A Spirited Perfect Ten

Lee

Adventurer
I keep reading that he did jail time for his crimes. It seems to me from the court records that he did time because he couldn't make bail. He filed an indigence status with the court after his arrest and got a PD for a lawyer. When he plead no contest on a couple of matters and was adjudicated guilty on another, he was sentenced to time served and a fine. i.e. He served time before he was convicted - not exactly the way it works. No one can ever know if he would have gotten jail time for a second degree misdemeanor but it seems unlikely to me.
The jail time ultimately resulted from violating his probation.
served Jan-Feb 1996.

I've also read 3 or 4 times that he plead the charges down from something worse. I couldn't find any record of this. Can somebody point me in the right direction?
The information I received indicated:
------------------
First Date of Offense:
4/30/95
Orange County, FL
Charge reduced to theft, second degree (812.014(2)(d))
Entered a plea of No Contest.

And

Date of Second Offense:
12/21/95
Orange County FL.
First charge, reduced to petit theft (812.014(3)(a)) second degree.
Second charge, first degree battery (784.03(1)(a)(1)

Finally, the six month trespass ban imposed by the court has know been turned into a lifetime ban in this discussion. Accuracy matters.
Accuracy does indeed matter.
Yes, the court imposed a six month ban, which I believe may be its maximum.
(Attorneys, correct me if I'm wrong.)
I'm trying to find out for sure, but I believe the Disney ban was for much longer.

Lee

Adventurer
Puts on rubber boots...wades into the ****

Excellent post.

The stated goal here is to expose Disney's duplicity by attacking one dude. An interesting tactic. Probably not real effective though. Disney has no liability when it comes to these brand advocates(that's the right buzz word?) they invite them to openings, or events or whatever, and these people write about the events. That's a pretty far stones throw from TWDC employing them.

Meanwhile, TWDC actually employs MANY ex-cons. That's a fact. Not sure why a guy who writes about Disney but doesn't receive a paycheck from TWDC is somehow worse then the ex-cons who do get their checks signed by Mickey Mouse.

My question in return is, why does it matter? Be clear, because I legit don't understand. Here's why I don't understand...

How many convicts has Disney actually cut checks to? How many individuals with sketchy pasts has Disney thrown in movies or park attractions?

Jim is a dude who writes about Disney. He's not employed by Disney. What's their liability here? What should they do differently?
Here is the distinction, missed by many:

Disney employees people with criminal records. That's fine. Nothing wrong with that.

However, how many people would Disney employee if their crimes were against Disney?
I guarantee you, it's very likely none.

THAT is the distinction. That a guy they quote on DVD boxes and invite to D23 panels committed crimes against them.

As I said earlier, if he had Winstoned some crab legs from Publix, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Jim Hill

Here is the distinction, missed by many:

Disney employees people with criminal records. That's fine. Nothing wrong with that.

However, how many people would Disney employee if their crimes were against Disney?
I guarantee you, it's very likely none.

THAT is the distinction. That a guy they quote on DVD boxes and invite to D23 panels committed crimes against them.

As I said earlier, if he had Winstoned some crab legs from Publix, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
You know, I could be wrong here. But I'm think Lee wants to publicly shame me.
I could help speed things along, Lee, if you'd like. I could give you the addresses of all of my neighbors up here in New Hampshire so that you could then let them know about something incredibly stupid and self-destructive that I did 20 years ago. Or I could give your my daughter's cell number. Because -- at this point -- it's pretty obvious that you want me completely humiliated.
Or is everyone here still going to pretend that Lee's just posting all of this material about me because it's so important to discuss how the Walt Disney Company handles social media.

Lee

Adventurer
Seriously? Is this worth your time? What is your goal with this investigation?
Oh, believe me...I'm spending maybe ten minutes a day on this stuff.
The only reason I'm trying to get the Disney ban info is....accuracy matters.

Why did I start this discussion? Why not? Discussion is what we do here, and I think this all related to a worthy topic. That's my goal. My only goal.

Lee

Adventurer
You know, I could be wrong here. But I'm think Lee wants to publicly shame me.
I could help speed things along, Lee, if you'd like. I could give you the addresses of all of my neighbors up here in New Hampshire so that you could then let them know about something incredibly stupid and self-destructive that I did 20 years ago. Or I could give your my daughter's cell number. Because -- at this point -- it's pretty obvious that you want me completely humiliated.
Or is everyone here still going to pretend that Lee's just posting all of this material about me because it's so important to discuss how the Walt Disney Company handles social media.
I'm not going to get into a big thing about it at this point, Jim.
But, as I've said...it isn't about you. You were merely a jumping off point, based on information that was sent to me. I've never had a beef with you. Read your stuff for years and even paid to take your tour...ouch...11 years ago.

If someone wants to shame you, it would be the person who tipped me off, unsolicited, to the whole thing. It's their motives I'd wonder about. Instead of worrying about me, spend time figuring out who that was.

It would have been more than fine by me if your name would've faded after the first couple of posts and we could've then had the discussion I wanted in the first place. This has certainly gone farther down the "Jim Hill road" than I thought it would.

Jim Hill

I'm not going to get into a big thing about it at this point, Jim.
But, as I've said...it isn't about you. You were merely a jumping off point, based on information that was sent to me. I've never had a beef with you.

If someone wants to shame you, it would be the person who tipped me off, unsolicited, to the whole thing. It's their motives I'd wonder about. Instead of worrying about me, spend time figuring out who that was.

It would have been more than fine by me if your name would've faded after the first couple of posts and we could've then had the discussion I wanted in the first place. This has certainly gone farther down the "Jim Hill road" than I thought it would.
"It isn't about you." Come on, Lee. At least admit what you've done. You're the one who originally posted this information and then followed that up with dozens of notes to try and defend what you've done after you got so much push-back from other WDWMagic posters. For you to now to try & shift the blame to " ... the person who tipped me off" is -- at best -- disingenuous. At worst, cowardly.
I mean, I was man enough to come here and admit what I'd done. Take the blame / responsibility. Why aren't you willing to do the same?

Phil12

I think it's interesting that you decided to share this information in this thread rather than creating a new thread. That might tell us something concerning motives.

Lee

Adventurer
"It isn't about you." Come on, Lee. At least admit what you've done. You're the one who originally posted this information and then followed that up with dozens of notes to try and defend what you've done after you got so much push-back from other WDWMagic posters. For you to now to try & shift the blame to " ... the person who tipped me off" is -- at best -- disingenuous. At worst, cowardly.
I mean, I was man enough to come here and admit what I'd done. Take the blame / responsibility. Why aren't you willing to do the same?
I haven't?
How about this...
I got an email with some interesting information. Information that relates, in my mind, to the discussion about Disney's unusual relationship with the bloggers and lifestyler that cover it. A discussion that has been going on here for a long time.

So...I "ran the story" as you journalists say.

I believe the story is valid, and the discussion worth having. I'll continue to believe that and push back when I feel I need to.

Shifting the blame? For what? That implies that I feel I have any blame in this matter. I don't feel that I do. Is a reporter who brakes a story about unsavory activity to blame? Is he wrong for doing it? I'm going to have to say no.

Good night, all...

Cesar R M

The value and volume of things Lee has said in the past leads me to believe pretty much anything he would ever say. I don't think Lee is doing this for any kind of gain what little I know about Lee is that he in no way needs any "gain" so I think he is simply putting info into the Domain.
I mean shifting as in blame shifting..
Aka trying to shield the "culprit" and attack the source of the info.
Its an usual tactic online in forum drama.

Because clearly, I'm the one who committed a crime...:rolleyes:
exactly!!

Cesar R M

Well we've certainly given Mr. Hill a lot of advertising.....
Also, its my imagination or suddenly a lot of people just created accounts to talk on this thread?
Are they "friends" of Jim or what?

About to start my social media ban until I see Star Wars on saturday night. Please hope these forums stay spoiler free.
seconding this.. I'm not going to see Star Wars until a week later (when things calm down a little).
Nothing more annoying than being happy to see a movie, and have it ruined by children screaming, dbags talking on the phone, and the selfie "hey look at me" brigade..etc..etc..

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Can we please remain civil. I see there are strong views on the subject, but there is no need to move to personal insults. I don't want to have to start mass deleting and closing things down, but will if necessary. Thanks.
Believe it or not, inciting such kind of behavior to close down a thread.. is a technique to shut down an unwanted conversation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom