A Spirited Valentine ...

Luigi

So I finally actually think Bob Iger might stick to his 2019 end date.

Leading up to his retirement the final Avengers film (of the phase trilogy), the final Star Wars episode (of this trilogy), Toy Story 4 and Lion King mark his apparent leave. I'm not one for Iger conspiracy theories... but just saying that doesn't seem like a coincidence. It's quite the mic drop. Completely ignoring the still partially unknown slate and Frozen 2.

I think Buena Vista might finally implode the tentpole strategy. Arguably that's their five strongest franchises doled out.

I, for one, am looking forward to the 2019 Disney Parks promotion: "Year of a Million Igers!"

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is who they are laying off that matters. We should probably have that additional context to make an appropriate judgement.

True but based on past actions from Bristol WRT On air talent they have been cutting the most expensive with no apparent regard to how much revenue that their show brings in.

Im in Boston metro so ESPN drive time radio is huge here but there is competition from a couple of other networks here and the last round of cuts had a ripple effect on the ESPN stations as people tuned out and went to other shows.

What I think we are seeing here is 'The Listeners will always be there' attitude from ESPN.

Much like the attitude 'The guests will always come' seen at WDW

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Like I said 'cutting to greatness'
he will be replaced with a 20 something 'sports babe' whose easy on the eyes and knows next to nothing about the NFL who makes 10% of what he made

from NBC Sports..."ESPN is expected to lay off around 100 employees this week, as the network tries to reduce costs as it deals with declining revenues thanks to cord cutting."

If this is true, I would rather them do this than have the rest of TWDC try to prop them up.

rael ramone

Like I said 'cutting to greatness'

Ed will be replaced with a 20 something 'sports babe' who is easy on the eyes and knows next to nothing about the NFL who makes 10% of what he made.

And they will wonder why the ratings are tanking. Perhaps its because fans want knowlegeable commentary. No coulnt be we all know sex sells...

According to the other 'Skipper John', here are some buzz phrases on his statement released yesterday:

how we best utilize all of our resources
must be efficient and nimble
focus on versatility and value

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
from NBC Sports..."ESPN is expected to lay off around 100 employees this week, as the network tries to reduce costs as it deals with declining revenues thanks to cord cutting."

If this is true, I would rather them do this than have the rest of TWDC try to prop them up.

ESPN is losing 600k subs per month and a big reason for that is the cuts in on air programming. Not to mention the utter failure of their online platforms

Cord cutting is certainly ONE of the drivers but the lack of compelling programming is a bigger driver the only exception to that rule is college basketball

Add to that Iger's ego driven rights acquisitions like 2.6billion for some weekday NFL without a Superbowl !!!! Foxs deal was 800 million and they got 2 Superbowls!.

Now you have the recipe for the slow motion trainwreck thats ESPN

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
According to the other 'Skipper John', here are some buzz phrases on his statement released yesterday:

how we best utilize all of our resources
must be efficient and nimble
focus on versatility and value

Spoken like the clueless corporate drone he is. Perhaps they should lay HIM off and give his job to his executive assistant who probably can do his job better

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Once again Disney/ESPN management shows their utter cluelessness

Now ESPN can kiss the Morning drive time slot buh-bye. Looks like Mike Golic is history now.

Mike and Mike WAS drive time radio for a huge audience. And even if you were not a sports fan it was fun to listen to. Because the show was about the interplay between the Mikes.

FS1 must be breaking out the champagne right about now.

Time to short DIS

rael ramone

Once again Disney/ESPN management shows their utter cluelessness

Now ESPN can kiss the Morning drive time slot buh-bye. Looks like Mike Golic is history now.

Mike and Mike WAS drive time radio for a huge audience. And even if you were not a sports fan it was fun to listen to. Because the show was about the interplay between the Mikes.

FS1 must be breaking out the champagne right about now.

Time to short DIS

According to Hollywood Reporter, there are at least 3 others that are having their on air time 'significantly reduced', including Hannah Storm.

An other article in another site said that they are telling people under contract to take 50% less or they'll be put on the shelf - so it sounds like there are at least 3 holdouts for 'under contract talent' who aren't letting the contracts they signed in good faith be treated like an NFL players contract - good for them...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
According to Hollywood Reporter, there are at least 3 others that are having their on air time 'significantly reduced', including Hannah Storm.

An other article in another site said that they are telling people under contract to take 50% less or they'll be put on the shelf - so it sounds like there are at least 3 holdouts for 'under contract talent' who aren't letting the contracts they signed in good faith be treated like an NFL players contract - good for them...

With actions like this it once again shows that TWDC thinks that Wall St is the customer who must be served. The earnings call is going to be a hoot.

Disney should hook up a generator to the spin machine on this earnings call

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom