A Spirited Perfect Ten

Funmeister

Closest thing I can think that comes close to "successful" edutainment is Futuroscope and that is a stretch. I think the success part comes more from "Hey, look at the great things we are doing" more so than "Hey, look at the great bu$ine$$ we are doing!"

Some may use DAK as an example but it has been stripped so much of the environmental and educational messages, from when it first opened, it is a zoo more than ever.

John

97 now you are doing this for personal edutainment.....lol....
I am blaming @Lee for letting this thread go down this path. You were left in charge. Just wait till 74 gets back.....I am telling!

zooey

Closest thing I can think that comes close to "successful" edutainment is Futuroscope and that is a stretch. I think the success part comes more from "Hey, look at the great things we are doing" more so than "Hey, look at the great bu$ine$$ we are doing!"

Some may use DAK as an example but it has been stripped so much of the environmental and educational messages, from when it first opened, it is a zoo more than ever.
There's a lot of educational moments just in the design that is all still there. Joe rhode tweeted out a really cool example of this not long ago of a wall in animal kingdom that is covered in globs of what looks like mud with handprints. He went on to explain that in the Himalayas people use cow and yak dung for fuel for fires and they dry those out by sticking them to walls while wet to make stackable disks when dry. That's a very cool educational detail about a foreign culture and it's just sitting there. I still think DAK and Epcot can do this its just not obvious you have to seek it out and tell the stories to others.

Funmeister

There's a lot of educational moments just in the design that is all still there. Joe rhode tweeted out a really cool example of this not long ago of a wall in animal kingdom that is covered in globs of what looks like mud with handprints. He went on to explain that in the Himalayas people use cow and yak dung for fuel for fires and they dry those out by sticking them to walls while wet to make stackable disks when dry. That's a very cool educational detail about a foreign culture and it's just sitting there. I still think DAK and Epcot can do this its just not obvious you have to seek it out and tell the stories to others.

I agree with you that there are still elements there, but compared to when the park first opened it is vastly different. When the park first opened they did not have any directional signs and guide maps were printed in extremely limited quantity (even against the will of Rhode...he did not want any maps) because part of the idea was to "get lost" in the park and learn about your surroundings. There were so many learning opportunities that ended or were yanked out in the first few weeks because they didn't work the way they intended. The Oasis itself was tweaked on a daily basis to make them more visible. The time spent in the Oasis was also time to learn about habitats and environments. Not as much as it used to be.

lazyboy97o

97 now you are doing this for personal edutainment.....lol....
I am blaming @Lee for letting this thread go down this path. You were left in charge. Just wait till 74 gets back.....I am telling!
At this point it is simply a fascinating study in group psychology. The notion of dumbing down, 'Walmarting,' the parks is often a topic, but suddenly now theme parks need to be dumb and should never try to be anything more than mindless; there is no power to themed entertainment as a medium. Disney is now suddenly right to be dumbing down its parks because it can't work any other way. But if @WDW1974 comes in and talks about dumbing things down suddenly people switch their tune again and insist they've agreed all along.

culturenthrills

So I finally went down the Disney Infinity rabbit hole because you know Star Wars

Attachments

• IMG_2237.JPG
    IMG_2237.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 103

NearTheEars

I believe that The Space Shuttle Atlantis Experience at Kennedy Space Center is a great example of successful Themed Edutainment. Just poke around Nassal Co. website. They are the leader in themed entertainment and a big batch of their clientele is Educational Entertainment like Museums, Zoos, and exibits like The World of Coke in Atlanta.

http://www.nassal.com

I LOVED the Atlantis exhibit. It was awesome.

TeriofTerror

My bad.
Hasn't been worth my time trying to contain this nonsense.

I'll tell 74 to stay away another month until this thread regains some sense of normalcy.
"We have normality, I repeat we have normality." She turned her microphone off — then turned it back on, with a slight smile and continued: "Anything you still can’t cope with is therefore your own problem." :)

HauntedMansionFLA

Finally... some crowd relief.

MK had its first off-peak day yesterday for the first time since May 13th. The resort overall had its first off-peak day since May 14th.

Behold, the parks are nice once more.
We were thinking about going to the parks this time next year. There were still plenty of rooms left with discounts this next week. I'll be curious to see if the parks are off-peak this week.

PhotoDave219

Oh yes, Magic Kingdom was wonderful last night! Walked in about 9:30 (expecting chaos as usual) but was surprised to see Main Street, while crowded, wasn't packed. Easily made it to Splash Mountain and back over to Town Square for the late parade. Weather was nice too, low 80s! Looking forward to visiting MK again, in peace, before the crowds return later this year

I think you have about two weeks of peace. CMs, enjoy while you can.

Cesar R M

My bad.
Hasn't been worth my time trying to contain this nonsense.

I'll tell 74 to stay away another month until this thread regains some sense of normalcy.
yeah right.. good luck trying to get some sense of "normalcy".
perhaps when the rapture finally happen.. perhaps then... :hilarious:

I think you have about two weeks of peace. CMs, enjoy while you can.
Speaking of CMs.. yo dave, you know someone who works at AK?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom