A Spirited Valentine ...

brb1006

Having now seen WDW's newish nighttime shows and realizing the Wishes replacement is coming soon, it occurs to me that Universal completely squandered the golden opportunity to devise a nighttime show that could've generated word-of-mouth and would've been competing with the older, stale WDW products. Another example of UOR's lack of foresight, IMO.

You mention the ad campaign has the "Now, I'm ready" theme. There's no question that Universal's parks have generally improved over the past fifteen years, but it's equally amazing that they haven't been able to diversify their message. It still boils down to "tougher than Disney."

The entertainment at the Universal parks is surprisingly pretty weak, but why they haven't swung for the fences for a nighttime show at IOA is beyond me. The Studios park has a modest night show, but it's nothing worth seeking out and isn't impressive. The Studios park layout seems terrible for a cohesive show, but IOA also seems tailor-made for one. I know there were rumors a few years ago that IOA was being looked at for one, but nothing materialized.

I've read that they want people to spend nights at CityWalk instead of in the theme parks; Volcano Bay will evidently operate into the evening in order to keep people in the park later. I'd love to read an explanation for why outside of Horror Nights they just write off the two theme parks at night.
Universal's Superstar Parade is also pretty forgettable and bland. Then again isn't this Universal's first parade that runs daily even though I forget where the parade route is?

brb1006

Wreck It Ralph 2 is officially being titled "Ralph Breaks the Internet" and the logo is designed as a Phone App icon.

I really hope that this isn't just "The Emoji Movie with a smarter script" and they haven't abandoned the entire video game world conceit completely...
Don't ever compare The Emoji Movie to Wreck It Ralph again....until we see a teaser for this movie sometime this summer.

brb1006

I'm not going into much detail, but ever since the popularity of Frozen. There had been a huge amount of Frozen games that aren't by Disney that is available online and on mobile games.. For example "Frozen Brain Surgery" or "Elsa Pregnant" (There's more of where that came from). The games are supposed to be "Kid Friendly" but are surprisingly disturbing,graphic, and shocking. I might be over-exaggerating this, but this is what really happens if you ever seen those games. It's worse when you try searching up Elsa or Anna on Youtube. And the latest victims are Moana and Zootopia (Poor Judy Hopps).

As I mentioned do not search these up if you don't want to lose your sanity.

Last edited:

TiggerDad

So, Chappie was giving VIP Tours around Pandora this evening.

Guess my invite got lost in the mail (like my Pandoran Preview signup email). But @WDWFigment got one (OK, his wife did, but she ain't going without him!) and I wonder how many other influencers got them. Brigante?Corless? Lange? Mongello?

For having an AP since 1982-83 (I'll leave out the DVC, all the DCL cruises, the ridiculous number of nights on property, the APs in Paris and Hong Kong and, for an entire decade in a row, Anaheim), I should have gotten a special invite (not just me, all charter APers) with original art on high quality paper and a paper ticket to a private showing of Pandora with special $149 rooms at DAK Lodge if we wished to book there. Oh, and free food and beverages during the preview from the new QSR too! And a pin when done.

You see, kids, that's how top-flight companies should be treating their whales and manatees for loyalty and spending. (I can't wait to hear entitled Millennials bash me for this one!)
I am not a Millennial but my daughter is. From a business perspective I would think people with a long track record of spending lots of money with a company would be given more exclusive opportunities to spend even more money, rather than free stuff. If you have shown you are willing to pay why give it free? The free stuff should go to the people the business is still trying to win over or trying to upsell.

tissandtully

IOA actually used to have a pretty good fireworks show in the lagoon when it first opened. I remember because I had to watch it every night when I worked there.

Very good points all around. IOA has a central lagoon that would be perfect for something. But UNI hasn't been able to host an entertaining night show since it closed its first one (more of a stunt show really). I don't even think they are trying. Very good point about the parks not having late hours at night. Closing at 6, 7 or 8 p.m. as they were doing in February when I was there makes you scratch your head.

I think all of it comes down to the fact UNI P&R leadership is awful. I always said Tom Williams was just as bad as Tom Staggs but since he is ancient and lives in O-Town, he gets a pass from the Wand Wavers. Harry Potter saved/resurrected UNI and made them a real threat. But management has largely squandered that. No one cares though. So what if things like Kong, Fallon and Fast and Furious are largely misses? When you are planning Potter additions to both your parks, you don't really try ... you just rely on the power of The Boy Who Lived. Is it overkill? Not yet. One day?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree with you. Lifestylers such as yourself should be treated much better.

Don't know whether you're being pithy or serious, but I don't view myself (or anyone else who simply enjoys the Disney products and spends on them or is a fan) as a Lifestyler. And since I coined the phrase (I can see the Disney Twits saying 'WDW1974 is claiming he came up with Lifestylers. Yeah, sure!'), I used it for BRAND advocates (the polite word is 'influencers'), people who build online businesses and, indeed, run their lives based upon what TWDC does.

I most certainly do not.

I don't plan my life around previews of Pandora. I don't have a buyer in Tokyo to get me Duffy's newest friend (Stella Lou). I don't base my fanhood, or manhood, on how much time and money I devote to Disney and its products.

I may be a Disney manatee, who was once a whale, but I am no Lifestyler. I don't wake up in the morning and check the Disney Tweets. I don't ask myself 'What would Bob Iger want me to do?' I don't suddenly love Marvel or Star Wars because The Weatherman bought them. And I don't advocate for the BRAND.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am not a Millennial but my daughter is. From a business perspective I would think people with a long track record of spending lots of money with a company would be given more exclusive opportunities to spend even more money, rather than free stuff. If you have shown you are willing to pay why give it free? The free stuff should go to the people the business is still trying to win over or trying to upsell.

Giving free stuff to your most loyal consumers engenders good will and more spending. ... Everytime Disney (or any hospitality type company) treats me well with comps and specials, they wind up making it up multiple times. ... And even if it didn't, it still is good business to take care of people who have been there in thick and thin spending their hard-earned dollars.

WDW1974

Original Poster
IOA actually used to have a pretty good fireworks show in the lagoon when it first opened. I remember because I had to watch it every night when I worked there.

I have a very vague recollection of seeing this once or twice. I doubt it impressed me because I would recall it better if it had.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom