A Spirited Perfect Ten

the.dreamfinder

Thoughts on "Tomorrowland"
I feel the need to preface this by saying I very much admire Brad Bird as a director and the optimistic futurism espoused by Walt Disney and embodied in the 64/65 World's Fair, Tomorowland and the original Future World, significant portions of which I never got to see like Horizons or World of Motion. "The Incredibles" holds a dear place in my heart as the film which got me enveloped in the filmmaking process, the exhaustive extras on that DVD were very important here. (So please take note Disney that new releases SHOULD have well made, detailed extras that examine the filmmaking process in depth. You don't know the positive impact they can truly have.)

"Tomorrowland" was a disappointment, but not a completely bad film. I liked lots of individual components, whether they be the excellent production design, the beautiful cinematography of Claudio Miranda (of "Life of Pi" fame), or Michael Giacchino's score. However, the film failed to come together primarily due to its weak story, too many action sequences, heavy handed delivery of its messages via exposition. The film's message of optimism is a laudable one, but it works best in the beginning when Casey first visits Tomorrowland via the pin, or rather an advertisement as Frank calls it. Here Bird's main goal is to make you feel like anything is possible, the value of optimism, not trying to shove that message via mystery box plotting and exposition. Before I move on, all of the action scenes in this film are well made, but there's too many of them and they often detract from developing the story and its characters. The final battle sequence and the comic book store fight, no matter how cool the ray gun battle is, are particularly emblematic of this issue.

Which brings me to my conclusion of this post, hopefully not the conversation since there is a lot more to discuss. Tomorrowland seems to be what many animated films at Disney and Pixar feel like before they really get their footing. The work being done is mostly good and being made by men and women who are working very hard, but the bigger areas of story and character development need to be addressed before the project proceeds to full production. Unfortunately for "Tomorrowland", it needed more time to become its best self so its worldview could be in a film where it could deeply resonate.

Last edited:

Phil12

I'm rather surprised that anyone has a use for movie reviews these days.

Perhaps because I have a difficult time trusting a stranger's opinion of a film. If I want to see something, no random person's review will dissuade me.

Personally, I may watch Tomorrowland again...
You sound as if you might be the proud owner of an Isuzu Trooper.

Cesar R M

I'm rather surprised that anyone has a use for movie reviews these days.

Perhaps because I have a difficult time trusting a stranger's opinion of a film. If I want to see something, no random person's review will dissuade me.

Personally, I may watch Tomorrowland again...
Agree with you, specially when a lot of "critics" hate EVERYTHING. like they try too hard to be the "Anton Ego" of the movie world.

VJ

http://movieweb.com/tomorrowland-movie-walt-disney-disneyland-references/

Lindelof's decision to cut most of the Walt/Park meta-subplot (even though it was probably the biggest selling point to me and people kept lighting up when I explained that part of the backstory when they asked what the hell the movie was about) really took me out of the story.

You can't go "Oh it's just too silly and weird to mention Walt was in on it" and then unironically refer to all the androids as "Audio Animatronics"
"...it felt like we were inside a Disney movie..."

Did they not know who was making the film or something?

AEfx

Oh it annoys the hell out of me when people fail to identify the park they are referring to correctly.

Should we start marking every post in the discussion with a code maybe? ;) I know this thread moves fast and furious, but we had been discussing Star Wars at Disneyland for a few pages already (since they seem like they have a tiny bit more to possibly discuss), particularly the Tomorrowland rumors. It was a pretty natural progression.

Just saw now. First it was DL then he talked about MK. Threw me off I guess. The point I made is still accurate. MK has plenty of space before having to chop out the Speedway.

Sure, but I still wouldn't be sorry to see either one on either coast go the way of the Sky Way. I know folks have a huge attachment to it that I just don't understand - when I was 8 on my first trip to WDW, I didn't ride Dumbo either. I took a look at both Dumbo and Speedway and was like "our local rinky park has nearly identical rides, I want to go to the real Disney rides" and would start pulling folks toward Haunted Mansion.

I guess some folks associate it with their first driving experience, which I somewhat get - but don't share since I'm a country boy and at that age I had already been out on dirt back roads and fields with real vehicles. :)

Covered this in the thread before and now we have official video from Universal. Best M&G in O-Town?
[/MEDIA][/QUOTE]

Wow, now that's cool. I'm really impressed they are letting folks get so close and actually touch them. They were big on not touching the Triceratops. Wonder what the lines are like for this.

Funmeister

There are also murmurs that Disney forced the contractors to pay their workers much higher wages than they normally get as well.

Disney would also issue contracts for various projects to companies that wanted the business. They would or could not complete the project within the agreed amount of time. Usually getting a reduced amount on the contract and have the Buena Vista Construction Company come in and finish it up.

One of the bigger instances of this was the repainting of the TTC Monorail station around 2000 or 2001 I believe.

Mike S

Sure, but I still wouldn't be sorry to see either one on either coast go the way of the Sky Way. I know folks have a huge attachment to it that I just don't understand - when I was 8 on my first trip to WDW, I didn't ride Dumbo either. I took a look at both Dumbo and Speedway and was like "our local rinky **** park has nearly identical rides, I want to go to the real Disney rides" and would start pulling folks toward Haunted Mansion.

I guess some folks associate it with their first driving experience, which I somewhat get - but don't share since I'm a country boy and at that age I had already been out on dirt back roads and fields with real vehicles. :)
I have no attachment to the Speedway either. I just think MK should have some actual additions before any more subtractions.
Wow, now that's cool. I'm really impressed they are letting folks get so close and actually touch them. They were big on not touching the Triceratops. Wonder what the lines are like for this.
I'm surprised they're allowing guests to touch it as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom