A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

I can't believe it; I'm finally caught up! You miss a couple of days on a Spirit thread...
Hey, since we're talking restaurants, can you help a girl out? I'm wondering if there are any good eateries near (preferably within walking distance of) the Orlando Improv.
Thanks so much!

That is at Pointe Orlando on I-Drive. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance.

ItlngrlBella

One last thing... A friend of mine who is a national recognized PTSD service dog awareness speaker & advocate posted this today... Thought it was interesting. This man has worked/taught and studied in China and has a Chinese wife. The man is in the know... Thought it was an interesting and relevant posting considering TWDC China dealings and China's influence...

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

BrerJon

The did a fantastic job handling crowds for the 2013 Expo. I had absolutely no issues and the only thing I had to wait a long time for was the live action movies presentation. Even that, it was only an hour or two and I probably didn't need to wait that long.

That's good to hear. Were you there in 2011? The crowd handling then was disastrous. I'm curious what they did differently in 2013 to remedy those problems.

BrerJon

I can't believe it; I'm finally caught up! You miss a couple of days on a Spirit thread...
Hey, since we're talking restaurants, can you help a girl out? I'm wondering if there are any good eateries near (preferably within walking distance of) the Orlando Improv.
Thanks so much!

The Improv is in the Pointe Orlando shopping mall, so lots of places.
http://www.pointeorlando.com/dining/

Maggiano's is great, probably the best Italian in Orlando (or at least in tourist land) and good for a group, but there are so many options around there.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Snow I don't mind. It's the lake effect madness that I've grown up with that drives me crazy. We occasionally have bad storms, and rarely even a tornado will blow through but a blizzard that no one really expects, it's just unreal, and we are tough to crack. We aren't NYC or Boston that just has no way to deal with it either.

It sounds terrible but every bad hurricane I've ever heard of had lots of warning . Our last two major storms left every metrologist scratching their heads.
Weather isn't everything. There's something to be said for charm and character. Florida means stucco. 1/4 acre lots that are considered "a lot of land". Lizards and cockroaches in your house. Chain restaurants only. Bad pizza. Bad sports. Tropical poverty.

I've lived in New England, Pennsylvania, Indiana (I know lake effect), and Florida, and the only place I'd never ever go back to is Florida. If you're looking for warm weather, I'd look at somewhere like Tennessee or North Carolina. Florida is such a shock to someone from the north, I saw loads of people try it for a few years and unable to handle it.

nor'easter

Weather isn't everything. There's something to be said for charm and character. Florida means stucco. 1/4 acre lots that are considered "a lot of land". Lizards and cockroaches in your house. Chain restaurants only. Bad pizza. Bad sports. Tropical poverty.

I've lived in New England, Pennsylvania, Indiana (I know lake effect), and Florida, and the only place I'd never ever go back to is Florida. If you're looking for warm weather, I'd look at somewhere like Tennessee or North Carolina. Florida is such a shock to someone from the north, I saw loads of people try it for a few years and unable to handle it.
Add ugly urban sprawl, traffic as bad or worse than around major North American cities, high crime, low wages....There are exceptional pockets but they are extremely expensive.

Flippin'Flounder

And sod, lots of sod. I recently vacationed to Ohio, and I was just laying in the grass all the time. We also don't get fireflies. There are some non-chain restaurants, not many, but you can find some great food.

GymLeaderPhil

Thanks so much!
Cafe Tu Tu Tango and Marlow's Tavern too. Hash House A Go Go is also about a five-ten minute drive up the road, good stuff.

flyerjab

Lots of walls and "coming soon" posters. A cover singer and later a guy leading a bunch of Brazilians in line-dancing Zumba routine thing, and we saw an electrified string trio. SUPER CONGESTED and bottlenecks by Paradisio, Raglan Road and T Rex.tried looking at Morimoto but can't see much above the fence.

Yes but I have a die hard cousin who goes to DL every year and never has been here - plus she's a shopaholic and we're only here Fri-Mon. It's a cluster...

So I will add to this description of the frenetic and congested atmosphere that was DTD last night. Behold.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The first image is from outside the Boathouse and Hangar area. There was a band playing there also last night. Actually, there were music acts everywhere you looked, but the Landing area was mayhem. I can only imagine what it will be like when STK, Morimoto's, the Hangar and the Edison are open.

The second photo is from the high line structure at the food truck park. Another congested spot.

I can't tell if completing thre rest of DS will transform the crowds into something better or worse.

wogwog

So I will add to this description of the frenetic and congested atmosphere that was DTD last night. Behold.

View attachment 101977

View attachment 101978

The first image is from outside the Boathouse and Hangar area. There was a band playing there also last night. Actually, there were music acts everywhere you looked, but the Landing area was mayhem. I can only imagine what it will be like when STK, Morimoto's, the Hangar and the Edison are open.

The second photo is from the high line structure at the food truck park. Another congested spot.

I can't tell if completing thre rest of DS will transform the crowds into something better or worse.
I will make a large wager on worse. The future brings even more establishments and more parking. Easy bet.

Mike S

View attachment 101977

View attachment 101978

For some reason I find the guy in the blue shirt staring right at the camera funny. Anyone want to caption it?

RSoxNo1

That's good to hear. Were you there in 2011? The crowd handling then was disastrous. I'm curious what they did differently in 2013 to remedy those problems.
I was there in 2011... it was night and day. They expanded both the smaller and arena presentations in 2013. They have expanded the arena presentation area again in 2015.

bhg469

Problem is I have a job, a great one that only allows me to go where my clients are. Currently we have a hold out and it's in tampa. It's currently the only city that we are trying to get. I was offered cleveland, aka buffalo with less snow, and houston, which intrigued me but we have family in fl and they would be a big perk of going down.

Lake effect must mean something totally different in Indiana though, because that huge body of water next to me causes a lot more trouble for us and syracuse than any other place in the country for snow and humidity if you can believe it. We often are more sticky in the summer than some times in florida so I can definitely acclimate. Not to mention we are tough people, very tough. 4 straight superbowwl losses makes you stronger and out most famous player was a murderer, well Baltimore knows about that part too...

Anyway for me, for now florida is the right move for us, weather only being a minor part of it. Its just based on people making decisions down there.

ItlngrlBella

View attachment 101977

View attachment 101978

Yep - I was in that mess last night. Even the CMs were commenting that they've never seen it that busy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom