A Spirited Valentine ...

Mike S

Is that really the trend, though?

Disney's recent investment in finer and finer facial motion control for figures in Frozen, Dwarves, and the Avatar river thing would suggest a continued commitment to high-end figures in rides. Disney's current design mood for E-tickets is a small number of big-money Garner Holt stuff in the foreground with increasingly inventive uses of projection canvases in the background to create a 3-dimensional space with or without the need for glasses.

Universal, meanwhile, seems mostly content with buying fairly basic figures for most applications, and with 8 Fast 8 Furious on the horizon, no end in sight to screen-based characters and attractions.
I wouldn't put Dwarves and Frozen in the same category as the Na'vi Shaman.

Also even by Spirit it was indicated that both projects coming after F&F (Nintendo and the Forbidden Forest) will buck the screen trend. What happens after is anyone's guess.
UNI is all screens, all the time. ... At least until NIntendo ... and the Dragon Challenge replacement, but those are so many years out from happening.

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

The interactive queue they added a few years ago that destroyed all the tension before entering the house through the use of bubbles and bad voice acting.

Sorry I misunderstood, I didn't read enough of the posts around that one to notice that the interactive queue was being discussed and not the graveyard in the ride itself. I really appreciated the interactive additions personally, but I can see why people don't like the sillyness and the different tone all of that creates. I guess that would be right at home in Japan's Fantasyland edition of Haunted Mansion. ;)

GiveMeTheMusic

Universal, meanwhile, seems mostly content with buying fairly basic figures for most applications, and with 8 Fast 8 Furious on the horizon, no end in sight to screen-based characters and attractions.

Super Nintendo World is the end in sight for nothing-but-screenz attractions at Universal. Ironic that a land based on video games will be their first to rely on physical sets and AAs, with screens in supporting roles of course.

FigmentJedi

Super Nintendo World is the end in sight for nothing-but-screenz attractions at Universal. Ironic that a land based on video games will be their first to rely on physical sets and AAs, with screens in supporting roles of course.
And we can thank Nintendo themselves for that. Like apparently it's because Miyamoto reasoned that since we've only ever experienced these characters on a screen, it'd make much more sense to do as much physical stuff as possible for these attractions.

Bairstow

I don't keep track of all the rumors these days, but I thought that the latest buzz on the Nintendo project was that it was massively scaled-back.

Disneyhead'71

I don't keep track of all the rumors these days, but I thought that the latest buzz on the Nintendo project was that it was massively scaled-back.
The guys who said that is still angry at Universal Creative for cutting the scene in Kong where a 35' Kong AA was going to chase a driverless truck full of people through the forest at 60 mph.

Bairstow

And we can thank Nintendo themselves for that. Like apparently it's because Miyamoto reasoned that since we've only ever experienced these characters on a screen, it'd make much more sense to do as much physical stuff as possible for these attractions.

I'd be wary of reading too much into Miyamoto's remarks.
He was probably referring to the building of physical spaces generally rather than specific features of individual attractions which likely hadn't been finalized anyway. A walk-around Mario suit would be bringing the character "of the screen," after all.

the.dreamfinder

Or should we make a distinction between projects based on licensed properties like Nintendo that can be held accountable and NBC/UNI properties? Because it seems like that's where we're going barring unforeseen changes to how UNI Creative is run.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Or should we make a distinction between projects based on licensed properties like Nintendo that can hold accountable and NBC/UNI properties? Because it seems like that's where we're going barring unforeseen changes to how UNI Creative is run.
Wouldn't seem like a meaningful distinction.
Rowling has lots of creative oversight and all the Potter stuff besides dueling dragons is rife with screens.

RSoxNo1

They could actually fit a building about the size of BOG behind the Interactive queue area, creat an old carriage road style path to bypass the queue, terminating in the West Wing of Gracey Manor...complete with a grand yet delapadated Porte Cochere (where the fictional Ball guests would have been dropped off)...Themed the "Chilly Reception and Swinging Wake" dining experience... It could be amazing!View attachment 201309
If they moved it's a small world they could also do it...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Or should we make a distinction between projects based on licensed properties like Nintendo that can hold accountable and NBC/UNI properties? Because it seems like that's where we're going barring unforeseen changes to how UNI Creative is run.

Remember Spirit is noting that Uni creative is succeeding in spite of its management

FigmentJedi

Bunch of other movie release date announcements dropped today besides Star Wars and Indy

Wreck It Ralph 2: Pushed back to November 21, 2018
Frozen 2: November 27, 2019
Lion King Remake (with Seth Rogen playing Pumbaa because they needed to give me more reasons to avoid it like the plague): July 19, 2019
Gigantic: November 20, 2020
Untitled Animated Disney Movie: 2021

Mike S

Kong tops Gringotts for me and that's a Uni owned product vs. an outside one.

Just like with Disney it is likely that higher ups push for certain owned IP to be in the parks with questionable results. Frostrom, Jimmy Fallon, Guardians, Toy Story Land, Fast & Furious, etc.
Seth Rogan as the Lion King? Gag
I like him but please no.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom