A year after 9/11

PaisleyMF

Original Poster
If I were Michael Eisner what to do over the parks to conmemorate 9/11... i know that is a painful day but also a day that American became one that a nation divided by race and religion became ONE... I now for sure that Illuminations Refelctions On Earth can inspire with the "We Go On" Song abd the "Promise' song... they are so powerful as the "America Adventure" in Epcot and the can be a sign of hope for the future. For instance why not have a Special Illuminations without the fire barges, ad some more lighting effects, Lasers and pani proyections, How about using the water screens in Fantasmic! to show inspirational images / animations... The music all around the park in the same way soft and inspirational, How about a concert with that same feeling... what do u think...?

Holly

I don't agree.

WDW is a kind of escape from reality place - at least that's the way we're looking at our upcoming vacation. I don't want a subdued atmosphere - I don't want my children potentially seeing me or other adults teary eyed from 9/11 reminders.

My kids have seen enough of the effects of 9/11 - for the short time we're at WDW, I don't want to think about anything else other than the magical place we're in.

Now, that's not to say that the victims of 9/11 shouldn't be honored and commemerated - I should don't think WDW is the right place to do it ... on a grand scale at least.

mightyduck

My parents were stuck in WDW last year during 9/11 (no flights home for a few days).... They said that the park made an effort to keep up the merriment for the sake of the young children who don't need to be exposed to that. They said that while the atmosphere of the parks was strangely gloomy, it was because the guests weren't feeling festive, not because WDW wasn't.

dliddi

I agree i wouldn't want somthing like that at the parks, i Was at WDW For 911 and i'm glad i was there, you got to forget for awile about the horror of that day(s), if anything don't have the parks open until a little later like 9:00 or have a silent moment were all the rides are off for a minute, and then move on just like life did after.

bearboysnc

I don't want my children potentially seeing me or other adults teary eyed from 9/11 reminders.

[Sarcasim] I agree, emotions have no place in a Theme Park, or anywhere. Lets teach our children that we aren't supposed to display any kind of emotion. Prevent them from expressing and kind of anger, fear, or sadness.

So when they're so frustrated as teens, and they harm themselves or someone else, they'll know they have no one to blame but themselves, for succumbing to their emotions.[/sarcasim]

BTW, I don't think we need any kind of additional homage to 9/11 in the parks.

mightyduck

Originally posted by bearboysnc

[Sarcasim] I agree, emotions have no place in a Theme Park, or anywhere. Lets teach our children that we aren't supposed to display any kind of emotion. Prevent them from expressing and kind of anger, fear, or sadness.

So when they're so frustrated as teens, and they harm themselves or someone else, they'll know they have no one to blame but themselves, for succumbing to their emotions.[/sarcasim]

I'm not sure I understand your sarcasm here....

PaisleyMF

Original Poster
When i put this thread it was not to touch wounds or make people misserable because of it... my feeling was to "celebrate the union the friendship the Spirit of a Country united.... the strong scense of Harmony and Patrotism... the good stuff not the bad stuff... that's why we go WDW or any other theme park in the world dont we?

mightyduck

Originally posted by PaisleyMF
When i put this thread it was not to touch wounds or make people misserable because of it... my feeling was to "celebrate the union the friendship the Spirit of a Country united.... the strong scense of Harmony and Patrotism... the good stuff not the bad stuff... that's why we go WDW or any other theme park in the world dont we?

Paisley, I don't think anyone interpreted your post that way.

I think this is just an example of how soon it is for many people to be discussing this tragedy.

Fido

I was in WDW the week of 9/11 on vacation also. We saw The American Adventure the next day in Epcot, and it was an extremely emotional experience. At first there was a problem with the show and they were doing maintenance on it. Like the CM working there said, we needed to see it then more than ever. It was strange seeing the trade center towers at the end of the montage so soon after the event (I'm sure that the clip has been modified since).

kaos

Originally posted by Fido
I was in WDW the week of 9/11 on vacation also. We saw The American Adventure the next day in Epcot, and it was an extremely emotional experience. At first there was a problem with the show and they were doing maintenance on it. Like the CM working there said, we needed to see it then more than ever. It was strange seeing the trade center towers at the end of the montage so soon after the event (I'm sure that the clip has been modified since).

The clip has not been modified, nor should it be. The towers are still there, just as they are still present in Timekeeper, and should remain there forever (at least seasonally)

As discussed on a different thread about the same situation, the towers were taken from us once already... why have them taken away again?

Fido

>>The towers are still there, just as they are still present in Timekeeper, and should remain there forever <<

Oh I agree. I just assumed Disney would jump on the bandwagon and delete references to the towers as we have seen happen at the movies. Thank god Peter Jackson didn't succumb to pressure and change the name of the next installment of the LOTR trilogy: The Two Towers.

Works for me. I think any images should stand as a testament to the memory of them, rather than be removed as if we are ashamed.

Erika

That's like if someone died, and you immediately took down any pictures of that person-- I just don' t think it's healthy. I heard some people saying after 9/11 that the towers should be deleted out of all old movies, pictures, etc, and I couldn't bleieve they were serious.

Erika

Originally posted by bearboysnc

So when they're so frustrated as teens, and they harm themselves or someone else, they'll know they have no one to blame but themselves, for succumbing to their emotions.[/sarcasim][?]

Is there maybe a nicer way to get your point across? :eek:

So you agree...then what's the point of the sarcasm? She wants to take her kids to WDW for vacation. Nobody wants to cry on vacation. I think that's reasonable.

MKCustodial

>>The towers are still there, just as they are still present in Timekeeper, and should remain there forever <<

Oh I agree. I just assumed Disney would jump on the bandwagon and delete references to the towers as we have seen happen at the movies. Thank god Peter Jackson didn't succumb to pressure and change the name of the next installment of the LOTR trilogy: The Two Towers.

I agree. I still have the original Spider-man teaser on my computer and it looks really cool. I also have pics and stuff of WTC, and I sure am gonna save all of it to show my kids. I had the pleasue and the honor to visit the towers when I went to NY in 94, and that's the only way now that I can show them to my future family.

dliddi

Nothing should be taken out, I don't think they should have taken it out of Spiderman, nor should they go back and take, it out of old movies that would be like erasing the past, and that can't be.
As far as emotions go I seen The American Adventure two days after and I cried, did I want to no, but I couldn't help it, along with every one else in that auditorium, it just happens, just go on to TT and your somberness will go away.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Sept 11th is going to live in peoples memories for a long, long time. I think that on the first anniversary of that dreadful day there should be a minutes silence to remember those that died and those who bravely lost their lives in the rescue attempt before the second impact.
I think that this should be WORLDWIDE - including the parks of WDW. People within the parks can then make a show of strength and unity against the future threat of terrorism.
After that minute, when people have paid their respects, then let the day at WDW continue like any other day - I think that the atmosphere in the parks will be fantastic after this moment.
If guests do not wish to be reminded of the grief last September then let them avoid the parks until after 9 am.
Perhaps the day could end with a special fireworks event at MK.

People do not need, and should not have to suffer a full day of constant reminders.

Dizknee_Phreek

[BThank god Peter Jackson didn't succumb to pressure and change the name of the next installment of the LOTR trilogy: The Two Towers.[/B]

oohhh, i never thought about that! yeah, i'm glad too...but i doubt he would ever even think about it! besides, i don't think there's any way he could've done it, and stayed alive! the changing around or omition of some characters was ok, and i think most Tolkien fans realized that it had to be done to 1. cut down on film time and 2. to make the film more understandable to non-Tolkien fans (such as myself before seeing the first film) but i think Tolkien fans are possible of doing something drastic if PJ had made such a huge change as changing the name that Tolkien himself had given a book. it just wouldn't have settled well at all with old and new Tolkien fans! but i had never even though of Two Towers and WTC being put together like that until you mentioned it!

Fido

You wrote:
>>it just wouldn't have settled well at all with old and new Tolkien fans! but i had never even though of Two Towers and WTC being put together like that until you mentioned it!<<

He said that he felt like he was under pressure to change the title because of all that happened with 9/11. But he did say there was no way he could get away with it because the Tolkien fans would kill him!

Alot of people, including my wife and I, lost family and friends on 9/11. Im my opinion Disney shouldnt do anything to commemerate this day. It didnt happen @ WDW it happened in NYC, PA and the Pentagon. They only reason it affected disney is because they closed the parks because like all areas that attract alot of people, amusement parks, malls etc, they were probably worried about something happenning there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom