A Spirited Perfect Ten

Figments Friend

@Lee, @marni1971 and I had the pleasure of running into him (in my case multiple times) during a madcap Fanboi DayTrip for Lee and I in September of 2010 (I wrote about it on anotherdisneyplace.com, I don't think I put it here too!) and we spoke at length about the ''disaster'' that Imagination was then and remains now.

I think it kills Tony to see what they did with one of his great works.

And i am certain that is indeed the case.
Absolutely without a doubt, i fully believe that.
How could it not be?

How could it not rip a piece of his very soul right out of him......seeing what was done to that brilliant work?
It hurts like a son of the b***** for sure...to see something that means something to not only to you, but to many others destroyed with no intention to improve upon the foundation that had already been previously laid.

My heart really goes out to him when i think about what he must have been going through on a personal and emotional level during that transitional time.
Such a wasteful and shortsighted decision it was the 'force close' the Attraction just to save a few operational dollars.
Outrageous and incredibly sad.

I remember back around the time the Original Attraction closed, a Cast Member told me who used to work the Pavilion that on the last night of operation several 'Company gentlemen' rode the Attraction for the last time through.
I would like to think one of the was Mr. Baxter, but i could never get any further insights into who those folks were.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

The idea that you come here, grab your info and take it elsewhere to consume reminds me of the crazies who are ashamed to eat at McDonald's or Wendy's and go thru the drive-thru and then pull over in the back of the parking lot or the shopping center next door and chow down.

Well, I would do that because I was listening to the police scanner between assignments....

janoimagine

Completely agree, but totally understandable when you consider it was likely brainstormed by folks who did'nt fully understand WHY the 'Original' worked so well.
They probably were not even aware of there being a earlier, better version of the JII Attraction or a 'different' Figment for all we know.

It makes a difference when you know your history, and fans would be surprised to learn that a awful lot of people working for the Company today in high positions have very little awareness of their own past.
:eek:
Which is even more astonishing ... the best creatives in the biz know their history ... whether its art history, ad history ... but to not even do your research on your own company let alone an attraction you are in charge of re-imagining ... that's just stupid ... or ignorant ... or both.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
They do ... and they do ... daily!!!

I wish they contributed here. No, I'm not looking to put you in a mansion, but I do feel it would be nice to have one place where the entire community could truly talk (or shout or whine!) at each other. Twitter and, to a lesser extent, FB have made that impossible. Plus the fact that everyone feels that just because they can blog or podcast that they should. We all know that isn't true!!!

The idea that you come here, grab your info and take it elsewhere to consume reminds me of the crazies who are ashamed to eat at McDonald's or Wendy's and go thru the drive-thru and then pull over in the back of the parking lot or the shopping center next door and chow down.

I like the disagreements and different perspectives on this site. Some can't handle it. Tis the way of information dissemination and discussion everywhere.

71jason

I see Halloween Horror Nights are starting Sept. 18th. Funny how both Disney and UNI are desperate to take the slowest month of the year and absolutely worst weather-wise and turn it into a peak visiting season. ... Sorry, not for me.

HHN caters to locals, particularly that early. Its unquestionable success does show how desperate "lifestylers" are for new content.

doctornick

On the subject of EPCOT, took my 39 y.o. friend for the first time ever today. He hated Nemo. Didn't get JIYI. Loved Soarin', got behind drinking around the world. But his final verdict: "Universal's better."

Should mention he got maingated, admitted if he'd dropped $100 he'd have felt less charitable.

But what was his opinion of SSE and LWTL? (Serious question, since those are really the main elements of "old EPCOT Center" left)

ItlngrlBella

May I suggest a visit to Trader Sams. I highly recommend.... well everything. Dark & Stormy. Lapu Lapu. You name it, its tasty.

We'll see - tight schedule. The house I rented for us is sick. Gates, upscale in Davenport. Exceeded expectations. We may just stay in and have our cocktails drink in the pool at night and all day Sunday. We will see - maybe TS tomorrow night.

The only disappointment today was having to deplane 10 minutes after we boarded for " a weird smell our crew needs to investigate" that set us back an hour and that for our finale meal on Sunday night, my uncle wants to take out all of us out for "Florida Seafood"....

(((Wait for it....))))

...at Red Lobster.
He insists. (((Shudder)))

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

We'll see - tight schedule. The house I rented for us is sick. Gates, upscale in Davenport. Exceeded expectations. We may just stay in and have our cocktails drink in the pool at night and all day Sunday. We will see - maybe TS tomorrow night.

The only disappointment today was having to deplane 10 minutes after we boarded for " a weird smell our crew needs to investigate" that set us back an hour - and that for our finale meal on Sunday night, my uncle wants to take out all out for "Florida Seafood".... (((Wait for it....))))

at Red Lobster.
He insists. (((Shudder)))

Oh hell no.

I will highly recommend Celebration Town Tavern for good seafood in your area. Gonna get better food, better atmosphere and about the same prices.

ItlngrlBella

I don't know - we will see them tomorrow so we will be whipping out the good 'ol iPhone to do some restaurant research within a particular radius. My uncle was once a leading engineer for oil companies and lived all over the world for his career - I was certain he had a more refined palate than ReD LoBsTeR.

PS: as we traveled from MCO our GPS took us through the entrance of Disney back out and through to 192 - I swear our GPS is evil and did it to taunt me.

PhotoDave219

I don't know - we will see them tomorrow so we will be whipping out the good 'ol iPhone to do some restaurant research within a particular radius. My uncle was once a leading engineer for oil companies and lived all over the world for his career - I was certain he had a more refined palate than ReD LoBsTeR.

PS: as we traveled from MCO our GPS took us through the entrance of Disney back out and through to 192 - I swear our GPS is evil and did it to taunt me.

Your GPS is insane.

You take the south exit onto 417, that to I-4. Exit after World Drive is Davenport. 20 minutes max.

ItlngrlBella

PS: Thanks for the suggestions - I'm hoping he will agree to somewhere else. When my Dad heard about the whole Red Lobster thing - his BP went from from regular to boiling. The dude is 91 - he did not come all the way from Illinois for Red Lobster. My Dad wants to head to Daytona (too far for my Uncle) - there's a place on the beach that the head of NASCAR took my Dad all the time when my he managed the Union 76 sponsorship at the track. We may just take Dad there tomorrow night for dinner.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

PS: Thanks for the suggestions - I'm hoping he will agree to somewhere else. When my Dad heard about the whole Red Lobster thing - his BP went from from regular to boiling. The dude is 91 - he did not come all the way from Illinois for Red Lobster. My Dad wants to head to Daytona (too far for my Uncle) - there's a place in the beach that the head of NASCAR took my Dad all the time when my he managed the Union 76 sponsorship at the track. We may just take Dad there tomorrow night for dinner.

Thats a great idea. Also, ask @71jason as well. Things may have changed since I left that area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom