Accommodation for fragrance-sensitive guests?

Future Guy

Hi! Mrs. Future Guy and I are planning a 5-day/4-night trip to WDW the first week of January. We plan to stay at the Contemporary, but there's a concern: my wife has a serious sensitivity to the artificial fragrances found in perfumes, air fresheners, and cleaning products. Do the cleaning staff at the resorts generally spray the room with some kind of air freshener? If so, will they honor a request to refrain from doing so? This is crucial, because if my wife gets a lungful of the stuff it'll lead to splitting headaches and extreme fatigue--in short, it'll ruin the vacation for her.

Thanks!

Rob562

Not sure if it's just certain fragrances that are only found in cleaning products are the problem, but be aware that there are artificial fragrances all over WDW that Disney uses for added effect... Off the top of my head they can be found in two places on Main Street, on Soarin', Dinosaur, Sunset Blvd, Kali River Rapids.

-Rob

Upvote 0

CMTinkerbell99

have it noted on your resort reservation

Call the reservation center or your travel agent and explain the allergies. Special requests will be contacted and a note will be put on the reservation for a VIP clean. Make sure you explain to have fragrance free cleaning. They can even VIP wash the sheets and bedding. There should not be a problem if it is noted on the reservation with what she is allergic too.

As for attractions and shops; everyone has already posted everything I can think of. Also just like anywhere she goes there is the risk of being near either a smoker or someone who wears too much perfume. Does she have issues at the mall when she goes shopping or the grocery store? I would make sure she brings something to controll an allergy attack just incase she does run into something that triggers an allergy attack.

HTH

Upvote 0

corey154

stay away from journey into imagination with figment in epcot, there's a scent part of the ride where they spit out different scents.

Also, I'd contact your resort I'm sure they'd work with you. I can say I've never noticed any strong scents in my resorts.

Third thing, be carefull of those around you in line. Some ladies wear pretty strong perfumes.

Upvote 0

GrannyJill2

I, too, am very sensitive to fragrances, but I've never noticed the rooms having a strong odor (good or bad).

The previous posters have given you good tips on what attractions may cause her problems. I hope Mrs. Future Guy has a fabulous time, and you too. :)

Upvote 0

Crazy4WDW1

If you do contact guest relations, or the resort manager directly, please let us know what they say. I am interested to know how they deal with guests that are sentative to smells, etc.

Upvote 0

mickey7879

If you do contact guest relations, or the resort manager directly, please let us know what they say. I am interested to know how they deal with guests that are sentative to smells, etc.

I LOVE your signature!!! :sohappy:All the time people ask us why we don't travel to other places. Like we don't know there's more to see than just Disney. I also love the question "Don't you ever get sick of going?". NOPE! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
CMTinkerbell99 pretty much summed it up. Also a special note it would be a good idea for her to avoid the shops at Norway, England and France. All three have perfume sections and the smell from them can be incredibly strong and this is coming from someone with almost no sense of smell.

Upvote 0

MissM

CMTinkerbell99 pretty much summed it up. Also a special note it would be a good idea for her to avoid the shops at Norway, England and France. All three have perfume sections and the smell from them can be incredibly strong and this is coming from someone with almost no sense of smell.
Yoda brings up a great point. Norway is torture for me since they closed the other doors that you used to be able to access the shops through and now require you to funnel past the perfume section first. I avoid the perfume shop in France and England entirely. (I can be in the Tea part of the England shop without problem but do not venture further than that.) France is also a separate section from other areas such as the pastry shop. But since there's no other doors/access to the shops in Norway anymore (the other doors are closed), you'll need to avoid the shops entirely.

(I am hyper scent sensitive due to migraines so I feel your Future Mrs.'s pain. Especially when people don't understand the seriousness of it.)

Upvote 0

smk

Great point! Most perfumes and hairsprays give me a headache. It can be torture for me to be around someone who smells good!

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
We have actually had clients with the same exact thing and we contacted the resort and let them know that under no circumstances were they to use any cleaning products, ect that were scented.

I have asthma myself and a lot of different cleaning products bother me as do pretty much any perfume or cologne....

Good Luck!

Pam

Upvote 0

fosse76

Not sure if it's just certain fragrances that are only found in cleaning products are the problem, but be aware that there are artificial fragrances all over WDW that Disney uses for added effect... Off the top of my head they can be found in two places on Main Street, on Soarin', Dinosaur, Sunset Blvd, Kali River Rapids.

-Rob

Sunset Blvd.? Kali? What artificial fragrances are used there?

Upvote 0

kjdean49

I, too, have problems with fragrances but have not had too much of a problem at WDW. I carry Excedrin Migraine with me just in case I feel the migraine coming on.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
stay away from journey into imagination with figment in epcot, there's a scent part of the ride where they spit out different scents.

Also, I'd contact your resort I'm sure they'd work with you. I can say I've never noticed any strong scents in my resorts.

Third thing, be carefull of those around you in line. Some ladies wear pretty strong perfumes.

But nothing that compares with AXE. ;) (A very strong inexpensive male fragrance that seems to very popular with a lot of young men)

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Try to ask them not to spray perfumes in your room or if it is their policy try to make sure they use organic perfumes.

Ok--let me just say that this cracked me up. Not 30 seconds ago, my cat came in to "use the box"

We have "organic perfume" in this room right now.

brb

whew!! much better.

No one has mentioned the orange scents in Soarin' yet

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom