A Worse Dark Ride Than Mermaid

Phroobar

For the most part, Disney & Universal make the best dark rides on the planet. Even their worst (Pooh, SSL, CITH) are better than most other theme park's dark rides. However, sometimes you just need some cheese in your dark ride.

grnflash

There was a time when I was going to collect opinions on Disney that were signs that maybe someone has lost perspective when it comes to the parks. A sort of "You might be a little too emotionally invested if believe too many of these" thing. I sobered up before that idea went very far. But this one would've made the list.

Haha but I stand by it, quite, quite unemotionally :)

dweezil78

Also Monsters is hella underrated btw.

I agree! For a FL style dark ride (and one that's a re-do of a really awful ride) it's pretty fun and has some cool scenes and effects. I think we unfairly hold any dark rides placed beyond the FL castle complex to much higher standards. I'm certain if Monsters or Pooh were actually in FL lines would be way longer.

D

Deleted member 107043

For the most part, Disney & Universal make the best dark rides on the planet. Even their worst (Pooh, SSL, CITH) are better than most other theme park's dark rides. However, sometimes you just need some cheese in your dark ride.

As a kid I loved the Cave Train at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. :D Watching that video today is painful. That is one awful ride.

This inspired me to watch a ride through of Snow White's Scary Adventures. I'd never noticed that there's literally only one or two moments of animation in that entire ride! The art direction is beautiful, but the figures are mostly static, the vehicles move too fast, and there's no logic to the way the scenes are organized.

Last edited by a moderator:

D.Silentu

That brings to mind my unqualified love of Knott's Kingdom of the Dinosaurs. There was something about it that was odd enough to morph into charming and it certainly had style. Since it spent so long falling apart I had always mildly hoped to acquire some kind of souvenir from it. Ah well!

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

The Haunted Mansion and many other Disney attractions are pretty low tech. Automatic door knockers? A curtain being blown by a fan? Heads popping up from behind tombstones? A spirit that's a sheet being blown by a fan? Surely the most charming place on Earth, but pretty chintzy. The Sgt. Pepper's Ghost effect in the ballroom has been around since like the 1800s, Disney just implemented it on a grand scale with giant glass they apparently can't replace without taking the roof off, according to everyone in line who read it on the internet. I think it was Rolland Crump who was dissatisfied with how they did this effect because the dancers are obviously just rotating mannequins. He's right and it's absolutely charming. Those window specters are rotating on a giant mobile. We're like babies in a macabre nursery being entertained by WED Enterprises.

BasiltheBatLord

I agree! For a FL style dark ride (and one that's a re-do of a really awful ride) it's pretty fun and has some cool scenes and effects. I think we unfairly hold any dark rides placed beyond the FL castle complex to much higher standards. I'm certain if Monsters or Pooh were actually in FL lines would be way longer.
I've never understood the hate for Pooh. I just sort of presume that it replacing CBJ/Toad + comparisons with Hunny Hunt combine to concoct a particularly potent brand of fan distaste.

Phroobar

I've never understood the hate for Pooh. I just sort of presume that it replacing CBJ/Toad + comparisons with Hunny Hunt combine to concoct a particularly potent brand of fan distaste.
Pooh at Disneyland is far inferior to the MK version. Just like the MK version is far inferior to the TDL version. This is one ride that got worst and worst with each iteration.

Phroobar

I think "far inferior" is kind of an overstatement, the American rides really aren't all that different from each other. WDW definitely has a better queue though.
MK Pooh bounces with Tigger. DL Pooh makes you sea sick.
MK Pooh has story telling with pages and animation. DL Pooh has wooden doors.
MK Pooh has a smoke ring. DL Pooh elephant is clogged up.

Minus: MK Pooh killed Mr.Toad. DL Pooh killed the Country Bears.

D

Deleted member 107043

Minus: MK Pooh killed Mr.Toad. DL Pooh killed the Country Bears.

As lame as the Pooh ride is the death of the tired Bear show makes it kind of a wash to me. I guess The Country Bear Jamboree was at least aligned thematically to the land it was in. The placement of Winnie the Pooh in the American Frontier is bizarre.

How likely is it that they either upgrade Pooh or remove it at some point? *crosses fingers*

yookeroo

Pooh at Disneyland is far inferior to the MK version. Just like the MK version is far inferior to the TDL version. This is one ride that got worst and worst with each iteration.

I haven't been on the TDL version, but it seems to me that's a different class of ride. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

The WDW version is better than DL's version, but I really don't think the gap between the best of this kind of ride (Peter Pan? Alice?) and the worst (Pooh? Pinocchio? Snow White? Toad?) is pretty small.

Professortango1

How likely is it that they either upgrade Pooh or remove it at some point? *crosses fingers*

Unlikely, its still pleases guests due to the charm of the surrounding area and as an attraction to hit after Splash or while bigger kids ride on Splash. Little Mermaid and Monsters Inc are far more blaring failures which need fixing or removal. I would like to see the Heffelump and Woozle scene redone though. The rest of the ride works really well.

Phroobar

As lame as the Pooh ride is the death of the tired Bear show makes it kind of a wash to me. I guess The Country Bear Jamboree was at least aligned thematically to the land it was in. The placement of Winnie the Pooh in the American Frontier is bizarre.

When SWL construction workers were clearing backstage infrastructure, they should have accidentally aimed the wrecking ball at Pooh.

Professortango1

I haven't been on the TDL version, but it seems to me that's a different class of ride. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

The WDW version is better than DL's version, but I really don't think the gap between the best of this kind of ride (Peter Pan? Alice?) and the worst (Pooh? Pinocchio? Snow White? Toad?) is pretty small.

Pinocchio and Toad are the worst?? Pinocchio is my favorite of the FL Darkrides with Alice and Toad right behind. Peter Pan is actually my least favorite with how uneven the experience/story is and how terrible the last act of the ride is.

Phroobar

I think the TDL version is valid comparison considering they are both dark ride on the same subject. The difference between MK's Pooh and TDL's Pooh is TDL's trackless and has lots of animation. Otherwise they are similar. DL's Pooh on the other hand is a set of disjointed scenes and a giant ride vehicle that does nothing but make you sea sick. It is also a lot shorter and leaves you with a feeling of "that's it?". DL's Pooh can thank the CBJ for the nice queue area. DL's Pooh store is better than the ride.

Professortango1

I think the TDL version is valid comparison considering they are both dark ride on the same subject. The difference between MK's Pooh and TDL's Pooh is TDL's trackless and has lots of animation. Otherwise they are similar. DL's Pooh on the other hand is a set of disjointed scenes and a giant ride vehicle that does nothing but make you sea sick. It is also a lot shorter and leaves you with a feeling of "that's it?". DL's Pooh can thank the CBJ for the nice queue area. DL's Pooh store is better than the ride.

I don't like the scene progression of the MK version. TKD's Pooh and DL's Pooh have a better structure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom