A Spirited Perfect Ten

SJN1279

Just because a ride is "cheaper" doesn't mean it is inferior. Disney has forgotten what makes its rides fun. No one goes on a ride and thinks "Oh that was so much fun because it was 7 whole minutes and i thad x amount of animatronics!" Guests could give a damn how much Disney spends on a ride or how "elaborate" it is. What matters is how fun it is. And the truth is, the Little Mermaid is boring. There is nothing to compare to the build up of flying over London in Peter Pan, or the great views afforded by Alice in Wonderland. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a classic simply because its fun. No one complains about the cut outs because it is a well designed attraction that was designed by people who actually understood the psychology behind why guests enjoy theme park attractions. I could go on and on, but "good" =/= high tech animatronics and highly decorated show scenes. There's a reason why one of Disneyland's most popular rides is a simplistic roller coaster through a dark void: it's fun.

Mermaid is a people eating dark ride with awesome music, and some great sets. Seven Dwarves Coaster is a lot of fun(especially with the airtime in the back seat).

The_Mesh_Hatter

Mermaid is a people eating dark ride with awesome music, and some great sets. Seven Dwarves Coaster is a lot of fun(especially with the airtime in the back seat).

OK. That's your own opinion but the fact that people aren't willing to wait more than 10 minutes for the ride suggests most people disagree. And don't make the same tired argument about how great Mermaid's capacity is. Popularity of an attraction is a function of how long people are willing to wait for it. Pirates of the Caribbean has even better capacity and people are still willing to wait over 40 minutes for it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That's your own opinion but the fact that people aren't willing to wait more than 10 minutes for the ride suggests most people disagree. And don't make the same tired argument about how great Mermaid's capacity is. Popularity of an attraction is a function of how long people are willing to wait for it. Pirates of the Caribbean has even better capacity and people are still willing to wait over 40 minutes for it.
So much fail in one post. Pirates is a boat ride, not an omnimover. Current wait time for Mermaid is 25 minutes, exactly the same as Mansion and Big Thunder. Are you going to sit here and defend your argument by stating that Mansion and Big Thunder are suckfests in the same vein as Mermaid? Because that's what would be required for you to remain intellectually consistent.

Regardless, your implication that a 40 minute wait at Pirates would somehow be normal is garbage. That ride is walk-on most days from open until noon and then again from six to close.

ETA: Mine Train is at 90 BTW.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Pirates of the Caribbean has far higher capacity than an omnimover. Little Mermaid moves at a slow pace and stops frequently, it doesn't have as high of capacity as you suspect.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
as a Mexican, I always facepalm on how they inflated the cinco de mayo battle. It was a big win, but still didn't affected the final fate.

Doesn't help how it only works as excuse to get drunk with alcohol and wear fake moustaches and sombreros for a day, then continue blasting Mexicans for being the cause of the immigration problems.
Reminds me of the Saint Patrick's day as well, used as drinking holiday only.

Its also curious that they like a battle where, the Mexican forces defeated the French. But I bet they will cause mayhem and lots of anger if Mexicans in the US also tried to commemorate the US invasion in Mexico and the battle of the Chapultepec castle.

Can't be teaching 'muricans about history - we've always been at war with eastasia... (1984 was a warning not an instruction manual)

Cesar R M

Can't be teaching 'muricans about history - we've always been at war with eastasia... (1984 was a warning not an instruction manual)
I dont blame the mayority of them.
Winners write the history books as convenient as they want.
Including portraying themselves as the saviours and heroes.

Kinda harder now thanks to internet, the availability of cameras and instant communication worldwide.
But no surprise the "want" (aka desire) of the mayor powers wanting to censor the internet. (many countries already control their respective mayor news sources)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I dont blame the mayority of them.
Winners write the history books as convenient as they want.
Including portraying themselves as the saviours and heroes.

Kinda harder now thanks to internet, the availability of cameras and instant communication worldwide.
But no surprise the "want" (aka desire) of the mayor powers wanting to censor the internet. (many countries already control their respective mayor news sources)

I do the US of A was supposed to be BETTER than that, Unfortunately the 'Red Scare' and the 'War on Drugs' has turned the US of A into an authoritarian regime little better than the ones the CIA used to topple in the 60's and 70's.

For those who doubt that just look at the militarized police with the 'tacticool' gear and their pants bloused into paratrooper boots no longer 'Officer Friendly' who manned the two man substation and walked a beat and knew EVERYONE on his beat, Now it's all about itchy trigger fingers and intimidation.

I'm glad I live in a small town and know most of the cops by name and vice versa, But even here we've gotten a few we've needed to remove from the police force, One of them after a trip to the county jail started slamming a prisoners head against the cruiser hard enough to dent it, Fortunately caught on the jail camera and officer dismissed and is now spending time in prison.

71jason

You have got to wonder if Avatar would have had a more lasting impression if it had been marketed and maintained by the current Disney Machine, with cartoons, comics, consumer products. Cameron is obviously trying to go out and do that work on his own, but as DWA has discovered, it is difficult to travel those waters alone.

Hard to say. Just not sure the movies resonated the way a Star Wars or a Frozen did.

Have you ever watched the 2-hour take-down of The Phantom Menace by Red Letter Media? The part that stays with me is when they ask SW fans to describe the characters without mentioning their "job," what they wear, or what they look like. It's easy with the original trilogy characters; kind of impossible with the prequel characters. I would argue the movies that stand the test of time--Disney or otherwise--all pass that test. Why Ariel still sells merch and has multiple attractions while Brother Bear, which outgrossed TLM, is lucky to make a cameo in the Canadian pavilion.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've had people come to me privately and ask me why this thread is always talking about Universal.

Well they cleared space for them, the only problem is that one super prospect they had was out for most of all last season with a destroyed knee.

I heard Vinnie went to Hextall about Berube. Now Berube is gone. Gotta say, I love Chief but I don't think he was ready for the big Chair. I did like Vinnie with Vandevelde & that other kid. Really speedy line, not a true 4th line.
I do get a little annoyed with all the Uni vs WDW stuff especially when people get ridiculous on both sides.

Morin is their best prospect but he was still in juniors last year. He looks like a 12 year old to me (I'm getting old). He might spend a year in AHL first. Gostisbere (I think I'm missing a few vowels there) had the knee injury but should make the team. Hagg looks good too. Also looks like he's 12 to me, but youth is key to rebuilding.

PhotoDave219

I do get a little annoyed with all the Uni vs WDW stuff especially when people get ridiculous on both sides.

Morin is their best prospect but he was still in juniors last year. He looks like a 12 year old to me (I'm getting old). He might spend a year in AHL first. Gostisbere (I think I'm missing a few vowels there) had the knee injury but should make the team. Hagg looks good too. Also looks like he's 12 to me, but youth is key to rebuilding.

I believe in Hextall's plan. The Snyder plan of "reload, reload, reload" just never worked.

I like the Morin kid. Gotta give them some chances.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom