Accommodation for fragrance-sensitive guests?

Future Guy

Hi! Mrs. Future Guy and I are planning a 5-day/4-night trip to WDW the first week of January. We plan to stay at the Contemporary, but there's a concern: my wife has a serious sensitivity to the artificial fragrances found in perfumes, air fresheners, and cleaning products. Do the cleaning staff at the resorts generally spray the room with some kind of air freshener? If so, will they honor a request to refrain from doing so? This is crucial, because if my wife gets a lungful of the stuff it'll lead to splitting headaches and extreme fatigue--in short, it'll ruin the vacation for her.

Thanks!

CamiLyn227

I have athsma and allergies. Both are argavated by purfumes and the like. We just got back a few weeks ago from WL and I never had any problems this time. In the past I have gotten a room that had a perfume smell. I just told the front desk and they gave me a new room!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Sunset Blvd.? Kali? What artificial fragrances are used there?

Maybe the smell of burning forests on Kali ?

if that's the case then you have to add Spaceship Earth's Rome Burning scene as well.

The 'acid' room in Test Track also has a slight smell to it.

-dave

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

Our family too has many allergies and I have never encountered a problem at the resorts. It's always the attractions/stores.

Also after you ride the Malestrom ride at Norway, I always take a left out of the store as soon as I can before going into the last section of the store-it's filled with perfume from what I remember

Best of luck on your vacation

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

If you're the type of couple that likes to dine at the various resorts, be careful as many of them often use strong scents to evoke certain ambiance, the 2 Lodges (Wilderness & Animal) come foremost to mind. I was actually quite fond of the scents they had at AKL, but if someone had a sensitivity to fragrances, I can imagine it being overwhelming.

Slightly off-topic, I normally have no issues with scents, but the only two times I ever waked into Basin in DTD, I immediately lost the ability to breathe. Don't have an issue in any other store, even fragrance/specialty soap stores. But Basin, for some reason, gets me right in the lungs.

Upvote 0

AimeeH

Hi! Mrs. Future Guy and I are planning a 5-day/4-night trip to WDW the first week of January. We plan to stay at the Contemporary, but there's a concern: my wife has a serious sensitivity to the artificial fragrances found in perfumes, air fresheners, and cleaning products. Do the cleaning staff at the resorts generally spray the room with some kind of air freshener? If so, will they honor a request to refrain from doing so? This is crucial, because if my wife gets a lungful of the stuff it'll lead to splitting headaches and extreme fatigue--in short, it'll ruin the vacation for her.

Thanks!
I have MCS and have same issues (just an hour in a bed with linens that have fragrance detergent would do me in for days) definitely would like to know where you guys stayed and if it was “safe” for your wife.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

I have MCS and have same issues (just an hour in a bed with linens that have fragrance detergent would do me in for days) definitely would like to know where you guys stayed and if it was “safe” for your wife.
I don't see any posts from the OP after 2014. It might be better for you to start your own thread and ask the forums if anyone else has made a request like this recently and how it went.

Upvote 0

MickeyLuv'r

We have made this request in the past at one of the WDW hotels and some non-WDW ones. It was a little trade-off, because we waited extra time for our room to be ready (that may not always be the case, but it was for us). Since then, we haven't made any requests at WDW, but we've never had a problem at the Contemporary. Compared to other WDW and non-WDW hotels it is lower fragrance, IMO.

Ones where we more notice a fragrance are BC/YC, and GF. Oh, and the Hard Rock at Universal!

Disney is usually pretty responsive to this type of request, or at least they were in years past.

Upvote 0

AimeeH

We have made this request in the past at one of the WDW hotels and some non-WDW ones. It was a little trade-off, because we waited extra time for our room to be ready (that may not always be the case, but it was for us). Since then, we haven't made any requests at WDW, but we've never had a problem at the Contemporary. Compared to other WDW and non-WDW hotels it is lower fragrance, IMO.

Ones where we more notice a fragrance are BC/YC, and GF. Oh, and the Hard Rock at Universal!

Disney is usually pretty responsive to this type of request, or at least they were in years past.
Thank you so much. And what is BC/YC, and GF? (sorry, we haven’t been as much as most people probably.)

Upvote 0

MickeyLuv'r

You might want to look at a balcony room at Swan or Dolphin. (=a room with a balcony)

Off the top of my head, I can't say 100% for certain zero fragrance, but I do not recall the hotel having one, and I'm sure I remember if it did have a strong fragrance. In room requests with Marriott, there's a comments section when you book to request allergen-free. Plus, if you book a balcony room, you'll be able to open the balcony sliding glass door and quickly air the room no matter what. Of any hotel, Swan is about as close as you can get to HS, and Dolphin is just a little further. They share a shuttle boat launch. If you want to get to HS early, you can't do any better, because it is short walk over- no bus/boat/etc needed. they are not official WDW hotels, so they have a few small amenity differences, but that's about it. At present, the only one that matters is no Magic Express. You need to arrange transportation from the airport.

Boardwalk is currently closed, and BC/YC (I combine them because they are kinda one hotel) has fragrance.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom