Accident on Pirates

cw1982

Am I insensitive? I didn't care if it was a child and I don't care how much body he loses, if he's stupid enough to hang it outside of his ride vehicle, despite multiple warnings.

I figure that's one less stupid person in the world, because I bet he learned his lesson.

Except...

1) When a child does something dumb like that, one tends to blame their parents until they reach a certain age. I would hate to see a child permanently lose a chunk of a body part (or two) due to their parents not keeping a closer eye on the situation (in the case of younger children), teaching them to obey rules better (for older kids), etc. At least in this case the guest's injuries are admittedly his own fault and not due to someone else's idiocy; in this regard, yes, it would have been worse if it happened to a child.

2) We can hope that this person learned a lesson from the situation, but if I had a dime for every time I saw people not learn from their mistakes, I'd be rich by now.

Personally, I'm just glad the situation wasn't worse and that the man is apparently owning up responsibly.

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
That certainly wasn't the envelope when they built WDW Space mountain. I'm 6 feet tall, and if I put my hands out and just stretch my shoulder a little extra, I can make contact with the top of the tunnel before the lift, and hit wood (?) panels that are above the track at least 3 times during the course of the ride. I think I can also sometimes make contact with things to the side. There are a few panels that my finger tips will slide along then hit another panel a little lower and slide there.

It certainly is possible to hit parts of the structure on WDW Space.

My suggestion would be to stop testing the safety factors on rides. But that's just my opinion....and Darwin's.

TimeTrip

My suggestion would be to stop testing the safety factors on rides. But that's just my opinion....and Darwin's.
I just figured that Disney wouldnt make the structure reachable, because I was aware of clearance testing. I just happened to find out with a little bit of extra reach that it is reachable :). It was definitely a surprise.

DManRightHere

really? after all the time they took at 7dmt with the templates to make sure nothing touches, that they wouldnt do that with ALL high-speed rides, so no one has an amputation event, or a decapitiation?

Remember how old some of Disney's rides are. We would lose a lot of rides if they required the same standards. Not saying the rides are unsafe, just people choose not to follow directions and/or common sense.

Yankee Mouse

Even though this incident was the guest's fault, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit claiming Disney didn't do enough to prevent an injury.
Yes there are rules announced and posted, but if there is that much of a danger then one could argue they should have more in place, like guardrails to prevent injury. What if someone doesn't speak English, or Spanish, since IIRC those are the only two languages the rules are posted/announced in?

Please note, I am not agreeing with it the idea of a lawsuit in this case, but I could easily see that argument being presented.

Buried20KLeague

Disney won't give this guy a penny. They can't. If they do the next person who gets hurt on their own volition will expect a hand out.

If this guy tries to go to court, Disney will be there with lawyers. Disney very rarely lose injury cases or settle. Linking a handful of cases Disney has lost or settled over almost 60 years would be a silly endeavour.

LOL

Buried20KLeague

This guy will unfortunately get settlement money. Cast Members on the ride that say "keep hands inside the vehicle at all times", by law, is not a suitable defense to guard against accidents. In Law, announcing this, makes Disney more liable, showing their awareness to something bad that can happen. Defense Lawyers will argue rails should be on the boats.

Saying "keep hands inside at all times" is comparable to the "beware of dog" sign law. It may be everywhere, but in New York State, if a kid gets bit by a dog, with the owners having that sign posted, it is an instant loss for the owners, plus damages are multiplied. The Beware of dog sign is the worse thing a person could hang up on their property because you are announcing you have an aggressive dog.

Now I know some might argue this, but my Wifey is a lawyer and she said all of this when the story first came out. l

Hey @dadddio ... Take notes.

dadddio

Even though this incident was the guest's fault, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit claiming Disney didn't do enough to prevent an injury.
Yes there are rules announced and posted, but if there is that much of a danger then one could argue they should have more in place, like guardrails to prevent injury. What if someone doesn't speak English, or Spanish, since IIRC those are the only two languages the rules are posted/announced in?

Please note, I am not agreeing with it the idea of a lawsuit in this case, but I could easily see that argument being presented.
The language thing is a non-issue since the guest understood the warnings in English. Remember, he has to show that they didn't reasonably protect him, not any other person that might ride the ride.

Tom Morrow

At most you will have a more pronounced safety spiel at Pirates load.

This symbol is visible on every ride seat:
947.jpg

natatomic

At most you will have a more pronounced safety spiel at Pirates load.

This symbol is visible on every ride seat:
947.jpg

Come on, now Tom. That picture only states you're not allowed to have your hands up in the air in a waving manner. It says nothing about having your hands down low! In fact, I'm pretty sure it's telling me that since they are not to be up above my head, they MUST be placed as low as possible! Heck, there isn't even any water in the picture, so I wouldn't even know where to put my hands if there's water near me! But I do know that Florida is hot, and water is cool and refreshing, so I assume the water is there for me to play with as I see fit. I always thought Pirates was my own personal pool, honestly.

BigTxEars

Count me in the "guy did stupid thing, guy paid the price" camp. I find it hard to have a bunch of sympathy for this self inflicted injury to be honest. Too much bad in the world happening to people that is not their fault at all to worry about the self inflicted nasty things.

Besides now he can say he lost his finger in a pirate attack, that's gotta be a good pickup line for the chicks in a bar :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom