A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anecdotally, this week was not bad until Wednesday, has been very busy since (especially yesterday and this morning). But signs have been in place for phased closings all week, have not been used. I'll be surprised if MK doesn't at least go Phase 1 today and tomorrow.

From what I hear, even Universal hasn't felt the need to use switchbacks in Diagon.

A lot of it just how the calendar falls. Talking with northern friends, some kids got a March break rather than full week at Easter (although not true of all of them). Also, I imagine snow days cut short quite a few Spring Breaks, as schools try to make up days.

I don't see any Phased Closings threads here, so I'm going to guess that we made it through Easter and Spring Break with none. Guess were good until July 4th now!

Based on crowds at SoFla beaches, it appears we hit our peak about three weeks ago now and it's been steadily downhill since. I'd guess within two weeks all the snowbirds will be heading back to northern climes.

Furiated

I think this is a nuance that has been missed in the "guests are slobs" conversation. I don't think anyone is shocked or put off at a guy in an Iron Man t-shirt and some plaid shorts. It's the "MILF" tank tops, "JUICY" yoga pants, and "Female Body Inspector" shirts that drive people crazy. Some of the conversation has made it sound like anyone who dresses beneath a collared shirt and golf shorts is a barbarian.

That's what I always wonder when the attire subject comes up (which is pretty often on here). I'm with people that think wearing a dripping wet bathing suit and dirty sleeveless tee into California Grill is not okay. But am I a jerk for wearing a Disney t-shirt and a clean pair of cargo shorts to the parks?

If I am, that's fine, just looking to clarify :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I love being mistaken for a pixie duster! =D

No, I have little love for the creative direction of current WDW. I do however often disagree Iger is the cause. My WDW - EPCOT, River Country, Adult MK, The Empress Lilly - was replaced for inferior product well before Iger.

True, but what many fail to grasp is that MDE's disastrous last 5-7 years at the company (which weren't all that bad in some areas, but not the point) set up these same execs with the Strat Planning background to continue the damage. And boy have they ever.

And Bob Iger has had almost a decade in charge, and years before as No. 2, to change that. Not only hasn't he, but he has gone even further into that direction.

You can't blame Eisner for the WDW of 2015. You can, and should, blame Iger.

That is what being CEO of TWDC gets you!

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's what I always wonder when the attire subject comes up (which is pretty often on here). I'm with people that think wearing a dripping wet bathing suit and dirty sleeveless tee into California Grill is not okay. But am I a jerk for wearing a Disney t-shirt and a clean pair of cargo shorts to the parks?

If I am, that's fine, just looking to clarify :)

Of course not, especially in FL weather.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Actually, EPCOT had many periods in the 80s, early 90s that they were open until 9:30 p.m. or 10 p.m., so he's sorta right, just too far out with the hours. I've run across old park schedules when cleaning out some junk awhile back and noticed it during many time periods.

Oops, my sarcasm wasn't picked up on!

Indeed, EC had many regular operating periods of 11 p.m. and midnight closings (of course, they also had plenty of attractions to keep one busy for a day or two ... a full day or two).

Now, they only extend when it is a holiday like July 4th or NYE or when festivals mean added Food and Beverage sales.

BTW, still owe you a note ... am very behind on PMs and this week looks insane.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don't see any Phased Closings threads here, so I'm going to guess that we made it through Easter and Spring Break with none. Guess were good until July 4th now!

Based on crowds at SoFla beaches, it appears we hit our peak about three weeks ago now and it's been steadily downhill since. I'd guess within two weeks all the snowbirds will be heading back to northern climes.
Theory as to why? I've seen some WDW-specific theories but this post makes it sound like tourism to the region is down overall?

WDW1974

Original Poster
It was MDE's 'Strategic Planning' group created after Frank Well's death which was the original source of the rot seen everywhere today because of their belief that park operations could be reduced to a formula, However it was Iger who put that program on 'Roids.

Strat Planning came along when Wells (who almost gets a God-like pass because he died youngish in an accident) was No. 2. He was part of the problem just like Michael with this cancer, one that still permeates TWDC to this day.

alphac2005

Oops, my sarcasm wasn't picked up on!

Indeed, EC had many regular operating periods of 11 p.m. and midnight closings (of course, they also had plenty of attractions to keep one busy for a day or two ... a full day or two).

Now, they only extend when it is a holiday like July 4th or NYE or when festivals mean added Food and Beverage sales.

BTW, still owe you a note ... am very behind on PMs and this week looks insane.

I know. I was trying to clarify for those that might not have picked up on it. ;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Theory as to why? I've seen some WDW-specific theories but this post makes it sound like tourism to the region is down overall?

I'd like to say the economy because I know many never recovered from 2007-08. But gas is so low now, so that helps. I don't really know. I will say that the Spring Breakers here in Broward County looked like the kind that were ... ... on the poor side, so no Cozumel or Cabo or Grand Cayman for them.

Your guess is as good as mine.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah, we did it when we had Happy 15 at Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, and ran there right when it opened. For the nighttime version, we jumped in line 30 minutes before park closing (keeping in mind they cut lines there). Two hour waits sound about right. The queue can wind all the way through Adventureland now.

Overall, I thought the ride was nicely plussed with the projection mapping and other effects, and I think it was definitely a solid implementation of the technology, but I don't think it's as much of an improvement as the huge wait time increases suggest. Honestly, I was expecting a bit more. The nighttime version is slightly better, but it's mostly differences in lighting, and not two dramatically different attractions.

Thanks for the mini-review.

I'm not saying $107/night at the All Stars is a good deal. It's not. However, haven't hotel rates risen across the board in the last decade in the US? I know when I look at Hotwire/Priceline/etc. now when planning trips versus when I looked in 2010 or so, rates are noticeably higher just about everywhere. This is no way in defense of WDW's pricing strategy, just that I don't think 2005 is a good indicator of what prices "should" be now.

I don't know exact numbers, but I do know the average hotel room in the WDW area has pretty much stayed flat for years (slight increases, slight decreases etc). I know the rates I've paid around the country and world haven't fluctuated much over the last few years. I can't say much about WDW because when I visit I'm either using DVC points or staying with friends (so, essentially it's free ... the best way to go!) An AP rate of $107 plus tax is roughing $120 a night ... for a tiny, decorated not themed, motel room with very limited motel amenities. The last time I stayed there was five years ago and paid $52 a night, which was a cast rate. I felt that was about what those motels are worth.

But, in general, I don't think prices are vastly more pricey in the O-town market in 2015 than 2005. But they are at Disney.

Combining the two subjects...Japan presents a real travel value right now. Falling airfare and $1:120 yen make it really attractive. I'm sure I'll take flak for suggesting that, and it certainly won't work for those of you with 6 kids who are used to driving to WDW, but for some travelers who would fly and stay on-site, it could be around the same price or even cheaper than a WDW trip. Really worth crunching the numbers...

You can keep preaching and I'll say 'Amen, Brother!' but 99% of the folks you are preaching to won't even consider it. WDW is their safe place, their happy place. They don't want to travel around the globe to a scary place where most people don't speak English and the food looks different, even if that place has the best run Disney parks in existence.

I haven't seen the new hub in person yet, so I can't speak to that, but Caribbean Plaza is so sad now. It would be great to really see that area improved, parts of it reopened, and the water features turned back on. There's so much there that goes unnoticed now because of the way areas of the land have been reconfigured (for lack of a better term).

Exactly. People don't realize that the exit plaza for PoTC used to be fountains and water and flowers and music. No displays of crappy Disney merchandise all over. And ... wow, been in MAGIC Land way too long, need to return to reality.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Is that you, Captain Confederate States of America?
Slavery was just as legal in the United States of America as it was in the Confederate States of America. That doesn't make it evil to be proud to be an American. As a matter of fact, just about every colonial power engaged in slavery at some point or another. Does that make it okay? Of course not. But it sure as heck doesn't put the French, Spanish, British, or Dutch flags or pride therein on par with Nazism.

Bolna

I'd like to say the economy because I know many never recovered from 2007-08. But gas is so low now, so that helps. I don't really know. I will say that the Spring Breakers here in Broward County looked like the kind that were ... ... on the poor side, so no Cozumel or Cabo or Grand Cayman for them.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Strong Dollar, less international tourists? For the Eurozone a trip to the US has just become 25% more expensive within the last year. Might deter quite some people. Not sure how the exchange rate is with other foreign tourism markets?

TalkingHead

Slavery was just as legal in the United States of America as it was in the Confederate States of America. That doesn't make it evil to be proud to be an American. As a matter of fact, just about every colonial power engaged in slavery at some point or another. Does that make it okay? Of course not. But it sure as heck doesn't put the French, Spanish, British, or Dutch flags or pride therein on par with Nazism.

It was just a joke about your screen name.

Besides, you don't need to tell me about American history. I've seen the American Adventure, so I know everything about it already.

Nubs70

Strong Dollar, less international tourists? For the Eurozone a trip to the US has just become 25% more expensive within the last year. Might deter quite some people. Not sure how the exchange rate is with other foreign tourism markets?
Just wait till the US Fed increases the funds rate as the ECB is doing QE. A trip to Germany is in the near future for me.

Animaniac93-98

It's just as bad in Canada, the country that makes up the largest % of non-US tourists in Florida (followed by Brazil and then U.K.).

You think Disney hotel rates are bad, try paying an extra 25-30% for the exact same room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom