A Spirited Perfect Ten

flynnibus

Premium Member
Surprised I don't see more Disney marketing in Loudoun County given the financial demographics around here.

Richest Per Capita in the County boyeee!!! :D Between it, Fairfax, and Montgomery County we have so many money bags no one knows where to stash it all. I can't think of any localized advertising period... but that doesn't suprise me too much.. we are just suburbia after all and when you think localized advertising, people want millions of exposures - not tens of thousands. So many more on the Metro, etc

I'll say it again.. the 100k number is just common sense IMO.. but I don't subscribe to the company ethics and identity of just chasing the whales.

PhotoDave219

Unless it involves drunk princesses at trivia night, I dont wanna know..

Nah, just drunk whales from the Studios. :lookaroun

Richest Per Capita in the County boyeee!!! :D Between it, Fairfax, and Montgomery County we have so many money bags no one knows where to stash it all. I can't think of any localized advertising period... but that doesn't suprise me too much.. we are just suburbia after all and when you think localized advertising, people want millions of exposures - not tens of thousands. So many more on the Metro, etc

I'll say it again.. the 100k number is just common sense IMO.. but I don't subscribe to the company ethics and identity of just chasing the whales.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's no reason just to chase wallets and strictly cater only to the obscenely rich.

Talk about an entitlement culture.

ItlngrlBella

Is that "Lobbyist Land?"

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I fear it will only get worse. Thanks to FB, Instagram and Twitter (mostly FB), parents are raising kids and treating them like celebrities by posting pictures of everything they do or every reward their given no matter if they won or lost. When reality smacks these kids in the head a few years from now and they realize that NOBODY really cared about their "best effort" trophies or that the entire world WASNT paying attention when their mom posted all the pictures of them at the pool or Target, they will have a much more difficult time adapting to real world situations or when they arent awarded something for just showing up and loosing.

PhotoDave219

I fear it will only get worse. Thanks to FB, Instagram and Twitter (mostly FB), parents are raising kids and treating them like celebrities by posting pictures of everything they do or every reward their given no matter if they won or lost. When reality smacks these kids in the head a few years from now and they realize that NOBODY really cared about their "best effort" trophies or that the entire world WASNT paying attention when their mom posted all the pictures of them at the pool or Target, they will have a much more difficult time adapting to real world situations or when they arent awarded something for just showing up and loosing.

You mean like Ferdalump or whatever her name is?

I keep going back to "the incredibles" - when everyone is super, no one is

Mike S

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the top 20% of US households by income, spend more on vacation each year than the bottom 80% combined. That's what Disney is focusing on.

Those of you with access to Disney's TA marketing material, look for a document titled "Selling Disney Destinations: Seven Market Segments." It lists Disney's 7 "priority" demographics, along with how much those families spend on vacation each year.

Here are those vacation spend levels: $1,860 / $3,100 / $3,820 / $4,170 / $6,970 / $7,650 / $7,890

6 of the 7 "priority" demographics are in the top 20% of US household incomes; two of them spend double what the top 20% does, which probably puts them in the top 5% (or higher).

To put that in perspective, 6 of Disney's 7 "priority" demographics come from households making $100,000/year or more. (Here's a handy tool to figure this out.) The top couple of demographics are probably from households making $140,000 - $180,000+ per year.

That said, I think a lot of this debate, including a lot of what I wrote, is really a proxy for a discussion about income inequality in general. I would care a whole lot less about the cost of a Disney vacation if it was affordable to the top 50% of US households instead of the top 20%. But that's another subject.
Wow, Disney must absolutely hate people like me who can get through a nice trip (even if I stay on-site) without getting close to even $1000.
Perhaps Disney knows that specifically targeting a high income area/bracket wouldnt pay off in dividends? I would bet that most very well off families take the obligatory Disney trip for the kiddos when their young and thats all. And Im sure half of those trips are just the Mom taking the kids while Dad works or plays golf.
Which he can do at Disney........ It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!!!!!!
I agree wholeheartedly. There's no reason just to chase wallets and strictly cater only to the obscenely rich.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
we-spared-no-expense.jpg

PhotoDave219

I didnt use that phrase, but ok. We were speaking about the entitlement mentality. But if you feel the need to label yourself as the "p" word, that speaks volumes about your self esteem and kinda proves my point.

Yet Im sure they are proudly displayed

Pretty sure he isn't in the 100-150k/yr group we're looking at. Pretty sure he's not aware of the WaPo article that said WDW is becoming a playground for the rich.

AEfx

The BLS numbers exclude transportation to the vacation, b/c that's really variable. The Disney numbers don't say whether they exclude transportation, but likely do; they probably include everything else though.

First thanks for the overall info. Second, I think you are absolutely right here - those numbers from Disney look incredibly familiar. I have priced and assisted the booking of many trips for folks, and those are eerily close to what various trips come out near (w/o transportation).

do these 20% ever go to Disney hotels?
Dont these guys go to the Waldorf Astoria and Four Seasons?

That is what is VERY interesting to me about this. These aren't traditionally wealthy people that are choosing a "luxury WDW vacation". That very term is an oxymoron to most of that class of guest. The people that Disney is targeting may make $100-150K+, but they also have $800K mortgages, two $65K leased vehicles in the drive way, at least a part time nanny, upgrade their iPhones every year, etc. The folks that if it weren't for their 401k's wouldn't be putting any money away whatsoever. The folks that don't realize you can go on a European tour and see the real countries for what Disney is charging you to stay in hugely inflated "Deluxe" accommodations and come visit the fake ones.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So for the first time I used Fastpass+ with the MDE app on my recent visit (I'll give my thoughts in a later post) but as a result just got emailed a survey. "We're looking for feedback from Guests as they prepare for upcoming visits to our resort, and we would appreciate if the person in your travel party who visited DisneyWorld.com orMyDisneyExperience.com would take a brief survey about their experience."

Excellent, I thought, now to tell them what I really think.

First question: "Are you thinking about visiting WDW again in the next 12 months?"

I answer 'no' - ready to give my reasons and explain what was wrong and why I won't be back soon, but could change my mind if certain things change. But no, this is what I get in response:

"Thank you for your willingness to participate, but for this survey we are looking for individuals who match a different profile."

Boy, if I ran a company where someone had just visited then said they wouldn't be back, and had gone to the trouble of clicking a link to reply to a survey, I'd be dying to know what their reasons were, not shutting them off without any interest in what they had to say. What a waste of an opportunity. I really don't understand the mindset of TWDC sometimes.

It's easy they want to juke the stats with POSITIVE REVIEWS only...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On China... you only have to look at how international parks are perceived internationally to see how it could pan out if Shendi did cut Disney out of the picture, and why it isn't a situation everyone's going to be desperate to avoid.

Disney isn't going to shout from the rooftops about how Iger has been played like a fiddle, they will keep quiet, and never mention Shanghai, like an illegitimate child they choose not to mention - it's not as if they promote Tokyo outside of Japan particularly often as it is, so not much change there. So there's little danger to the Chinese of Disney scaring off other companies - to save face, the mouse will be spinning the upsides of the deal for many years to come, no matter how bad a deal they end up having made.

We will see SDL for what it is, but the average international guest will barely know or care it exists, and Iger's Folly will become little more than a curious footnote in the company history, while the Chinese get a huge trophy and kudos at having beaten an American giant while barely trying.

And we will get ZIP while TWDC tries to recoup the largest single loss by a US company in China.

Prog

wdisney9000 said: ↑

I didnt use that phrase, but ok. We were speaking about the entitlement mentality. But if you feel the need to label yourself as the "p" word, that speaks volumes about your self esteem and kinda proves my point.

Was this directed to my (apparently deleted) post?

PhotoDave219

wdisney9000 said: ↑

Was this directed to my (apparently deleted) post?

Yes, he was quoting you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom