Adventureland Smoking Section Removed

Goofyernmost

Universal has smoking areas all over the place. When was the last time you went to Universal?

As far as airport style, someone mentioned indoor controlled spaces a few posts ago, perhaps that is really the best solution?

Trust me, smokers don't want non-smokers to feel uncomfortable. The placement of smoking areas in highly trafficked areas (like the one at Adventureland) were stupid. They make smokers and non-smokers, on average, equally uncomfortable.
Not only that, but, I noticed that the ones in Universal are easy to find and in many cases themed to the area that they are in. The locations that Disney chose are or have been terrible because they didn't care or even think it was important. Apparently they still don't. They will and have lost business because of it. I guess those that are against smoking don't care. They also don't care if the person is having difficulties because of their addiction. If Tobacco was socially defined as a drug, they would be falling all over themselves to find a way to help people through it. Instead you hear... just quit, your habit is disgusting and dirty. A whole lot of caring in that statement.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Not only that, but, I noticed that the ones in Universal are easy to find and in many cases themed to the area that they are in. The locations that Disney chose are or have been terrible because they didn't care or even think it was important. Apparently they still don't. They will and have lost business because of it. I guess those that are against smoking don't care. They also don't care if the person is having difficulties because of their addiction. If Tobacco was socially defined as a drug, they would be falling all over themselves to find a way to help people through it. Instead you hear... just quit, your habit is disgusting and dirty. A whole lot of caring in that statement.

I tend to agree with you. I read that and support the idea that Adventureland was always a bad pick. The one by Space was kinda perfect. A sunken out of the way area that nonsmokers had to head to be exposed. I guess my fear is with areas being so far away from different lands guests will just find a corner. Plus condensing that many guests into just 2 locations is likely to make those areas too dense with smoke that it can't dissipate. I understand Fantasyland just out of principal. I've found at Disney the overwhelming majority were respectful and using the designated areas. Take them away, I just wonder how it will play out.

Goofyernmost

I tend to agree with you. I read that and support the idea that Adventureland was always a bad pick. The one by Space was kinda perfect. A sunken out of the way area that nonsmokers had to head to be exposed. I guess my fear is with areas being so far away from different lands guests will just find a corner. Plus condensing that many guests into just 2 locations is likely to make those areas too dense with smoke that it can't dissipate. I understand Fantasyland just out of principal. I've found at Disney the overwhelming majority were respectful and using the designated areas. Take them away, I just wonder how it will play out.
I agree. I am fearful that it will not turn out with a happy ending. Make designated areas plentiful and off the main path, even if it is between attractions and the likelihood that people will easily use them is very high. Take them all away or make them impossible to find and you will see people out in the pathways again. Even if they are willing to stop when a CM asks them, they will still have done much of the, so called, damage and they will just move to another location until they get spoken to again. The thinking is short sighted, unrealistic and uncaring about the problems of others. Unfortunately, that is what is happening on both sides of the argument, there needs to be a workable compromise if people are really serious and not just exercising a personal desire.

Last edited:

Minthorne

Walking through smoke if you are not a smoker isn't pleasant.
Standing in an attraction queue near someone with B.O. or smelly gas isn't pleasant.
Being in a hot crowded park listening to kids scream at the top of their lungs or adults yelling at kids or each other isn't pleasant.

I propose a "no yelling kids kids, only soft spoken adults, no smoking, only freshly showered and with a health digestive track and diet area for anyone who wants it. I'm thinking take all of Frontierland and Liberty Sq. Employ dogs than can smell for smoke, BO and poops and have social workers that screen people for quiet temperaments.

See sarcasm and irony all in one.

Smoking sucks. I think even most smokers think something like that. Between the health factors, stigma, and cost it can't just be the pleasure of smoking that keeps you coming back. It is an addiction and not easy for someone to just stop.
My serious opinion is there should be a few areas spread around the park that are secluded to allow smoking in the parks. The few spots that have been in Adventureland over the years have never been secluded and therefore far less than ideal choices.

On the other hand, I support a full ban on farting in the parks. ;)

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
This will lead to people "catching a drag" all over the park. As a former smoker, it wasn't a problem to walk a few yards to an approved location. I doubt someone getting the urge for a cig while they are walking down main street is going make a trip over to Frontier Land for a quick cig if it's out of their way. They'll find a little corner somewhere and light one up and take a few drags. Chances are they won' be caught (but they'll be subjected to a lot of lecturing and I'm sure some cursing will be incorporated in their response). If they do get caught its a quick "sorry...didn't know" and then they'll go find another corner a little it further down the line and repeat the exercise.

I actually think this will make the problem worse.

Sensesfailed

I like the idea of moving the ones that really are darn near the public walkways, but just eliminating and not trying to replace them seems a bit too much for me. I barely vaped while I was at the park last time and when I did, I obviously used the smoking areas as per Disney policy(more like Florida law, but, that's arguing semantics), but we'll see how this all works out in the end.

ThemeParkJunkee

I do think that moving the Adventureland smoking area was a good idea when they did it (randomly and overnight in my case see post on page 6?) Anyway, that was a horrible location. People eating a Dole whip wondering why they were surrounded by smokers was just so wrong. Glad that one is gone. My concern is that they can't find enough off the beaten path locations in the park to provide DSAs. I hated the fact that I smoked then and the locations for DSAs were kind of creepy in that they infringed on nonsmokers to a huge degree. I now just use an e-cig but can't use that in anything other than a DSA and I don't want to be around the smoke because it might make me want to start again.

I think every "land" needs a really out of the way DSA that doesn't move and everyone knows about so non smokers are not affected and smokers don't need to feel unwelcome in the world. Universal actually does do this rather well despite some posts. After four years absence. I could find the DSAs from my previous visit wihout issue. At WDW they could change at a days notice if it was a party night or something.

Brewmaster

Good. Now I can eat dole whips without smelling smoke
As long as I can still vape my Turkey leg-Churro™ blend while in the stretching room, I couldn't care less.
image.jpeg

Kingoglow

Personally, I'm happy about it. I've always had a strong dislike for cigarette smoke. But that's just me.

My two cents:
  1. Smoking's banned in most places in the United States nowadays. Somehow the world has not come to an end. And smokers have somehow (willingly or not) adjusted to this reality.
  2. A smoker's desire to light up doesn't trump the huge majority of park visitor's desire to not inhale nasty cigarette smoke.
  3. "It will become a free for all". Sure. If you say so. Until self entitled jerks start lighting up wherever, blow smoke at someone's baby (intentional or not), and the parents of said baby react by physically showing the smoker where he/she can put out the cigarette.
It's not just smokers who can get emotional about smoking.

Hyperbole. No one is blowing smoke in your babies face. It is ridiculous comments like this one that always turn smoking threads into a fight instead of a conversation. Stop it.

Kingoglow

Walking through smoke if you are not a smoker isn't pleasant.
Standing in an attraction queue near someone with B.O. or smelly gas isn't pleasant.
Being in a hot crowded park listening to kids scream at the top of their lungs or adults yelling at kids or each other isn't pleasant.

I propose a "no yelling kids kids, only soft spoken adults, no smoking, only freshly showered and with a health digestive track and diet area for anyone who wants it. I'm thinking take all of Frontierland and Liberty Sq. Employ dogs than can smell for smoke, BO and poops and have social workers that screen people for quiet temperaments.

See sarcasm and irony all in one.

Smoking sucks. I think even most smokers think something like that. Between the health factors, stigma, and cost it can't just be the pleasure of smoking that keeps you coming back. It is an addiction and not easy for someone to just stop.
My serious opinion is there should be a few areas spread around the park that are secluded to allow smoking in the parks. The few spots that have been in Adventureland over the years have never been secluded and therefore far less than ideal choices.

On the other hand, I support a full ban on farting in the parks. ;)

Just to add to your list, I find it unpleasant to be anywhere near someone who is drinking alcohol or has had a drink recently. Please ban all bars in Disney World too.

bhg469

Just to add to your list, I find it unpleasant to be anywhere near someone who is drinking alcohol or has had a drink recently. Please ban all bars in Disney World too.
Sorry friend but this argument is complete garbage. When I'm in my car and my windows are closed, I can often smell obnoxious smoke from a car in front of me at red lights. When I walk into a building it is lingering around where people congregate. In the parks you cannot smell peoples beer from 5 feet away but your can smell the smoke from 25... And second hand beer fumes aren't a carcinogen.

punkabella

I'm very happy to see the adventureland area gone. My DH was a smoker, and now exclusively vapes. He even hated going to the adventureland one. I think a big thing with all of this is respecting others. My dh alters his ecig so that it does not blow as much vape out when he exhales (or whatever) and uses a flavorless liquid so it doesn't smell when at WDW and out in public in general. It'd be nice if people didn't try to create the biggest vape clouds in the world, regardless if it is just water vapor.

I'd love for all of WDW to be smoke-free, but I also understand that a balance is needed. I rather have very remote smoking areas where people can still go rather than have to deal with subversive smokers who try to hide it in lines, while walking, etc. As for those that can't deal with the limitations, I'd say that WDW may not be the best choice in vacation spots to go to. It's not a disability where accessibility is needed and has to be provided.

FyreDansyr

With fewer smoking areas the problem I see is those areas will be very crowded. The large amount of foot traffic to those areas will be noticed by non smokers who will then start walking in the "off the beaten path" areas. Then they will complain about the smoke there. I agree that the adventureland smoking area was horribly placed but they need to come up with a better solution than cutting down areas. I personally will only smoke in designated areas even if I have to walk clear across the park but I know that a lot of people won't care where they light up.

Goofyernmost

With fewer smoking areas the problem I see is those areas will be very crowded. The large amount of foot traffic to those areas will be noticed by non smokers who will then start walking in the "off the beaten path" areas. Then they will complain about the smoke there. I agree that the adventureland smoking area was horribly placed but they need to come up with a better solution than cutting down areas. I personally will only smoke in designated areas even if I have to walk clear across the park but I know that a lot of people won't care where they light up.
Actually a number of small areas would almost completely eliminate the "crowd" thing and make it so it is hardly even noticeable, however, when it comes to stuff like that neither the Disney people, nor the anti-smoking people are prone to understanding reality or using common sense, so... that will not happen until the smoking in open areas gets out of control again, and I would bet that is going to happen before very long.

There are a few that don't care, but, it is very few. The last 4 or 5 times that I have gone to WDW, I don't think that I saw more then 4 people total over those times smoking outside of the designated area. It isn't as big a problem as we are made to believe. However, on two of those occasions a CM was no more then 20 feet away and decided that the view looking the other way was better. I don't blame them, they have no power to do anything and all they will get is abuse because people are such lovable animals.

NelleBelle

I understand your point, really I do. I don't need a pass, they are for people that really need them.
Guess my whole point is that, in Disney, and everywhere anymore, rights are being taken away. People don't care, UNLESS it effects them. Smokers have a right to smoke. Non smokers have a right not to be around the smoke. The solution? Out of the way spots for smokers. There's plenty of them. They can smoke, you can breathe.
I said before, I Vape. There's is no harm in the Vape to anyone but I am relegated to the smoking areas. Why? People see the vape, assume it's smoke and go nuts. I don't want to be in the area with the smokers because I quit a year ago and I'm loving it. But I go, that's the rules. Until smoking is totally banned, find out of the way spots for them and everyone's happy.

I totally support there being smoking sections and until recently, thought vaping was harmless (my brother used to vape and I would let him do it in my house as it didn't have any of the odors his cigarettes had/have). However, *stepping onto soapbox* I just want everyone who does vape to be EXTREMELY cautious because the lithium ion batteries can spontaneous explode, causing 3rd and 4th degree burns (I work in a burn center and we see this type of injury now occurring at least twice a week). So to those who vape, please please PLEASE be very very careful with the type of e-cig you use. Ok, everyone can continue slinging mud at each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom