A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Probably because it's irrelivant everywhere else.

While focusing on the every move of any/all Lifestylers make would be an awful waste of life, looking at how and why Disney treats these people as special (many are in other ways) and uses them as de facto BRAND advocates who basically disclose their free stuff by saying things like ''We were provided everything for free by Disney, even though you'd have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars, but that has nothing to do with the fact we found everything to be MAGICal and would ;););) gladly spend our own money.'' IS a topic worth discussing.

I believe there is 10-plus page thread on this very subject on WDW General and, no, I haven't posted a thing in it!

BrianLo

C'mon, you really think you (or anyone) can make an intelligent and reasoned explanation for why no pics have been released?

Again, I know this is part of the "larger issue", but I feel like the bigger picture is being missed by focusing on... literally just a maybe missing picture.

Why not focus on the missing 800 million dollars instead?

If there is no picture of Iger in front of a completed SDL, then sure, I'll raise my brow. But he'll be there plastered on the media circuit, just like always.

110408-disney-china-2.jpg

Cesar R M

Looking at the latest progress with Harry Potter land at Universal Studios Hollywood, you can tell who is clearly committed to building attractions while WDW is dragging their feet on a new attraction "couch cough" Avatar Land. And they said that the land is a year away from being done, I think they can get it done by the holidays.
I dunno, they were building the steel pretty fast.
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0019.JPG

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a little thought and speculation about the Shanghai resort. Disney should have a banner year this year with two of the biggest movies in Hollywood opening this year. Resorts will continue to increase across the board and TV will still have the huge bloated margins.

2016 though, with no Frozen, Avengers or Star Wars, ever think moving the Shanghai resort back to 2016 could have been a strategic move designed to bloat the P&R numbers as a way to impress quarterly reports? If you couple Shanghai with Frozen at Epcot and whatever else upcoming elsewhere, you could have a spectacular year from a number crunching perspective.

Hahahahha ... yes, if you are looking to make up reasons that contradict the truth, then, yes, Disney absolutely delayed SDL to get a bump in 2016.:D

Cesar R M

And again, that surely seems to be a key difference between The Weatherman and the guy he replaced.

Plaques are well and good. And China has a huge (in numbers, not percentage of people) middle class. But it is also a vast nation. The Disney Channel and films are how you introduce your BRAND to people and get them to understand, appreciate and, hopefully, love it. Assuming SDL attracts 12 million next year (my prediction right now and you can be sure those numbers will be played with beyond all belief), how much of China is learning what Disney is? Not what a Disney theme park is so much as what everything from Mickey Mouse to Cinderella to Buzz Lightyear to Olaf is ...

No, it's not the right way to enter China. But Bob had to show up Michael, so he closed on a bad deal.
maybe thats a better way for Shendy?
Aka build Shangai Disneyland, with little disney penetration.. see how the park behaves in 12 mil crowds.. start bombardment of Disney channel.. expand parks when the onslaught behinds.

having 1,000 millions of people interested in Disney makes you wonder about overrun.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Again, I know this is part of the "larger issue", but I feel like the bigger picture is being missed by focusing on... literally just a maybe missing picture.

Why not focus on the missing 800 million dollars instead?

If there is no picture of Iger in front of a completed SDL, then sure, I'll raise my brow. But he'll be there plastered on the media circuit, just like always.

110408-disney-china-2.jpg

It isn't the picture, Brian.

It's what it represents.

Of course, he'll be seen prominently in opening day photos (unless he gets hit by a monorail between now and then!) That should go without saying.

As to the $800 million, what more can be said about it? Iger announced what it would be used for 11 months ago. So far, none of that money can be seen to be going to expand the capacity of the park and add attractions. I could call Bob's office (or you could) and ask the question to an assistant who will promptly hang up on you in a very unMAGICal fashion. But we aren't getting an answer to that. As a stockholder, that is a concern.

WDW1974

Original Poster
maybe thats a better way for Shendy?
Aka build Shangai Disneyland, with little disney penetration.. see how the park behaves in 12 mil crowds.. start bombardment of Disney channel.. expand parks when the onslaught behinds.

having 1,000 millions of people interested in Disney makes you wonder about overrun.

That would be true IF Shendi (aka the government) had interest in having a Disney Channel. Disney has been trying since the 1990s to get one over there ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why is this always the cop out answer when someone disagrees?

Yes, instead of exercising their right to express an opinion, just silence and/or dismiss them from the thread instead.

Everyone can express an opinion. I think our moderators do a darn good job of making sure of that.
The only people I'd like to see off the thread would be people that accuse me or simply insinuate I am guilty of being an accomplice to crimes against children. THAT is where I do draw a very strong line.

I got ripped by some here for going to CNN with concerns over two years ago that were barely addressed in an hour-long special last spring about theme park workers in O-Town. But since Steve requested no talk of the subject here, I'm going to respect that ...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
While focusing on the every move of any/all Lifestylers make would be an awful waste of life, looking at how and why Disney treats these people as special (many are in other ways) and uses them as de facto BRAND advocates who basically disclose their free stuff by saying things like ''We were provided everything for free by Disney, even though you'd have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars, but that has nothing to do with the fact we found everything to be MAGICal and would ;););) gladly spend our own money.'' IS a topic worth discussing.

I believe there is 10-plus page thread on this very subject on WDW General and, no, I haven't posted a thing in it!
The NFL, NCAA, political parties, country clubs, religions, and any number of other institutions have been doing it for who knows how long. Brand advocates are brand advocates. Even the Spirited threads have brand advocates. I don't think its a good thing or a bad thing. It's a thing. Discussing it, ok. Passing judgement, I will leave that to those who give a carp.

I'm just wondering why no one ever talks about churros in your threads. That's the real travesty.

WDW1974

Original Poster
SIAP, but an interesting article on how other studios should basically give up trying to compete with Disney in the blockbuster/tentpole arena, since Disney can pretty easily drop two "sure things" per quarter between Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Disney Animation, and the now viable Live Action Remake.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...-disney-but-they-can-win-if-they-stop-trying/

My question (and I've asked it before) is what happens when fatigue sets in? These films are cyclical and VERY pricey to create.

Are people going to want to see Thor 7: *(^&, I dropped the hammer on my foot!!! or Jar Jar Binks Goes to College on Endor or Cars 15: Lightning Goes to Hollywood and Gets Rearended or The Amazing, Awesome and Incredible Spiderman 26: We're rebooting and doing an origin story again?

I just don't see it.

And what else will Disney have? Nothing. Because Iger has made the Studio into a nothing but tentpole deal.

I have no doubt Disney will be doing great with that for the next 2-4 years ... beyond, it gets as hazy as a typical day in Shanghai.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Random tidbit: I just came back from a long weekend in WDW and I rode the MAGICal Express back to MCO (it's actually convenient and - best of all - free). During the ride Jennifer Fickley-Baker popped up on the TV screens and all I could think of was, "Dr. Blondie!!" as I laughed for a good few seconds.

So, they replaced Gary Buchanan with that thing (nicest word I could come up with)?

PhotoDave219

The NFL, NCAA, political parties, country clubs, religions, and any number of other institutions have been doing it for who knows how long. Brand advocates are brand advocates. Even the Spirited threads have brand advocates. I don't think its a good thing or a bad thing. It's a thing. Discussing it, ok. Passing judgement, I will leave that to those who give a carp.

I'm just wondering why no one ever talks about churros in your threads. That's the real travesty.

Because Churros are just nasty.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Agreed on all points. I do give a carp ... to some degree. It depends on how my day is going, really. But I do believe they actually do a great disservice to those folks who take their words as gospel and just aren't as knowing as we are. I wouldn't want to be a newbie visitor to WDW who depends on any of them. You can get better info from message boards like the ones here.

Talk ... I loves the churros, especially when served by Mark in Frontierland, who gave Angie and myself a bag full of freebies after he heard of our very bad experience at BoG in 2013.

But you haven't lived until you've had them at TDR. Like just about everything else, they are much better there and come in multiple flavors depending on locale (and some are shaped like Mickey!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom