About the Living Seas Ride

Figment1986

wait. why would they be "forcer" to modify an attraction that has been open and running for so many years if they tried to reopen it latter..

I can see some things.. but adding doors to a ride that hasn't changed much makes no sence..

(sad the removed a great personal touch to Epcot..)

barnum42

Figments Friend said:
Hi Mark...

Can you tell me more about this "Wave Goodbye"?

I have not heard of it until now....i think i know what it is, but wanted to ask for the official news!

Thanks!
I'm not Mark, but I know to what he referred - after illuminations, the majority of guests file out towards the main entrance, which involves passing on one side or other of the fountain in Future World where a group of cast members from various attractions and countries would have assembled, donned Mickey hands and wave goodbye to the guests as they headed towards the exit. It was a simple, yet nice touch.

Lee

Adventurer
Figment1986 said:
wait. why would they be "forced" to modify an attraction that has been open and running for so many years if they tried to reopen it latter..

There is no "forcing" to it at all. The ride is perfectly safe and could reopen without any changes to the vehicles at all...if they wanted to, that is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting, Lee. So the stories of a tank leak wern`t all they seemed to be? Purely cost cutting? Grrr... Do you know anything regarding the hologram instalation / Nemo sub style tank effects Grizz and others have mentioned?? Sorry to ask so many questions but you seem to have an ear to very good ground normally.

EpcotMark

Original Poster
IF I understand this correctly, the ride "could" re-open just the way it is at seas. However, for whatever reason, there are some technical issues in addition to the lack of doors on the vehicles, possibly some water leaking in the ride area as well as some technical difficulties with the ride system. I know nothing of these strange rumors of Nemo holograms or whatever. Probably someone's idea that got translated to reality due to excitement.

General Grizz

WDI has been in the Sea Cabs area in an attempt to make the ride part of the refurbished Seas pavilion. The idea was to install hollograms of Nemo and friends, however, the Imagineers ran into some trouble.

I have also heard of these safety issues and the leakages. For these reasons, I've heard this specific idea be thrust in and out of the forefront. . . but because this change involves Nemo, a popular and marketable character, it's been easier to get the budget for this project compared to others (such as Energy).

As of a few weeks ago, marks were made in the ground around the pavilion as Imagineers have been taking note of the building design.

Lee

Adventurer
marni1971 said:
Interesting, Lee. So the stories of a tank leak wern`t all they seemed to be? Purely cost cutting? Grrr... Do you know anything regarding the hologram instalation / Nemo sub style tank effects Grizz and others have mentioned?? Sorry to ask so many questions but you seem to have an ear to very good ground normally.

I have heard of some issues with the tank, but I don't know anything specific.

Holograms? Yep. That was one plan, as I hear it. Like Turtle Talk only...more.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It`s worrying that what must be the most simple of Omnimover systems could have technical difficulties - unless it is connected with retro fitting doors perhaps.

I`ve said it before - surely any issue with the tanks integrity (leaks) would involve not just closing the ride, but most of Futureworld and the parking lot too!

If push did come to shove (for better or for worse) and the entire pre Seabase area was renovated, I hope they make full use of the available space - Seacabs and original second preshow theatre.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The majority of the problem are the doors.

I know a few CMs who worked the attraction until it closed. If anything stuck out of a door, particularly the foot of a tall male, it would "skim" the intrusion mats and cause a full-blown E-stop. Everyone on the moving platform would fall, including the CMs who were very against the ride's existence because of the injuries it caused, and the ride would need to be reset.

In short, not having doors was an over-sight that lead to huge problems. It's also a major safety issues from the implied perspective - no doors means you're free to hop out (suggests it atleast in the way lawyers see the world).

Of course children, small adults, guide dogs, etc - could be injured by accidentally falling, slipping, stepping, etc.. out of the doorway while the ride was moving.

About the tank - it has problems. Not "gonna collapse and flood the world" problems, but needs to be drained and cleaned and repainted and rehabbed type problems.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting - but I`m sure the worlds greatest collection of imagination and engineering can come up with a door system even Eisner would green light (unless they`re waiting until October :animwink: )

I never considered an E-stop and the moving walkways - although I did think the huge padded posts along the walkways were a bit over the top. Now I understand why.

If the tank is drained (has it been completely so since 1986?) are there contingincies to keep its inhabitants on property?

raven

IMO, the seacabs were a let down. I waited forever it seemed to get on them then once you got comfortable the ride was over. It went in a circle then was over.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Don`t forget the straight bit :lol:

They wern`t nearly as involved as `The Seas` version as originally planned, but still helped tell the pavilion`s story - they hark back to earlier times when they could have simpily been ommited for a few million dollars saving but wern`t....

Epcot82Guy

very true. Actually, I think a smaller version of the Seas attraction could be a great way to enhance the Living Seas. Incorporate Nemo or Mr. Ray as a guide, and travel through realistic sets. Has some strong potential IMHO.

ZHoyt

Seacabs were never great, but their absence is absolutely horrible! Let's hope WDI can get SOMETHING put in soon.

Figments Friend

Yes, it would be nice to have the Seas 'living" again....

Surely by the time EPCOT celebrates it's 25th Anniversary there will be something in place. Perhaps this is the plan....wait until the current celebration/promotion is over and then hit EPCOT with evengence in a good way to spruce things up a bit. The Seas could do with a overhaul, i think everyone agrees in some sense about this.

Now i see why the SeaCabs were tricky to keep running...i rememeber that walkway mentioned above. There was a similar one that opened with the original Imagination ride and they had similar problems with the moving area causing Guests to sometimes stumble. Surely there is another way they could handle this and re-open them somehow.

I look forward to that day, but only hope it will be well worth it and not another "disapointment" rehab. We have had too many of those already! :)

agdbeanie

Figments Friend said:
Yes, it would be nice to have the Seas 'living" again....

Now i see why the SeaCabs were tricky to keep running...i rememeber that walkway mentioned above. There was a similar one that opened with the original Imagination ride and they had similar problems with the moving area causing Guests to sometimes stumble. Surely there is another way they could handle this and re-open them somehow
Isn't the same type of walkway that's used on the Haunted Mansion and the PeopleMover?

AimeeEvans

Hey- mousermerf- you make me nervous about the repairs that are needed with the tank. I'm scheduled to dive at TLS on July 6. Should I be worried???? Aimee

DisneyDellsDude

Could someone please tell me what the wave good-bye fountain is?

I was just there during the holiday season and they just used a laser and wrote happy holidays on Spaceship Earth. (which was awesome bye the way!:) )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom