A Spirited Perfect Ten

Nubs70

I still wonder why people would get angry at people with cosplays or suits.
Villains and halloween events always has people dressed up.

The CM tag is the important thing to distinguish one from another.
who cares if someone wants to take a photo of someone in a suit-cosplay.

This is of course, completely different than going there and flaunt to be a CM even if they arent.
Why? Cosplay is just a hop skip and jump from bronie.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm a Walt guy too. I think much of the debate that takes place here comes down to the fundamental difference between people who are fans of Walt Disney and people who are fans of Disney®. If your view of Disney isn't rooted in Walt than Disney will never be anything more than a brand or business to you.

Exactly - I'm a fan of Walt and Roy Disney, People give Roy too little credit for his role in creating Walt's brand of magic.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I love being mistaken for a pixie duster! =D

No, I have little love for the creative direction of current WDW. I do however often disagree Iger is the cause. My WDW - EPCOT, River Country, Adult MK, The Empress Lilly - was replaced for inferior product well before Iger.

It was MDE's 'Strategic Planning' group created after Frank Well's death which was the original source of the rot seen everywhere today because of their belief that park operations could be reduced to a formula, However it was Iger who put that program on 'Roids.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I still wonder why people would get angry at people with cosplays or suits.
Villains and halloween events always has people dressed up.

The CM tag is the important thing to distinguish one from another.
who cares if someone wants to take a photo of someone in a suit-cosplay.

This is of course, completely different than going there and flaunt to be a CM even if they arent.
I think it's probably a slippery slope for Disney. Unfortunately there are bad people out there who want to do bad things (especially around kids). It probably works for Halloween parties because people know that everyone else is wearing costumes. Where it's more of an issue is when you think it's an employee in a costume but it's really just a "weird" guy.

For the record, I have no problem with a bunch of local kids or Lifestylers or whatever we're calling them today getting together and dressing up like it's the 1950s at the parks. It's always fun to have costume parties with a theme. I don't see any harm in people doing this. From the pictures posted here it seemed like a bunch of people having a good time to me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Buy a bottle of brain cleanser and then google the term, You will understand the need for the brain cleanser after you see search results...
Save yourself. Don't Google it.

My life changed...and not in a good way...when someone pointed this out to me here a while ago. I wish I could go back to a time when I too had never heard of a Bronie. Life was simpler then. Kids cartoons were just cartoons...for kids.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The strategic planning group was created long before Frank Well's death..
This is correct. Staggs joined TWDC in 1990 as a manager in the strategic planning group. Rasulo joined in 1986 as director, strategic planning. The group has been around at least since 1986. It was restructured several times under Eisner, but has been around for quite a while.

Last edited:

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Some of NextGen was most definitely capital expenditure and falls under a depreciation schedule. That even includes some of the development.

But, when we decompose NextGen, very little of the "nuts and bolts" were groundbreaking or cutting edge. MB's, RFID, the underlying infrastructure (including servers, network, etc.) all are pretty much basic blocking and tackling, and all have been done before and are in production in much larger and more real time environments than Disney hosts.

As a matter of fact, Disney isn't really in the big leagues when it comes to data size, throughput, complexity, criticality or timeliness - quite the opposite. If the Exxon/Mobils, Walmarts, Dow Jones, and Amazons are at the "PhD level", Disney would be somewhere in 8th grade by comparison. They have overnight batch windows and no mainframe, (unless that's changed recently) just to set where they actually are on the spectrum

So, what caused the huge cost overruns? The Data and the Business Rules the had to be turned into code behind everything Disney is trying to accomplish - presenting those FP ressies to future guests that places them in the Park they want them in and when they want them there. That huge - "datawarehouse- like" entity they want to be able to mine and manipulate. Use it to give those future realtime offerings of discounts, or table service openings based on where you physically are at that moment, and many, many, more, complex algorithms.

That's what was incredibly expensive, that's what caused the cost overruns. That was what was so complex about NextGen since taking those usually horribly defined and documented business requirements from the Execs, Sales, Marketing, Ops etc., and turning them into production-ready code is an art not a science and can take hundreds of man-years to accomplish.

Which is why the Accentures of the world are brought in - very expensive, but they and their brethren are pretty much the only ones who can do it. Neither Disney nor any other company retains that skill set.

Unfortunately, once you "prove" the concept of the software/data warehousing project - the largest expense, it ceases as a depreciable effort. The timing can be very grey, but definitely once you move into true beta (not that 2 year long beta Disney declared publicly). Then, those software development expenses go into FY operating costs - into the maintenance, enhancement buckets. That could have started all the way back to Dec 2012 when I saw CMs, their families and selected guests running around and showing up at rides like HM for their scheduled times that appeared on their IPads.

That was the problem for Disney and what we all saw as the pillaging of Ops budgets across the board for an FY or two. Getting the silly thing to work had crossed over into real, current FY, money that had to come from budgets they didn't plan for.

It happens all the time. And the less sophisticated a corporation is in data, infra. and just in their overall understanding of what they want (Disney), the higher the risk and the higher percentage of cost and time-to-value overruns. Even the most sophisticated corporations overrun by an average of 30 percent. They weren't sophisticated to start. Hence the issue....

And @ParentsOf4, please correct me if I've misstated any of this. I've been more on the running these instead of accounting for these, side of things....

Great post but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. My recent dealings with Accenture were subpar and the firm wasted ~$2mm on a project they worked on. I would imagine what Disney hired them for they were better suited to accomplish. Essentially Accenture couldn't properly grasp our existing data matrix used by the firm (large acquisitions made systems a complete mess) which extended the time of the project significantly and their services were terminated for the project.

Funmeister

Why? Cosplay is just a hop skip and jump from bronie.

Eh...not really. Cosplay are fans dressing up as their favorite characters as someone would for Halloween or Mardi Gras. Bronies do not dress up as ponies they like as much as they...um...well....obsess over the love they have for them. They are very different. Don't get me wrong. There are people into cosplay who sleep, eat and drink the characters they portray which could be considered "unhealthy" by some. In general they are different.

JoeCamel

Exactly - I'm a fan of Walt and Roy Disney, People give Roy too little credit for his role in creating Walt's brand of magic.

Sole reason Roy gets top billing at MK. Without him it would not have happened. Too bad he didn't live much longer than opening day so he could enjoy putting Walt's ideas into practice. The rest of WED/WDI would have had a tough time growing without Roy's special brand of magic. He knew how to get things done.

the.dreamfinder

a fat horrible smelling basement dwelling dude who pretty much kidnapped the kid show of "My Little Pony, friendship is magic" to create insane ****o/deviant characters that have little to do with friendship or magic.

I'm a IT, and I've had the displeasure of see the invasion of "bronies" in many fan sites.
5c4.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom