A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

I am completely in favor of launching the Kardashian's into space, but towards mercury. I don't want to Risk An intergalactic throwdown with whatever Martians may or may not exist.

I mean it would be like trying to build a theme park on Mars. The Martians call the shots. You can think you have some sort of control but that's only at the discretion of the Martians.

And then, when it's all Said & done & you've invested your money? The Martians very well may just take your theme park and force you out.
why not light/throw the kardasians into jupiter?.
the amount of chemicals/silicon they have in their bodies ( thanks to all the plastic surgeries) would ignite Jupiter into a new sun a la "2010 the year we make contact" .

AEfx

why not light/throw the kardasians into jupiter?.
the amount of chemicals/silicon they have in their bodies ( thanks to all the plastic surgeries) would ignite Jupiter into a new sun a la "2010 the year we make contact" .

ROFL, you just reminded me of one of the newer episodes of AbFab...I love that they still make them, it's hilarious hearing them talk about Kardashians and playing with iPads:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Except, that it doesn't, IMO. Why should Shanghai DL be marketed internationally? How much international marketing does Disneyland really do, they hardly advertise in the eastern part of the US!? How much do the other parks advertise outside of their region? WDW is marketed heavily, but they are more the exception. There is a reason our Disneyland is considered a "locals" park, why should their's be any different? Now if a non-Chinese person in Shanghai on business, or a Disney freak fan who travels a lot were to show up at the gate and not be allowed in THAT would be news.

Well, I can argue that Shanghai again attracts a huge number of visitors every year. It is one of the 'destinations' for most westerners visiting, for example. But I'm not sure it should do much international marketing. HKDL does do a fair amount, but for most people visiting Hong Kong a visa isn't required. Still, the vast majority of visitors are either locals or Mainlanders from Guangdong Province (basically right across 'the border'), then you have a growing number from India, Japan and Indonesia and then it's really a trickle from any/every where else.

And DLR does do a considerable amount of marketing in both the USA, largely from the Rockies west and internationally.

As to your scenario above, IF SDL is as successful as the hype and planted stories would lead you to believe it will be, then people could arrive and be turned away -- simply due to capacity. I don't imagine non-Chinese Guests being turned away ever just because they were not Chinese. I have to tell you, though, I have known business associates who have been turned away from restaurants in the mainland AND Hong Kong (westerners) under BS reasons (when basically they would have been the only non-Chinese there and made the other diners 'uncomfortable') ... I have never experienced this anywhere in Asia. But racism is very much alive and well over there.

I will say that if that ever did happen that it would be Disney that would have one helluva PR disaster to deal with. It may not be Disney's Park, but their name is on it, their IP is in it, their reputation is the one on the line.

But I'm planning on attending the opening. As is @Lee and @WDWFigment (and they don't get lighter and more American than him!), so we'll let you know if there's a problem.

Cesar R M

@WDW1974 thanks for the China post. Very concerning and as much as it is a slap on Iger it shows the bigger concerns and fear of the China government and what they will and will not allow. Disney is stupid to agree to this behavior but the bigger concern for me going forward is how will western business be themselves and their brands in this country. Or is that not an option at this time?

I personally am sick of America walking on tip toes around the China government. We allow so much to happen against America business ip patents etc and we just stand back and allow it and allow them to do it. It has got to stop!

China is one of the biggest untapped markets for western business but it is not worth the cost if we have to operate as They dictate.

Sorry for my rant. Disney screwed up and this deal smells has smelled and will smell but will smell when you get into bed with this country.

Apple has maybe more pull as they buy so much from this region maybe that is why they play game better. But damn Disney screwed up.
their country and their rules. do not expect every country in the world to conform to US's ideals, specially when US interests WANT TO MAKE business in the country's soil.

PhotoDave219

DSH First 5.jpg

Last Studios Chart for Tonight. Really.

DHS is losing its mid-level crowds. They've shown an increase of off-peak crowds. Yes, they're up over last year for peak crowds and that may be the only thing that saves them. Otherwise, they're matching up with the disasterous first 2 quarters of last year.

Though there's one thing to bear in mind. 2015 has Frozen in it, 2013 & 14 did not. I'm not showing that above average bounce from before. We should be seeing more crowds in the 6/7 segment and we're not.

Cesar R M

Except, that it doesn't, IMO. Why should Shanghai DL be marketed internationally? How much international marketing does Disneyland really do, they hardly advertise in the eastern part of the US!? How much do the other parks advertise outside of their region? WDW is marketed heavily, but they are more the exception. There is a reason our Disneyland is considered a "locals" park, why should their's be any different? Now if a non-Chinese person in Shanghai on business, or a Disney freak fan who travels a lot were to show up at the gate and not be allowed in THAT would be news.
Dont know about you, but Mexico gets bombarded at certain times with offers to both Disneyland and WDW.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It would be different if China were the size and population of North Korea, but as you pointed out...1.4 billion people. How much international exposure do they need?

I don't know that they need it, but they desire attention. As someone who helped put on the 2008 Beijing Olympiad, and other major events in the mainland, I can tell you first hand the Chinese crave the international stage. They want to be noticed and they want respect for what they have done in the last 30 years (basically built an entirely new nation, while we were killing our middle class and killing people in the Middle East).

The point (as I shouldn't post when Corden has a fresh show on!) is that Disney isn't the only one that wants to show the world SDL -- the government absolutely wants the place to be seen and popular. They wouldn't have built it (even if our 2007-08 economic meltdown is ultimately the reason why Iger got a deal signed) if they didn't.

Cesar R M

Am I the only one who is baffled that too many folks here think you can increase Maelstrom's hourly capacity by "adding more boats"?

You could add 100 extra boats and a mile of extra flume in a new building behind Norway, but if the boats seat 12 passengers and are being dispatched every 40 seconds via the same ride system as they have since 1988, then the hourly capacity is still about 900 riders per hour.

The extra boats and extra flume would only make the ride chronologically longer, not increase the hourly capacity. It's still just 900 per hour, even if they replace the cheesy polar bears with a cheesier Olaf.
solution.. make rocket propelled flumes and just throw the guests in and out with catapults! :hilarious:

AEfx

Dont know about you, but Mexico gets bombarded at certain times with offers to both Disneyland and WDW.

Interesting. That makes sense because of proximity. The advertisements are highly segmented in the US - on the East Coast, I have never seen a single Disneyland ad. I recall at some point someone saying that they only advertise Disneyland within X hundred miles of the park here, but I don't remember what the number was.

That's kind of what we were talking about earlier, how Disneyland just doesn't need as much promotion - because Los Angeles is such a huge attraction in and of itself. Particularly for international tourists, some of whom can't speak English but they sure know how to get off the plan and ask for "Disneyland?"

PhotoDave219

I don't know that they need it, but they desire attention. As someone who helped put on the 2008 Beijing Olympiad, and other major events in the mainland, I can tell you first hand the Chinese crave the international stage. They want to be noticed and they want respect for what they have done in the last 30 years (basically built an entirely new nation, while we were killing our middle class and killing people in the Middle East).

The point (as I shouldn't post when Corden has a fresh show on!) is that Disney isn't the only one that wants to show the world SDL -- the government absolutely wants the place to be seen and popular. They wouldn't have built it (even if our 2007-08 economic meltdown is ultimately the reason why Iger got a deal signed) if they didn't.

So, what you're suggesting is reinforcement of Mr. Snyder's article, that Disney is unprepared to enter China and is making cultural faux pas every step of the way? And because of not understanding the culture, China retaliates by making Iger lose face in a very public fashion?

Does that boil it down?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Next time use the word cornbread in the tweet. They'll drop trou and you'll get 117 replies. Here's some life advice, if you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room. #disneytwitter

Nah, you want attention by Disney Twits? You tweet about cupcakes, tiki mugs, Orange Bird tees. Those will go around the world a few million times. Serious stuff? Not gonna happen.

They'll think they're serious tomorrow when they all start analyzing the numbers that TEA releases like they're experts and that's where the serious stuff ends.

I never thought I'd say it, but I think Andy 'Fidel's Little Bro' Castro is truly one of the most intellectual and passionate people on the Disney Twit Feed. I've come to enjoy his stuff (which I usually see when stalking my pal @WDWFigment to see where in the world he is!) And I do enjoy some of the posts by that AnotherVoice guy (who apparently is on the DIS, something I just found out from a fellow MAGICal member) as he seems to have a very good grasp on how Disney's businesses are run. ... Most of it, though, just a waste ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, what you're suggesting is reinforcement of Mr. Snyder's article, that Disney is unprepared to enter China and is making cultural faux pas every step of the way? And because of not understanding the culture, China retaliates by making Iger lose face in a very public fashion?

Does that boil it down?

Not completely.

But that is largely true. If you want to get as close to bottom-lining it as you can with such a complex subject.

Cesar R M

I don't understand the comments saying the Iger didn't want to be part of the opening because of cultural sensitivity. Iger went to China on a week when he was otherwise very busy with the Disneyland 60th - and the argument is that all he was there to do was to have closed door meetings? While the schedule changes are a bit shocking, it's the most likely explanation.

CEO's appear in opening photos in China; ceremony is really important. Iger getting shut out does not bode well for the future. Some quick Google examples...

GM: http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...ent/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Sep/0921_china.html
Ford: http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages/Ford Increases Capacity in China with New Assembly Plant in Hangzhou.aspx
Lincoln: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20141106006454/en/Lincoln-Opens-Stores-China-Unveils-“The-Lincoln
Jotun: http://www.norway.cn/News_and_event...ai-Jotuns-first-China-flagship-store-opened-/
Ashley: http://www.furnituretoday.com/article/405078-ashley-furniture-opens-first-china-store-in-shanghai
Junghans: http://www.europastar.com/retail-world/1004084829-junghans-opens-first-store-in-china.html
I actually wonder if the sudden expansion of Chinese interest in the China sea is part of why the "cold shoulder" treatment is being offered to Disney (and perhaps more companies in the future). (since the US and China are pretty much poking each other in that area)

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 - Any information out there about Star Wars Land???? Is it still on life support ???? Like a lot of people here, I'm very frustrated with Iger for dragging his feet with what looks like a sure thing.

He is dragging his feet and fanbois around by their blanks.

I still don't see how he gets through D23 without some kind of announcement -- even if isn't overly detailed and even if he says it won't open until next decade.

Cesar R M

Small unconfirmed WDW rumor: something else may be closing at The Park Without a Name or Identity But Thankfully No Cartoon Hat in the very near future. Think before the end of summer.

so, something else closed in a park that barely as much... heee.. what are they going to do? wait 7 years more to build something?

I see multiple attractions closing before the end of the fiscal year. That is largely opinion -- but very, very educated opinion.
should we expect DHS's attendance numbers going to hell while MK gets even busier?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom