Adventureland Smoking Section Removed

AEfx

Let's try no smoking anywhere in the parks! It's filthy and second hand smoke kills too.

I am sorry that perfumes cause that reaction for you but they do not bother the majority of the public. But smoking is something that is detrimental to the health of EVERYONE in the park.

Look, if you are anti-smoking, that's fine - but when you guys say such nonsense as this you just prove that you don't really know what you are talking about and worse, you are ignorant of the real dangers to your health.

Those smoking sections did not endanger anyone's health. "Second-hand smoke" does not mean what you think it does. It has to do with family members and co-workers in close proximity with smokers (like children who's parents smoke, for example) for MONTHS and YEARS. Smelling smoke once in awhile if you go near one isn't going to give you cancer and you won't find a single study that will say so. Even an asthmatic - if one whiff of smoke gives you an attack, your asthma is not controlled properly and it's a reactive instinct to the visual stimuli, not the actual smoke.

Why is that? Because there are FAR more toxic things you are inhaling on a daily basis, even at WDW. The fumes that aren't as obvious visually - that's why I laugh my butt off when folks complain about the one near the speedway - you do realize that it's far more dangerous to be inhaling the fumes from the vehicles? Or when you walk out at the end of the day and walk through the bus corrals - they changed to "cleaner" fuel awhile ago but that's just in terms of environmental emissions, and it wasn't that significant - you still are inhaling fumes much more toxic to you.

So again, be anti-smoking, that's fine - but ignoring the facts and acting like it's some major health risk for other guests is simply ridiculous - it's annoying to you, it's not a danger to your health.

AEfx

I said before, I Vape. There's is no harm in the Vape to anyone but I am relegated to the smoking areas. Why? People see the vape, assume it's smoke and go nuts. I don't want to be in the area with the smokers because I quit a year ago and I'm loving it. But I go, that's the rules. Until smoking is totally banned, find out of the way spots for them and everyone's happy.

I vape as well - and you can also get batteries with settings and juice with less glycerin that make it so there isn't any visual exhaust (it's artificially added to begin with to make it more satisfying to ex-smokers). I can vape anywhere - even a movie theater - and no one knows (wrap a napkin around the battery light and it's completely invisible). The worst thing that can happen is that I'm told I smell like a "vanilla cupcake", LOL.

Good luck to anyone trying to stop me - my batteries look more like Sharpies than anything else, and if someone gets a hair across their behind about it if they happen to be staring at me to notice, it slips in my pocket and again, good luck with that, LOL.

Bacon

Right.......
Shure.....
iu

CleoTheGoldfish

Being a smoker, some people will automatically claim I'm biased, which may be true but I am not so biased that I can't see reason. I understand that people don't enjoy walking through smoke, which is what the placement of the smoking section in adventureland resulted in, but why remove it when there are several unobtrusive places it could have been moved to? The section behind the Christmas Shoppe is no longer being used by Tiana, why not move us there? Smokers don't strive to make you uncomfortable, we don't want to detract from your vacation but we also want to be able to enjoy ours. I've already spoken with guest services about moving sections instead of removing and all they can say is that they will pass the message along, which is all we can ask. Hopefully if enough of us take the two minutes it takes to send an email Magic Kingdom can come up with a solution that can make everyone at least decently happy. So if you're unhappy take the time to let Disney know (they will respond) and not just post on a message board they may or may not monitor.

wdisneyw2000

WDW will eventually impose fines in the parks for smoking in an undesignated area just as they have done in the resorts. The resort fine is anywhere form $250 to $500 so the park fine will most likely be $150 for the first offense and it will be automatically added to your MagicBand.

How much are the fines for public drunkingness ? The drunks should be fined as well

Phil12

How much are the fines for public drunkingness ? The drunks should be fined as well
That's a security and law enforcement decision. Of course, alcohol is a money maker for all the Disney resorts and three out of the four parks therefore, Disney has a vested interest in the sale of adult beverages. Tobacco products have little to no profit margin for Disney since most folks import their own and Disney is left with the expense of cleanup associated with all the people such as George Geef:

DHoy

Ive dealt with smokers, vapors and pot heads during my tenure at Disney.

The few smokers I encountered were during later hours for example, one guest was watching wishes with his family and no one else was around... I made no comment until after the show "sir, I didn't want to interrupt your fireworks experience but the smoking section is over there" he was very apologetic and appreciative and thanked me for my information

The vapors I've dealt with are the worst; they always yell "ITS WATER VAPOR", and I apologize I'm sorry but park policy is that any smoking including smoking or vaping is limited to designated areas due to potential confusion or smoke/vapor

And the weed ... Smelt weed from the space mountain smoking are ALL the time never caught anyone

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Monday, October 30, 2017. The former smoking area near the entrance to Adventureland is now behind a construction fence. Behind the fence in the former smoking area is a laydown yard full of scaffolding. The fence extends all the way across the Adventureland bridge and around the first building to the right of the bridge, where characters used to hang out in the covered veranda.

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

ToTBellHop

Photo update as of Monday, October 30, 2017. The former smoking area near the entrance to Adventureland is now behind a construction fence. Behind the fence in the former smoking area is a laydown yard full of scaffolding. The fence extends all the way across the Adventureland bridge and around the first building to the right of the bridge, where characters used to hang out in the covered veranda.

View attachment 240879

View attachment 240880
Club 33 Cigar Lounge confirmed.

It’s what Walt would’ve wanted.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Look, if you are anti-smoking, that's fine - but when you guys say such nonsense as this you just prove that you don't really know what you are talking about and worse, you are ignorant of the real dangers to your health.

So again, be anti-smoking, that's fine - but ignoring the facts and acting like it's some major health risk for other guests is simply ridiculous - it's annoying to you, it's not a danger to your health.

Passive smoking is the inhalation of smoke, called second-hand smoke, or environmental tobacco smoke, by persons other than the intended "active" smoker. Maybe these facts from the CDC might sink in
  • Secondhand smoke is smoke from burning tobacco products, such as cigarettes, cigars, or pipes.
  • Secondhand smoke also is smoke that has been exhaled, or breathed out, by the person smoking
  • Tobacco smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals, including hundreds that are toxic and about 70 that can cause cancer
Vaping, while not producing smoke from combustion, does emit particulate matter, nicotine, lead and aluminum. Which is abnormal from regular human exhalation.

Live with the terms and conditions noted in the fine print of your admission media or don't, Florida law is quite straight forward in its remedy

Section 810.08 – Trespass in structure or conveyance.

(1) Whoever, without being authorized, licensed, or invited, willfully enters or remains in any structure or conveyance, or, having been authorized, licensed, or invited, is warned by the owner or lessee of the premises, or by a person authorized by the owner or lessee, to depart and refuses to do so, commits the offense of trespass in a structure or conveyance

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's not a matter of if Disney sees you, it's a matter of if the frantic "I got cancer from 100 feet away" folks complain.

It's also a trigger for asthma attacks for some cigarette smoke over the years has become increasingly acrid to the point where it seems to be on par with burning plastic.

Neither vape, pipe or cigar smoke is that irritating

Why?

AEfx

Passive smoking is the inhalation of smoke...

What in hell are you going on about?

If people wish to resurrect this thread from a year and a half ago, have at it - but please don't quote my posting (which you clearly didn't read, as nothing you have said refutes anything I said back then) just because you want to use it to make a proclamation from your high horse.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

If people wish to resurrect this thread from a year and a half ago, have at it - but please don't quote my posting (which you clearly didn't read, as nothing you have said refutes anything I said back then) just because you want to use it to make a proclamation from your high horse.

"I" didnt revive it, I laud Disney for eliminating that forced encounter with smokers.

JoeCamel

It is revived because WDW put up walls around this area to build Club 33 in the MK. Yes it would be better in the Club 33 thread but that is not where it landed.

Phil12

At Disneyland, the entire park is smoke free during the Halloween party. Another step in the right direction.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/smoking/
It's a step they must take to avoid eventual litigation. It has been documented by the U.S. Surgeon General that there is no safe level for exposure to secondhand smoke. Disney knows that every day they continue to allow smoking within the parks brings them one step closer to a lawsuit. As it stands now they have been able to demonstrate that they have implemented a gradual plan to eliminate smoking within the parks. Full implementation (i.e. a total smoking ban or the phase in of closed smoking rooms) will come.

JimW

Premium Member

Those smoking sections did not endanger anyone's health. "Second-hand smoke" does not mean what you think it does. It has to do with family members and co-workers in close proximity with smokers (like children who's parents smoke, for example) for MONTHS and YEARS. Smelling smoke once in awhile if you go near one isn't going to give you cancer and you won't find a single study that will say so. Even an asthmatic - if one whiff of smoke gives you an attack, your asthma is not controlled properly and it's a reactive instinct to the visual stimuli, not the actual smoke.

Why is that? Because there are FAR more toxic things you are inhaling on a daily basis, even at WDW. The fumes that aren't as obvious visually - that's why I laugh my butt off when folks complain about the one near the speedway - you do realize that it's far more dangerous to be inhaling the fumes from the vehicles? Or when you walk out at the end of the day and walk through the bus corrals - they changed to "cleaner" fuel awhile ago but that's just in terms of environmental emissions, and it wasn't that significant - you still are inhaling fumes much more toxic to you.

Unless the dogs are smoking, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom