ABC/Lost/Disney Question..........

whitemule28

Im not sure if anyone has made this point yet, but I feel like its about time that its made. For all of you who say that "Lost would not make a good attraction because the show is ending in 2 years and it will no longer garner enough public interest to justify putting money into an attraction that won't open until it ends", you couldn't be more wrong. Let's apply some logic to the situation. Rumor has it that WDW is building a Monster's Inc. Coaster, correct? So lets compare the two:
With Monster's Inc. you get 92 minutes of run time from 2001. It doesn't have an ongoing tv series like say Little Mermaid or Stitch to carry it does it? So basically all you have to carry it is the DVD, which Lost also has thus taking into account multiple viewings of the same material, so thats a wash. Lost at its end will have over 100 hours of material, not including all of the fan-fiction and fan-sites associated with it. You may say "well I lost interest in it because I didnt understand it." Did you watch at least 2 episodes of it? Then you watched more Lost than you have Monsters, Inc. And although you may not understand it, or even like it for that matter, did everyone understand and love The Twilight Zone? I sure dont understand every episode of that that Ive seen, but its an amazing attraction.

Now let me summarize. Im not bashing Monsters, Inc (or any other Disney or Pixar film or attraction). Great movie and I would welcome the attraction. But you cant make relevency arguments when all movie based attractions come out long after the film and are drawing from a much smaller material pool. What it all comes down to is the Imagineering of the attraction and what they decide to do with the material that they have, which they will have more than enough of by shows end. An attraction doesnt have to be as intricate as the show. It can rely solely on the adventure and multiple exotic locations featured in the show.
And please dont try and come back at me with Ticket and DVD sales figures, because the two are near impossible to compare when taking into account repeat vs new viewing audience (like I said 2 episodes = 1 viewing of Monsters, Inc.), DVD price (As a casual fan of both I am much more likely to purchase a $20 dvd over a $60 series set), etc. Its too late in the day and my brain hurts too much to try and research and calculate these things. So dont hate, just admit that the material is there and that it all depends on what the Imagineers use it to accomplish.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Oh, nevermind. That said, I don't really know what would work as an attraction. I don't want to see a ride based on it, but something like what they've done with Narnia would be fun. You enter into a Dharma initiative base or something and see a show based on it or something like that.

I was just thinking this same thing - Narnia is screaming at me when I was reading this post - if they can't get a handle on making a more exciting Narnia attraction/ride - which is a movie with a big fan base, how are they going to do anything for Lost - let alone living up to the expectations of the Losties (Which I too, am one - and got sucked into the 3 hours of television perfection last night). :)lol (and I agree KStella - the respect for others comment and language OP chose to use...confusing).

WDWmazprty

I was just thinking this same thing - Narnia is screaming at me when I was reading this post - if they can't get a handle on making a more exciting Narnia attraction/ride - which is a movie with a big fan base, how are they going to do anything for Lost - let alone living up to the expectations of the Losties (Which I too, am one - and got sucked into the 3 hours of television perfection last night). :lol:

Wasn't it great!??!

9.gif
29.gif

SirGoofy

I was just thinking this same thing - Narnia is screaming at me when I was reading this post - if they can't get a handle on making a more exciting Narnia attraction/ride - which is a movie with a big fan base, how are they going to do anything for Lost - let alone living up to the expectations of the Losties (Which I too, am one - and got sucked into the 3 hours of television perfection last night). :lol (and I agree KStella - the respect for others comment and language OP chose to use...confusing).

Probably not the best thing to compare it too...considering Disney dropped Narnia.

AREM

Original Poster
Im not sure if anyone has made this point yet, but I feel like its about time that its made. For all of you who say that "Lost would not make a good attraction because the show is ending in 2 years and it will no longer garner enough public interest to justify putting money into an attraction that won't open until it ends", you couldn't be more wrong. Let's apply some logic to the situation. Rumor has it that WDW is building a Monster's Inc. Coaster, correct? So lets compare the two:
With Monster's Inc. you get 92 minutes of run time from 2001. It doesn't have an ongoing tv series like say Little Mermaid or Stitch to carry it does it? So basically all you have to carry it is the DVD, which Lost also has thus taking into account multiple viewings of the same material, so thats a wash. Lost at its end will have over 100 hours of material, not including all of the fan-fiction and fan-sites associated with it. You may say "well I lost interest in it because I didnt understand it." Did you watch at least 2 episodes of it? Then you watched more Lost than you have Monsters, Inc. And although you may not understand it, or even like it for that matter, did everyone understand and love The Twilight Zone? I sure dont understand every episode of that that Ive seen, but its an amazing attraction.

Now let me summarize. Im not bashing Monsters, Inc (or any other Disney or Pixar film or attraction). Great movie and I would welcome the attraction. But you cant make relevency arguments when all movie based attractions come out long after the film and are drawing from a much smaller material pool. What it all comes down to is the Imagineering of the attraction and what they decide to do with the material that they have, which they will have more than enough of by shows end. An attraction doesnt have to be as intricate as the show. It can rely solely on the adventure and multiple exotic locations featured in the show.
And please dont try and come back at me with Ticket and DVD sales figures, because the two are near impossible to compare when taking into account repeat vs new viewing audience (like I said 2 episodes = 1 viewing of Monsters, Inc.), DVD price (As a casual fan of both I am much more likely to purchase a $20 dvd over a $60 series set), etc. Its too late in the day and my brain hurts too much to try and research and calculate these things. So dont hate, just admit that the material is there and that it all depends on what the Imagineers use it to accomplish.

THANK YOU!!!

So true.

And wasn't the premier AMAZING?? I agree, I only breathed during the commercials. And the first few minutes of the episode was incredible.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
And wasn't the premier AMAZING?? I agree, I only breathed during the commercials. And the first few minutes of the episode was incredible.

Yes!! I kept in on Tivo so I could watch it again! Just in case I missed anything!!!! Oh - one funny thing and totally not a spoiler...but did you see the price of gas during a scene in LA! ha ha it was $3.22 - so you can totally tell when it was filmed!

WDWmazprty

Yes!! I kept in on Tivo so I could watch it again! Just in case I missed anything!!!! Oh - one funny thing and totally not a spoiler...but did you see the price of gas during a scene in LA! ha ha it was $3.22 - so you can totally tell when it was filmed!

LOL, I didn't notice the gas price; I'll have to go back and look. :ROFLOL:

Phonedave

You could argue the same about Twilight Zone as while it was once a popular show, its more about how great the attraction is.

Picture it like Dinosaur:
I could easily see the line-up looking like an airport and then you enter a crashed plane and then onto a VW dharma bus.

You casually drive around the beach with Sawyer calling random people funny names like 'hey Jumbotron' or 'freckles' and see some of the cool secondary characters.

Suddenly, you go into the jungle a bit and your engine gives out and you hear the 'spooky' whispers. The whispers get louder and you hear 'the monster!' Luckily the engine starts up again and you zoom through the jungle this way and that while running into characters screaming 'run this way, lets hide in the hatch!'

The Bus drives through the backdoor of the first hatch and you see the clock reach zero and that wonky stuff starts happening...quickly you race out from the hatch and through the jungle again.

While driving through the jungle you see 'the smoke monster' chasing you and catching up and suddenly you make it to the 'others' suberb. Things slow down a bit and you see Ben and Juliet talking about the losties. When they notice you they start firing at the bus and you tear off into the jungle.

While rounding a corner you run into face to face with the Smoke monster, who reflects you into his smoke. as he gets ready to strike Hurley comes out and says somethign really funny and the bus drives through this tunnel that takes you back to LA.

Thats just one idea, I'm sure you could come up with tons and tons of rides that would be super fun to ride.

The thing is, somthing like the Twighlight Zone is most of mainstream America know about it and gets the concept.

If you say "what is the Twighlight Zone" to somone on the street, chances are pretty high you will get somthing like "a freak place where weird things happen" They wont know particular episodes but they get the concept. All that ToT uses is the concept. You are on an elevator, it gets hit by lightning, and goes "somewhere freaky". Yes there are some elements in the ride that are specific to the show, like the vertical hold collapse, but if you did not know about that, you would at least think it was a cool effect and it "fits" the spooky theme.

Lets say they made a Narnia ride. You may not know the whole story, but you see people with swords and armor and various fantasy creatures and you can pretty much peice together "fantasy world, battels, magic, queen/king/prince/princess" and "get" the concept

Now, picture you are someone who is not a fan of lost. Maybe you have heard of it, maybe you have even watched an episode. You know its about people lost on an island. Maybe you even know there are some "odd" things on the island. But details as you list above would be quite confusing to a person who is not a "lostie"

If we were in the 1960's and maybe in England, I would suggest a ride based on "The Prisoner" would be interesting and viable. Not many people know about that show now, but if you were in a village in a ride vehicle trying to escape, and some person kept stopping you, and some freaky looking white plastic garbage bag looking things chased you around, any a lound speaker kept saying "why did you resign Number Six?" and some speaker in the ride vehicle would yell "I am a man, not a number" you would at least get the gist of it.

Heck, The Simpsons did an episode based on it. Most people got it, but had no idea about the original show.

You may be able to create a LOST ride that works, but it would not be able to have much specific information from the show, or else us "commoners" would not get it.

-dave

SirGoofy

The thing is, somthing like the Twighlight Zone is most of mainstream America know about it and gets the concept.

If you say "what is the Twighlight Zone" to somone on the street, chances are pretty high you will get somthing like "a freak place where weird things happen" They wont know particular episodes but they get the concept. All that ToT uses is the concept. You are on an elevator, it gets hit by lightning, and goes "somewhere freaky". Yes there are some elements in the ride that are specific to the show, like the vertical hold collapse, but if you did not know about that, you would at least think it was a cool effect and it "fits" the spooky theme.

Lets say they made a Narnia ride. You may not know the whole story, but you see people with swords and armor and various fantasy creatures and you can pretty much peice together "fantasy world, battels, magic, queen/king/prince/princess" and "get" the concept

Now, picture you are someone who is not a fan of lost. Maybe you have heard of it, maybe you have even watched an episode. You know its about people lost on an island. Maybe you even know there are some "odd" things on the island. But details as you list above would be quite confusing to a person who is not a "lostie"

If we were in the 1960's and maybe in England, I would suggest a ride based on "The Prisoner" would be interesting and viable. Not many people know about that show now, but if you were in a village in a ride vehicle trying to escape, and some person kept stopping you, and some freaky looking white plastic garbage bag looking things chased you around, any a lound speaker kept saying "why did you resign Number Six?" and some speaker in the ride vehicle would yell "I am a man, not a number" you would at least get the gist of it.

You may be able to create a LOST ride that works, but it would not be able to have much specific information from the show, or else us "commoners" would not get it.

-dave

And unfortunately that's the problem with the show. Most people who are not fans of the show hear their friends talk about it, and are instantly confused. There is just so much random information and such that it's not going to lure someone to the park who is not a fan of it. Because unfortunately its a love it or hate it kind of show.

Unlike, say Monsters INC, where even if you aren't a fan of it, you still know the general gist of the movie and can enjoy a ride that is based off of it.

Captain Hank

I'm actually a little surprised that a set walkthrough of some sort hasn't been set up. For example, they probably won't need the Swan set any longer (as it was blown up in the show), so why not bring the set to the Studios and alow a walkthrough of sorts, along the lines of what they did for 101 Dalmations and Home Improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom