A Spirited Perfect Ten

RSoxNo1

@WDW1974 @ParentsOf4 @Lee

Getting back on that slow boat to China...

The Chinese government is shutting down golf courses because the sport is considered too elite and capitalist. Some of the greens fees are as high as $250, but other courses are much less expensive. It doesn't matter. Golf isn't "Chinese"; it's Western, and the government is shutting it down.

This sounds like the ideal political climate for a Disney park built under the Iger Era of Corporate Greed.

http://usat.ly/1FsZVsM
Well, at least Disney and the characters they'll be pushing aren't Western...

Eric1955

I cannot agree more with this quote. I'm more of a Walt guy than a Disney company guy and I don't think I'm alone in that.

I'm a Walt guy too. I think much of the debate that takes place here comes down to the fundamental difference between people who are fans of Walt Disney and people who are fans of Disney®. If your view of Disney isn't rooted in Walt then Disney will never be anything more than a brand or business to you.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I believe several posters mentioned that other budgets were being affected in 2013 or 2014 as a result of MyMagic+ overruns, but I'm unaware of any official Disney statement for that. IMO, there is little doubt that corporate Disney has focused a great deal of effort on cost reductions in recent years (Can I please have my printed napkins back?) as a way to improve margins, but I cannot be sure that these are directly related to MyMagic+ overruns.

The thing is, a budget is a budget. When something starts to seriously overrun, it's my experience that senior executives often go on a hunting expedition to cut costs wherever they can find them.

In the first quarter of 2015, domestic P&R capex is low, only 7.4% of P&R revenue. IMO, this is because of the money being spent in Shanghai. Unlike Eisner who sometimes let P&R capex run wild, Iger seems intent on capping P&R capex in the low 20% of P&R revenue. With all the money being spent in Shanghai right now, I'm not surprised (but I am disappointed) that domestic P&R capex is suffering.

Regarding expenses, Disney reported the following for P&R for the first quarter of FY2015:

Operating expenses include operating labor, which increased $87 million from $1,032 million to $1,119 million, cost of sales, which increased $23 million from $346 million to $369 million and infrastructure costs, which decreased $16 million from $423 million to $407 million. The increase in operating labor was primarily due to inflation, higher pension and postretirement medical costs and higher volumes. The increase in cost of sales was due to higher volumes. The decrease in infrastructure costs was driven by the absence of costs that were incurred in the prior-year quarter for the dry-dock of the Disney Magic and lower information systems expense. Other operating expenses, which include costs for supplies and commissions, increased primarily due to higher volumes, inflation and higher pre-opening costs at Shanghai Disney Resort.​

Selling, general, administrative and other costs increased $27 million from $408 million to $435 million driven by higher marketing costs.​

The increase in depreciation and amortization was driven by new attractions.​

It's possible that the "lower information systems expense" mentioned above is somehow linked to MyMagic+ but, unlike in 2014, Disney did not explicitly state this for the first quarter of 2015. Maybe they don't like people reading their SEC filings and commenting about them on this website? :D

By the numbers:
  • P&R Operating Expense: $2,283M, up 6.1%
  • P&R Selling, General, Administrative, and Other: $435M, up 6.6%
  • P&R Depreciation: $387M, up 5.7%
Disney also reported a domestic theme park attendance increase of 7% and a domestic hotel occupancy increase of 8%, the primary driving forces behind a P&R revenue increase of 8.7%.

Disney's domestic P&R operations had a fantastic quarter; revenue was up 10.6%. It's Disney's international P&R operations that are sucking wind right now.
You're not going to get Disney to explicitly say that the costs of one thing affects the other. This forum had this argument regarding the DCA re-do. There were many who were adamant that it would have no effect on budgets at WDW, those people were clearly wrong.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You don't hear much about Disney's Vero Beach Resort, except perhaps in DVC forums. We spent a night there, a VERY frigid late fall night, prior to driving to Port Canaveral.

It was Angie's first visit there. It was my first visit since the late 90s and my first stay since the summer of '96 ... I still remember the DVC rep having breakfast with me on my last morning (I actually stayed on a special package for three days and two nights because in those days Disney offered those to showcase the product much like companies like Hilton do to this day!) putting her hand on my leg under the table. Yep, I miss those old sales days.

The interesting thing about Vero Beach or Disney's resort there isn't the beach, which actually is pretty lousy by Space Coast standards. No, it's the quality of the experience ... from CMs to food to theme to upkeep, the resort reminded me of how WDW's resorts USED to be run.

Now, there are some things that need serious upgrading. The resort hasn't ever had a hard goods (that's top to bottom) renovation in its almost two decades of existence. You wouldn't know that by looking at the resort. Again,it is being maintained. It isn't the Beach Club or the Villas there. But the bathrooms look like 1995. And beyond the removal of comforters for the now standard in the industry of basic whites with a runner and lots of pillows, the rooms look like very little has changed. Having TINY (19 inch?) flat screens stuck into the original cabinets just aren't acceptable in 2014-15.

But a hard goods redo is scheduled for next year, so that will change.

The food and drinks were wonderful. And the prices are noticeably more reasonable than WDW locales. They even have character breakfasts on weekends that are not gouges.

Not much more to say beyond the fact that Vero is a wonderful place to visit if you just want to escape to a very quiet, classy, well-run resort for a long weekend or even a week IF you are going to do other beaches in the area or possibly take a day trip to Cape Canaveral and or Palm Beach. But there isn't very much to do there at all, which is part of its charm.

I live in Florida and should be slapped for asking this (my excuse, I live in NORTH Florida), but how long is the drive from the Vero Beach property to Port Canaveral? We're taking the DVC member cruise in August and will drive down Sunday and spend the night before driving over to the Port. However, I would much rather stay at VBR on my points than chance picking an iffy hotel near the Port.

Thanks. Always enjoy your posts.

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm not a big Marvel guy, but I really enjoyed Captain America. Patriotism, old style mystery, and a superhero that had the heart of a true hero before he had special powers. Call me old fashioned, but I like that sense of honor and without all the cynicism and snarkiness. I think Dapper Day sounds great. If I'm ever in the area during that, I'll go. But not in costume. I'm not that cool. ;)

71jason

So, Spring Break is headed toward the finish with Easter Sunday coming up (no, I won't talk about how special the WDW Easter Parade used to be and how it was just another victim of putting money before show because y'all know that, even those folks here who just live to defend the company) and where are all the breathless phased closing threads? ... Hmm ... crickets, I hear.

Anecdotally, this week was not bad until Wednesday, has been very busy since (especially yesterday and this morning). But signs have been in place for phased closings all week, have not been used. I'll be surprised if MK doesn't at least go Phase 1 today and tomorrow.

From what I hear, even Universal hasn't felt the need to use switchbacks in Diagon.

A lot of it just how the calendar falls. Talking with northern friends, some kids got a March break rather than full week at Easter (although not true of all of them). Also, I imagine snow days cut short quite a few Spring Breaks, as schools try to make up days.

BrerJon

I'm not a big Marvel guy, but I really enjoyed Captain America. Patriotism, old style mystery, and a superhero that had the heart of a true hero before he had special powers. Call me old fashioned, but I like that sense of honor and without all the cynicism and snarkiness. I think Dapper Day sounds great. If I'm ever in the area during that, I'll go. But not in costume. I'm not that cool. ;)

Dapper Day does feel like you've landed in the middle of Agent Carter, that's for sure.

Cesar R M

Isn't that why they have a rule banning adult guests from going to the parks dressed as a character? They don't want other guests thinking those people are a tally working for the company. I'm not sure this is exactly the same thing though.
I still wonder why people would get angry at people with cosplays or suits.
Villains and halloween events always has people dressed up.

The CM tag is the important thing to distinguish one from another.
who cares if someone wants to take a photo of someone in a suit-cosplay.

This is of course, completely different than going there and flaunt to be a CM even if they arent.

The Empress Lilly

OK, what have you done with the real Empress Lilly? Pretty harsh for a certified pixie duster. ;)
I love being mistaken for a pixie duster! =D

No, I have little love for the creative direction of current WDW. I do however often disagree Iger is the cause. My WDW - EPCOT, River Country, Adult MK, The Empress Lilly - was replaced for inferior product well before Iger.

The Empress Lilly

I see your circa 1972 attractive, well dressed and not morbidly obese middle-class family at Walt Disney World, and I raise you a circa 2015 attractive young couple at Dapper Day at Disneyland onboard the Steamship Mark Twain in Frontierland. (With two hundred well-dressed young hipsters on the dock waiting to board.)

And for those who aren't familiar with legit Walt-era history, the Steamship Mark Twain was a 1955 opening day Disneyland attraction, and Walt and Lillian Disney celebrated their 30th Wedding Anniversary on this boat on July 13th, 1955, five days before Disneyland opened to the public. This romantic Disneyland couple circa 2015 aren't too far removed from Walt and Lillian circa 1955.

9557140.0.jpg

Just when the sloth and laziness and http://www.peopleofwalmart.com of the depressing 21st century was about to send me over the edge during the 2000's, those darn kids from Southern California turned it all around and invented Dapper Days at Disneyland in the 2010's... Dressing up in jackets and ties and hats and gloves and shoes and hairdo's and then going to Disneyland USA as Walt himself intended.

I even hear that Dapper Days has finally jumped the continent and now happens out at Walt Disney World, although in a much smaller and more limited fashion than it does in California. Will wonders ever cease?!?

The kids are alright. At least in Southern California. :cool:
I love this! A Disney Parks experience that does not consist of 450 pounders gnawing their way through $45 dollar of snacks to get their money's worth for their DDP as they wait 240 minutes for a kid in Elsa dress to uplift them for three minutes from their miserable lives by telling them that they are special and that she'd love to get a picture taken together (she'd call the cops on them if these people would dare address her in the street).

No, Walt and Lillian were right - the essential Disney experience is dressing up real nicely to board a paddleboat replica. The height of Disney elegance. No wonder Lilly loved the finest, most sophisticated ship in WDW to be named after her. I'm sure she thought back to her celebrating her marriage with Walt when she Christened the Empress Lilly.

VJ

I'm a Walt guy too. I think much of the debate that takes place here comes down to the fundamental difference between people who are fans of Walt Disney and people who are fans of Disney®. If your view of Disney isn't rooted in Walt than Disney will never be anything more than a brand or business to you.
Exactly!

lazyboy97o

I love being mistaken for a pixie duster! =D

No, I have little love for the creative direction of current WDW. I do however often disagree Iger is the cause. My WDW - EPCOT, River Country, Adult MK, The Empress Lilly - was replaced for inferior product well before Iger.
Iger may not be the original cause, but he does trust the strategic planning boys who were instrumental in a lot of those and similar decisions.

alphac2005

Please, stop lying. EPCOT Center was never regularly open until 11 or midnight.

It has always closed at 9 p.m. and WS has always not opened until 11 a.m. ... since 10/1/82.

Get your facts straight or don't post here!:D:devilish:;)

Actually, EPCOT had many periods in the 80s, early 90s that they were open until 9:30 p.m. or 10 p.m., so he's sorta right, just too far out with the hours. I've run across old park schedules when cleaning out some junk awhile back and noticed it during many time periods.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom