually find that quite clever. If you don't like Jungle Cruise's dry humor (and I know a lot of folks don't), you probably won't like this place.

Before booking an ADR, ask yourself the following: Pier pressure: funny? If yes, book Skipper's Canteen. If no, book Liberty Tree Tavern.

I'm ecstatic that it will offer African, Asian, and South American-inspired flavors. Diversity of dining is not a strong suit of he MK.
I love the humor but I hate the naming convention that Disney seems to be fond of lately like at the star wars weekends and Jock's hanger. I guess if it fits anywhere, it would be here but their creativity is pretty bad. "squid, why'd it have to be squid" is the only thing i thought was clever.

bhg469

Wasn't not as corny in the beginning and then the jokes were added over time? I wa understanding that it was treated as quite a serious cruise in the day. Or is this complete and utter rubbish?
And I get that it is now but seriously we need much better than yodas broccoli and carrots.. My examples were actually not terrible in the grand scheme of things.

Wikkler

The transition to corny had already been completed by the time Magic Kingdom opened. So if you're talking about the one here, then yes, it always has been.

Sage of Time

I would have to say that tiki style drinks at this restaurant would be a no brainer. Of course they need to have a Trader Sam themed drink served in a shrunken head styled souvenir cup. Unfortunately, I'm sure they won't be offering any "two heads for one of yours" drink specials. Business there won't be drying up any time soon after it opens.

With BOG serving beer and wine for dinner and that so far there have not been any known issues of drunken guests causing problems at MK like we see at Drinkytown (Epcot) from time to time, one would have to think that overpriced watered down "alcoholic" beverages are in the picture here.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what the food menu will be. Hopefully we'll see some exotic items similar to Sanaa (not counting on it, just wishful thinking). Love hearing the news that it will be staffed by JC skippers, cannot wait to eat there. Also this should alleviate the issues of getting ADRs for BOG at dinner. Not that I want to eat at BOG for dinner, but having more table service options at MK will be welcomed. Assuming they will do the same at SC (oh look, a new acronym to learn) that they do at BOG.
Agreed in full. A little bit of alcoholic drinks in the MK seems to not have had any large effect on the place.

Bairstow

What still doesn't make sense to me is how far, distance wise, the Veranda is from the Jungle Cruise attraction itself.
Guests will actually have to leave the "Polynesian colonial" section of Adventureland, go through the incongruous Agrabah section, and then down into the outpost section where the Jungle Cruise is.

The addition of this restaurant is yet another reason to remove the Abrabah section and its dumb spinner entirely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom