A Spirited Valentine ...

brb1006

Oh, I don't mind Pocahontas meeting at AK, but if they ever move her, those are my suggestions :)

Definitely agree with you about TFG and Burrito. They looked familiar to me, but I couldn't remember why. :oops:

Can we please get rid of that Jessica Rabbit mask? Idk if it's to protect the woman playing her or what, but it's not a good look.
I didn't expect Marie,Toulouse and Berlioz to be given new voice actors at all let alone in english. Which surprised me.

brb1006

Some thoughts (skipped through some of the song and dance numbers, because holy flip is this a big celebration, and I'm watching this during my lunch break lol)
  • Marie, Toulouse, and Berlioz's voices were... not what I was expecting.
  • Ah, Main Street USA, where you will find a Norwegian snowman, 3 French kittens, and 2 English people (I know that the time period fits though)
  • Frontierland- not where I would expect to see Pocahontas in the states (I wouldn't mind to see her do M&Gs in Liberty Square or the American Pavilion)
  • Jose and Panchito probably fit better with Adventureland???
  • Catchy music
  • Holy smokes, that is an acrobatic Tarzan
  • I think Angelica (had to look up her name) is one of the most obscure/rare characters used
  • Atlantis and Treasure Planet costumes look sharp
  • I take back my previous comment, the Stitch aliens win the obscure characters award
  • Does WDW use face characters for Flora, Fauna, and Merriweather?
  • .... and they brought back the awful Jessica Rabbit mask :( Nice to see her and Roger though
  • So. Many. Characters. Though it seems to have been a toss up for which characters would appear from the films. I don't think I saw Prince John? Definitely saw King Richard (who I never saw at WDW). Also, it kind of hurts to see Clopin, but no Esmeralda (I have a lot of pictures with her from 1998)
  • Question- how does Disney determine who is a face character and who gets their face covered? The Big Hero 6 team seem like they could easily be face characters.
This was a really nice way to celebrate the anniversary (especially liked the CMs at the end). WDW won't do anything like this for the 45th, but it would be nice to see something on this scale for the 50th.
Speaking of Marie, I find it interesting how the voice provided by an unknown child actor for Marie for this Talking Marie plush sounded much closer to the original voice from the 1970 film compared to the voice heard for the 25th anniversary which sounded a bit lower. Maybe in a future Disney project that voice for Marie might be a bit improved.

brb1006

I mean, realistically speaking, 25 is more of a milestone than 45.

Just remember that Cinderella's castle was a cake for over a year. Paris chose to skip that part of the party ;)
At least they didn't add a banner like WDW did.

Tokyo also did the same thing Paris did by not decorating the castle but added an anniversary logo like it did for the 30th in 2013.

GiveMeTheMusic

Definitely saw King Richard (who I never saw at WDW). Also, it kind of hurts to see Clopin, but no Esmeralda (I have a lot of pictures with her from 1998)
  • Question- how does Disney determine who is a face character and who gets their face covered? The Big Hero 6 team seem like they could easily be face characters.
That was King Leonidas from Bedknobs & Broomsticks. :) King Richard has never been turned into a character (and never likely will be). It was odd they didn't include Esmeralda, but the reason was probably that they didn't have enough face performers left to fill the role. The park had full regular entertainment ops today as well as the dozens of characters in this special show and there are only so many face performers they can pull from.

A number of factors go into whether a character is made fur or face. The look of the character, and whether it's too stylized to be convincingly portrayed by a face, overall costume design, staffing concerns, etc.

GiveMeTheMusic

Also, major kudos to DLP's events/entertainment team for creating an awesome, classic Disney celebration today. And those one-day-only character costumes for Mickey and friends are LIGHTYEARS nicer than their everyday 25th wear, which is really ugly.

One nitpick - it would have been nice if they had been able to remove the Christmas lights from the castle before the big day.

Princess Leia

That was King Leonidas from Bedknobs & Broomsticks. :) King Richard has never been turned into a character (and never likely will be). It was odd they didn't include Esmeralda, but the reason was probably that they didn't have enough face performers left to fill the role. The park had full regular entertainment ops today as well as the dozens of characters in this special show and there are only so many face performers they can pull from.

A number of factors go into whether a character is made fur or face. The look of the character, and whether it's too stylized to be convincingly portrayed by a face, overall costume design, staffing concerns, etc.
Whoops! Thanks for clarifying that, I just assumed it was Richard since he was around the Robin Hood characters. I had no idea Leonidas was ever a character at the parks. :oops:

Disney Analyst

Also, major kudos to DLP's events/entertainment team for creating an awesome, classic Disney celebration today. And those one-day-only character costumes for Mickey and friends are LIGHTYEARS nicer than their everyday 25th wear, which is really ugly.

One nitpick - it would have been nice if they had been able to remove the Christmas lights from the castle before the big day.

Aren't those lights part of the 25th decor package?

RSoxNo1

Universal won the internet today.
UniFlix.jpg

WDW1974

Original Poster
And a very Happy 25th B-Day to Euro Disney (aka DLP). Beautiful park and resort in a lovely area just minutes from one of the greatest cities in the world that, no, should not have been built in Spain. Looks like Disney's neglect over the years has actually been a positive as the park is sparkling and, beyond the atrocity that is one of John Lasseter's favorite rides, and not a huge amount has been lost in a quarter of a century.

I believe @WDWFigment is leading the American blogger brigade over there according to his Tweeter.

I look forward to visiting later this year, but the resort has been trending upward now since at least 2014. I still kick myself for having a chance to be at the opening in the ancient days of 1992 (I have clothes older than that!) and didn't take it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I posted all my thoughts elsehwere, but I'll just state briefly here that if anyone here was/is on the fence about visiting DLP that they should definitely do so and during the 25th anniversary. The resort is (mostly) finally in good shape and it is a major improvement compared to a few years ago. The new entertainment (Mickey and the Magician in particular) is also of quality.

Stay at Newport Bay Club, have a meal at Walt's and drinks at Cafe Fantasia. See BTMRR, Small World, Peter Pan and others they way they were meant to be and get a copy of Disneyland Paris from A to Z while you're there.

Sounds like you had a great time! Feel free to drop any thoughts about DLP up here where people will actually read them!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom