"Adios" El Rio del Tiempo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epcot82Guy

I have a feeling that the eventually the response is going to be "I'm okay with change as long as the 'spirit' of EPCOT Center is there"...

I understand your issue with the "spirit" argument, but it reallyh is true. The thing is that I firmly believe there was a way to make Epcot relevant and interesting without the characters (although, admittedly, still adult). TT, M:S, and Soarin' all work. I gravely miss the attractions they replaced (and I still think Horizons could have been maintained - but another issue). However, I do not feel the attachment. Instead, it frustrates me to see some attractions first get neglected and then accused of being dated and irrelevant in concept. I am all for Epcot progressing; not for it changing (and pvt me if you would like me to explain the difference in my head).

And to answer the previous post, the best year for Epcot for me would be 2006 IF the approach that brought us I:ROE, Soarin', TT, and the SSE revamp (adding in Tomorrow's Child) had been used to update the entire park.

Epcot82Guy

I think part of the reason is the unneccessary addition of cartoon characters to EVERYTHING. Stitch instead of a terrifying alien, Nemo instead of a realistic futuristic reaseach facility, Woody and friends instead of an "authentic" (albeit silly) saloon show. Instead of just being put into an interesting environment in the 1st person and letting us decipher the story through rich theming and loads of detail, we're forced to "watch" a plotline unfold in the 3rd person.

Not to keep bringing these guys up, but if you are a Disney park fan, and care just a little bit about the future, they really are a must read. Today's post talked about some of these same ideas:
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2006/11/magic-door_14.html

Excellent post. :wave: I will add that some prefer the watching the plotline, the detached observation park vs. the involved imagination-required park (and there is certainly an argument for both - but this board exists SOLELY because the latter was what build WDW and its fan base IMHO. That may have changed, but let's at least respect the foundation).

Eyorefan

I have to add that I am really begining to wonder about the people who are saying that the Mexican pavillion and ERDT are educational. Maybe it's because I'm from Texas, but going to the EPCOT version of Mexico is more like going to San Antonio, TX than Mexico.

Victor

Lots of arguments of Mexico Stereotypes being really bad and the 3 Amigos would only bring more.

Does that mean no more Foofie French hats either. No more Totums in Canada. No more Dragons in China. No more Banzi in Japan. No more Shriner hats in Morroco. No more Leider Hozen (flame away) in Germany. No more Fishing gear in Norway. No more British Rock in GB.

The shriner hats are called a fez :D The problem with this argument is that none of those are negative stereotypes, and all of those things really are native to those countries. Donald Duck has nothing to do with Mexico or it's culture.

Tim G

The things you argue about... get a life...
bad for your blood preasure...

and errr.... Mexicans love ánades...

a big plate with ánades mexicanos... :slurp: :slurp: :slurp:

So dunno... :D

Maybe duck fits in after all...

Empress Room

The poolside bar scene and pushy salespeople really should go, i can't believe that the Mexican government actually approved this (well, maybe, it is a tourism commerical). It seems to say "White people! We are a poor and simple people, come to Mexico where we will wait on you hand and foot!" It's not a very good representation of the history or culture of the country.

However, 60 year old Disney characters are NOT the answer either.

For better or worse, however, both the "pushy salespeople" and swim-up bars are still a very large part of Mexico. I noted both of them when I was in Cabo San Lucas last summer.

Stereotypical...maybe. Still in existence 25 years later...absolutely.

jedimaster1227

The poolside bar scene and pushy salespeople really should go, i can't believe that the Mexican government actually approved this (well, maybe, it is a tourism commerical). It seems to say "White people! We are a poor and simple people, come to Mexico where we will wait on you hand and foot!" It's not a very good representation of the history or culture of the country.

However, 60 year old Disney characters are NOT the answer either.

The charactes selling items to you were actually out of synch with their audio about a month ago. The bald man had the voice of the woman. I don't think my cousin and I had ever laughed so hard on that ride! :lol:

figmntal95

maybe the rehab is disney's plan to put use to disney movies no one's ever heard of, like the emperor's new groove got it's own tv show, and the certain rumored " brother bear raft ride " at canada and the nightmare before christmas thing at MGM. thats what i think anyway. no one i know has ever heard of the three cabs, none the less their movie.

figmntal95

The charactes selling items to you were actually out of synch with their audio about a month ago. The bald man had the voice of the woman. I don't think my cousin and I had ever laughed so hard on that ride! :lol:

i heard that too! that was funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tim G

maybe the rehab is disney's plan to put use to disney movies no one's ever heard of, like the emperor's new groove got it's own tv show, and the certain rumored " brother bear raft ride " at canada and the nightmare before christmas thing at MGM. thats what i think anyway. no one i know has ever heard of the three cabs, none the less their movie.

Or just maybe to promote the new Pixar Feature Film,

-= Nemo - Lost In Mexico =-

jedimaster1227

You got me this time!

But about those out of synch audio/video errors, it was basically like watching Figment start singing before the finale screens in Imagination came down. That was a riot too!

Captain Chaos

Personally, I don't mind the charaters coming to Mexico. I do like the ride as it is, but, it is outdated. Epcot is changing and whether you like it or not, you cannot change it. The only thing I can say is, if you don't like it, don't go. I, for one, welcome the change, embrace it, and I do not prejudge. If I don't like something (insert Mission Space here) then I don't do it. As much as I love Horizons, I will not complain about M:S. Things change. Rides go bye bye. We hope the new attraction is one we will like, and if not, oh well.

By the way, I asked before and I'll ask again... is that cheesy song staying or going? Because the song was kind of fun.

Why not? Why can't a revised, non stereotypical version of the three cabs work in ERDT? I really don't understand why everyone says this won't work.

Are you mexican? No, then you don't understand. Let's just throw animals in all the pavillions and make everyone happy. :fork: Beauty and the beast will now own france, Mulan will take over china, Snow white and the seven drawfs will have a ride in germany....WHAT'S NEXT?

I swear, I'm so very glad Disney hasn't made a japanese movie, I'd go crazy if they add anything to that pavillion. I've been talking to all my friends from mexcio pavillion on the ride home and they all think it's a DISGRACE!! to put the three caballeros on the ride. And being mexican and proud, I agree.

Plus I also talked to a manager at the pavillion today and he said it was just going to be a small refurb....painting and drilling and whatnot. I SURE HOPE SO!!

SirGoofy

Are you mexican? No, then you don't understand. Let's just throw animals in all the pavillions and make everyone happy. :fork: Beauty and the beast will now own france, Mulan will take over china, Snow white and the seven drawfs will have a ride in germany....WHAT'S NEXT?

I swear, I'm so very glad Disney hasn't made a japanese movie, I'd go crazy if they add anything to that pavillion. I've been talking to all my friends from mexcio pavillion on the ride home and they all think it's a DISGRACE!! to put the three caballeros on the ride. And being mexican and proud, I agree.

Plus I also talked to a manager at the pavillion today and he said it was just going to be a small refurb....painting and drilling and whatnot. I SURE HOPE SO!!

Do you like the way your country is portrayed in the ride though? Just curious. I mean with the pushy salesmen and pretty much focusing on the touristy side? If I went to a ride that portrayed America and all I saw was fast food and other American stereotypes I wouldn't be too happy with it.

Edit:Good post btw, dxer. Pretty much sums up my attitude about the changes in Epcot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom