A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

I would amend to mostly chain restaurants. There are a lot of places around that are great eating... You just need to figure out where they are :)
Oh and if you look hard enough there at good pizza places...
But generally yeah.. Mostly chain restaurants.
I know for a fact two families from buffalo opened up pizza places in FL. Buffalo pizza is the jam too.

bhg469

The shoes aren't from me. Unlike some others I might know, we actually go for 48 hours and claim everything we buy. :)
Actually headed that way next Sunday. Now to chose which Salvatore's .... Always Joe for Christmas, and lately Papa for summer.
The original location has some major vertical construction going up. Looks like some rooms on that building. Between Russ Salvatore and Terry pegula, the city seems to have lots of great construction. Too bad they weren't around 20 years ago. Well Russ was but not building as much.

misterID

Having worked out on long island for 4 years and having to travel off the island quite often.. Orlando traffic is comparatively a breeze.. Around NYC you hit walls of traffic all the time at all parts of the day. As long as you're avoiding i4 around rush hour Orlando is fine.. IMO.
Atlanta is far worse than Orlando traffic. I plan my drive to Orlando around the best times to get through Atlanta.

71jason

If you've ever learned anything from myself and @71jason, it should be that DTD/DS should be avoided on the weekends.

Currently trying to figure out how to break to a friend I'm not seeing his show at HoB this afternoon--just not in the mood for it. While I enjoy the AMC, I pay more money to see films in the crappier new Davenport theater. I won't even try to hit Typhoon anymore. No point in going anywhere near that area on a weekend.

Disneyhead'71

Problem is I have a job, a great one that only allows me to go where my clients are. Currently we have a hold out and it's in tampa. It's currently the only city that we are trying to get. I was offered cleveland, aka buffalo with less snow, and houston, which intrigued me but we have family in fl and they would be a big perk of going down.

Lake effect must mean something totally different in Indiana though, because that huge body of water next to me causes a lot more trouble for us and syracuse than any other place in the country for snow and humidity if you can believe it. We often are more sticky in the summer than some times in florida so I can definitely acclimate. Not to mention we are tough people, very tough. 4 straight superbowwl losses makes you stronger and out most famous player was a murderer, well Baltimore knows about that part too...

Anyway for me, for now florida is the right move for us, weather only being a minor part of it. Its just based on people making decisions down there.
FL isn't for the faint of heart. It is really tough feeling like you are on vacation everyday when you get off work. Starting your weekend with Mimosas by the pool takes some getting used to. I know, it's hard making that adjustment. It's right up there with getting used to wearing shorts to 4 star restaurants.

I have lived miserable places. Orlando isn't one of them.

71jason

Florida is such a shock to someone from the north, I saw loads of people try it for a few years and unable to handle it.

Absolutely true. Disney World is not "Florida." Hell, Orlando isn't "Florida," either, it's far younger and more northern.

I do disagree somewhat on the chain restaurants claim--sure they dominate, but I've found that's true of any suburban area, and there are a few hidden gems around. But I agree none of them serves good pizza.

BrerJon

Anyway for me, for now florida is the right move for us, weather only being a minor part of it. Its just based on people making decisions down there.

For every person who regrets moving to Florida there are plenty who are pleased they did. Weather is personal preference - some people like year round heat and don't find Florida bothers them, others struggle and like a bit of cold. But once you factor out weather, it has to come down to work, people and amenities - decisions to be weighed up wherever you move to.

PhotoDave219

Absolutely true. Disney World is not "Florida." Hell, Orlando isn't "Florida," either, it's far younger and more northern.

I do disagree somewhat on the chain restaurants claim--sure they dominate, but I've found that's true of any suburban area, and there are a few hidden gems around. But I agree none of them serves good pizza.

Just upper crust Pizza in Celebration. Next to the Wine Bar.

Disneyhead'71

For every person who regrets moving to Florida there are plenty who are pleased they did. Weather is personal preference - some people like year round heat and don't find Florida bothers them, others struggle and like a bit of cold. But once you factor out weather, it has to come down to work, people and amenities - decisions to be weighed up wherever you move to.
I'm in the "News" industry. FL's got my back on that one. Right, @PhotoDave219?

BrerJon

And for people who hardly ever go to restaurants, stuff like that isn't a big deal anyway. But everyone here seems to spend half their lives eating out if you go by many of the posts here!

71jason

FL isn't for the faint of heart. It is really tough feeling like you are on vacation everyday when you get off work. Starting your weekend with Mimosas by the pool takes some getting used to. I know, it's hard making that adjustment. It's right up there with getting used to wearing shorts to 4 star restaurants.

I have lived miserable places. Orlando isn't one of them.

The vast majority of Orlandoites I know don't get weekends off, and can't afford 4-star restaurants. After that sixth day in a row of dealing with entitled guests, not sure the $5 LIITs at TGI Fridays feel like a vacation.

Of course, if you're lucky enough to have a decent-paying professional job, Orlando can be a lot of fun. Just hope it doesn't get downsized (or staffed with an H-1 foreign worker) because odds are you won't find another one down here.

Disneyhead'71

The vast majority of Orlandoites I know don't get weekends off, and can't afford 4-star restaurants. After that sixth day in a row of dealing with entitled guests, not sure the $5 LIITs at TGI Fridays feel like a vacation.

Of course, if you're lucky enough to have a decent-paying professional job, Orlando can be a lot of fun. Just hope it doesn't get downsized (or staffed with an H-1 foreign worker) because odds are you won't find another one down here.
I don't get "weekends" off. I was at work at 4:30am this morning. But today is my Fri. And Happy Hour started at 2pm! I'm 3 large hot sakes in at Urban Hibachi in Metrowest. Work hard, Play hard!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Mannino's in Davenport was the one good slice I found within 30 minutes of me in three years of searching. And the guys who ran it were transplants from New York. The Chinese food situation was even worse.

PhotoDave219

I'm in the "News" industry. FL's got my back on that one. Right, @PhotoDave219?

Lots of news to be had in Florida. Never a dull moment. So many calls that ended with me asking "Are you serious" ...

Also lots of media outlets not wanting to pay jack either.... Further consolidation and crowdsourcing of content just adds to the issue. Adds to the economic woes and part of why I left town.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom