Admission for a border line three year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas998

That’s stupid considering those of us are honest shouldn’t be penalized.

I guess I wasn't clear... I'm saying don't even bother charging for kids in stroller period even if the kid is 8 years old... If you charge for the stroller then Disney gets their money and everyone is happy... Well maybe not people with kids under the age of 3, but hey maybe it will cause some of them to hold off going and a few less stroller is a win for everyone in the park.

pax_65

You won't be asked to give proof of your child's age, but it's typical for CMs to ask the child how old they are (in a chatty and non-threatening way), so if you're tempted to game the system, keep in mind that you may not be the only one who has to be a party to the deception, and ask yourself if "teaching a toddler how to lie" is something with which you want to start your vacation.

I had a friend do this, telling the child "If they ask, tell them you're 2." and the child said, "But I'm 3!" and they were in an argument as they walked up to the gates because the child was honest and didn't feel comfortable lying. It was sad. :(

correcaminos

Try a high ponytail with a hairbow directly on top of her head.

If you want to cheat the system, that is. it would give us a chance to debate the ethics of something different for a change.
CMs know better than that. They'll measure up to the hair, not including it. I've seen this many times!

Back to the OP - if the kid is 3 and was 3 before the start of the trip they are charged as a 3yo. If you don't want to pay for them, go before the kid turns 3. Really there is no 'borderline' in this situation. Either they were under 3 before the start of the trip or they were not!

Phonedave

We recently went though this with a fundraiser my Rotary Club was running. It was an Oktoberfest, and we charge admission (because the live bands cost money and otherwise you get people who sit there for 5 hours watching the entertainment without buying any food or drink and then leave). We wanted to do Adults $5 each, and children free. We went back and forth about how to determine a childs age and what constitutes a child. The end result was we said "the heck with it" and let the parents decide. If two 40 year olds want to come with their 18 year old kid and call him a child, then so be it - keep your $5. Its a charity fundraiser event, and if people want to try and get you for $5, that's on them. Of course, if you wanted to drink, you had to be proofed, and then you were clearly not a child. The end result was, many families ponied up the $5 for their kids with no problem, but we had a few teenagers who came in as "kids"

I realize a WDW ticket is way more than $5 and WDW is hardly a chairty fundraiser, but the point is, some people are great about it, other try to get every last penny out of you. There really is not much you can do about it.

-dave

beachlover4444

Back in the old days we could pass a small 3 year old for 2 to save a buck or if they bordered on the adult price. Now that Disney has pretty much a lock on everyone's actual birthday and name and everything else with my disney experience where each person in your party gets created it's hard to get past that anymore. If you are using my disney experience and your tickets are linked and resorts are linked they know the age of everyone in your party. You cant get around it. We started taking our granddaughter at 9 months, they knew every trip since how old she was. We are making sure to go before April 18 because our grandson turns 3 next year. One fun thing is alot of the rides know your names and you either hear or see your name pop up and that's kinda fun. And cast members are far more aware to individualize experiences since they have all this info in hand. Definitely get a birthday button if you visit near your actual birthday because we visited mid may right smack in between 4 of our family members birthdays and all 4 got free cupcakes for 4 days, even a special star wars one. Every cast member said Happy Birthday to them. it was hysterical hearing happy birthday over and over.

Miceberg

Definitely get a birthday button if you visit near your actual birthday because we visited mid may right smack in between 4 of our family members birthdays and all 4 got free cupcakes for 4 days, even a special star wars one. Every cast member said Happy Birthday to them. it was hysterical hearing happy birthday over and over.
Can I ask where this magic happened? Going in a couple weeks for my SIL birthday and I'm sure she'd love a free cupcake.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Okay I wasn't thinking this thread would be super sensitive like this. Not my intention. I just have to wonder though, do CMs even care about the age of a kid (I mean a kid who may not be under three but can pass for it, not 8 year olds here) as much as some people on here do? I don't want this to be one of those "What would Walt do" things but would he have wanted that for his park for 3 year olds to be practically the price of adults? If a three year old is going to Disney he probably has two parents and maybe an older sibling. Do people think there are CMs that want to nickel and dime it that much?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Okay I wasn't thinking this thread would be super sensitive like this. Not my intention. I just have to wonder though, do CMs even care about the age of a kid (I mean a kid who may not be under three but can pass for it, not 8 year olds here) as much as some people on here do? I don't want this to be one of those "What would Walt do" things but would he have wanted that for his park for 3 year olds to be practically the price of adults? If a three year old is going to Disney he probably has two parents and maybe an older sibling. Do people think there are CMs that want to nickel and dime it that much?

It's not about the kid, it's not about the CMs, and it's not about Walt. It's about the parent doing the right thing.

Rsj88

We are thinking of taking a trip on my son’s third birthday next year. I had not really thought about how to pay for him since he will turn three half way though the trip and it would be a package deal. I guess it would have to be all or nothing.

POLY LOVER

In my experience and observing others with little kids that age, stay at home until they are at least 5 or 6, you and your kids will have a much better experience.
Even if you got them in for free you'll pay the price,

Pixieish

In my experience and observing others with little kids that age, stay at home until they are at least 5 or 6, you and your kids will have a much better experience.
Even if you got them in for free you'll pay the price,
That's ridiculous. We brought our youngest when he was 2 1/2, and we all had an awesome trip. It's just a matter of being prepared when you hit the parks and watching your child so you can step in when needed and provide a drink/snack or whatever.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Keep in mind, this was purely hypothetical for me. Just a question for the future. I didn't go to Disney today or anything. I was just asking what others did. Don't tell me there aren't people on here who had a kid who is small and barely 3 and they didn't think about it. Other than that Disney doesn't have my information, or my kid's information. I haven't been in 7 years. None were born.

My son turned 3 on March 30th. We went to WDW on April 7th. We did not buy him a ticket. I would NEVER pay hundreds of dollars for a 157 week old, when a 156 week old is free. If Disney doesn't want to offer actual "child" level prices, then this is the common sense offshoot.

Love reading the responses in here. I guess I am a liar and a cheat and my son is going to grow up to be a criminal. Womp Womp.

carnini

I get what your asking, its a much bigger expense for an extra little one who might not remember much if they are 2 at the time instead of three. I personally think they should raise it to be 3 and under are free.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Can I ask where this magic happened? Going in a couple weeks for my SIL birthday and I'm sure she'd love a free cupcake.
We were at DL but when my kids wore there button ever sit down restaurant we were in brought them a birthday cupcake. Most of the time they would whisper to me to ask if it was okay.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We are thinking of taking a trip on my son’s third birthday next year. I had not really thought about how to pay for him since he will turn three half way though the trip and it would be a package deal. I guess it would have to be all or nothing.
He is the age he is at check in for the whole trip. If hes 2 when he checks in Disney will not charge you if he turns 3 during the trip.

correcaminos

What would Walt do? Whatever that would make money. I think people forget sometimes that he wasn't always just pixie dust and fantasy - he was a ruthless businessman at times.

Plus what people care about shouldn't matter. The writing says 3 and over - that should be the end of it. You want to justify sneaking your 3yo in for free? Don't come to a forum to get people to make you feel better. Do it and shut up about it. FTR I took a 3yo to Disney with just the 3 of us. No older sibling. My 3yo was also tall enough to ride anything that was 40 inches or less. So he got to ride every ride that we wanted to at the time. Your argument doesn't hold water to me

DfromATX

I had a friend do this, telling the child "If they ask, tell them you're 2." and the child said, "But I'm 3!" and they were in an argument as they walked up to the gates because the child was honest and didn't feel comfortable lying. It was sad. :(

That's what I was thinking. Most 3 year olds are going to be pretty darn proud they are 3 and no longer "babies."

Phonedave

I would NEVER pay hundreds of dollars for a 157 week old, when a 156 week old is free..

You do know that agrument does not work unless they were to implement a sliding scale for the prices.

There is always going to be a cut off. Yesterday it was free, to day it is kids price. Yesterday it was kids price, today I am an adult. Lie about your kids age or not, I really dont care. but when people make the argument that "my kid is just over the age" or "my kids is just under the ride height" they are invalid arguments. IF you have a clearly delineated change in pricing, then you need a bright line where that pricing changes.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom