A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So you don't find it the least bit odd that none of the current executive team has a publicity photo anywhere at all to be found of them at the site, while the former CEO of the company does?

Makes one wonder as a final FOXTROT-UNIFORM to TWDC Shendi Shanghai appoints MDE to run SDL..., Unlikely yes but by no means impossible. And TWDC would just have to suck it up as in China when the CCP makes a decision you stand at attention and salute.

Katie G

Long time listener, first time caller here.

Admittedly I am a huge SW fan, so I will be in line to open DHS (or whatever it's going to be called by then), as soon as any SW expansion is added to the park. Whatever it may be. And I guess I agree with the "SW is all landscapes, not places" argument. However, I do believe that there are specific places you could pull from each planet that could work.

1. Tatooine: Mos Eisley. DUH. Make it a QS. Even have an animatronic band a la Cosmic Ray's. Just you know, better & less Showbiz Pizza. I mean, Chuck E. Cheese.
2. Tatooine: Could also do Pod Racers ride.
3. Hoth: Rebel Base.
4. Endor: Ewok village. Could make this a play area. A relevant Tow Sawyer/Swiss Family area. You could add a speeder ride so no one gets their panties in a bunch about having a child specific area in WDW. (Although I think that last part would be stupid, I think pod racers would be a better attraction & I think the rides would be too similar).
5. Coruscant: Jedi Temple. Move JTA to it. How awesome would it be for the little younglings to have JTA in the temple? Ok, I may have just had a slight fangirl moment there. Forgive.
6. Could City.
7. Dagobah: I agree I'm at a loss here. It's just a swamp. Now, you could do some type of 'Turtle Talk' rip-off with Yoda. And before you all kill me, I'm not saying I would like that.
8. Naboo: The Palace. Although this would be a complete waste of space, because it isn't heavily covered in the films.

some other fun thoughts:

9. Tatooine: Jaba's pleasure yacht or palace
10. The coliseum thing from Episode II
11. A ride around Episode III's fight between Dooku and Obi Wan or saving the Emperor from Dooku's shuttle

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Can I just ask a question?

Who the hell cares?
I said this before, but it's worth repeating. Anyone who cares about Disney as a company and especially Disney P&R should care about the fate of this project. I doubt I'll ever step foot in the park, but if it fails any hope of major development for WDW could be sidetracked for years or even decades. This is Iger's legacy (along with his trifecta of acquisitions). The street is not going to be receptive to future P&R capital projects if this one bombs.

As far as the picture itself, I'm not panicking and thinking its a sure sign of major problems but it does seem rather odd. It's Iger's legacy. You'd think he'd at least want a selfie;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I said this before, but it's worth repeating. Anyone who cares about Disney as a company and especially Disney P&R should care about the fate of this project. I doubt I'll ever step foot in the park, but if it fails any hope of major development for WDW could be sidetracked for years or even decades. This is Iger's legacy (along with his trifecta of acquisitions). The street is not going to be receptive to future P&R capital projects if this one bombs.

As far as the picture itself, I'm not panicking and thinking its a sure sign of major problems but it does seem rather odd. It's Iger's legacy. You'd think he'd at least want a selfie;)

The CCP view Iger as a 'useful idiot' they basically got TWDC to fund THEIR park, As to the 'contract' well in China contracts say what the CCP says they say. Best analogy is Darth Vader on Bespin.

Remember MDE was offered the SAME deal and he turned it down FLAT simply because under the terms of the deal China's CCP basically has full control and TWDC has none.

Note google the term 'useful idiot' it has a very specific meaning.

CaptainAmerica

The street is not going to be receptive to future P&R capital projects if this one bombs.
I doubt "the street" is going to extrapolate any conclusions from the success or failure of a Shanghai project and apply them to Orlando or any of the domestic operations. Shanghai, cruise ships, and NGE are all unique animals that need to be evaluated on their own merits but don't carry much predictive power in terms of "normal" capital expenditures. When it comes to the long-term fate of WDW, it's much more important how Avatar and DCA play out than whatever happens in China.

stlphil

I doubt "the street" is going to extrapolate any conclusions from the success or failure of a Shanghai project and apply them to Orlando or any of the domestic operations. Shanghai, cruise ships, and NGE are all unique animals that need to be evaluated on their own merits but don't carry much predictive power in terms of "normal" capital expenditures. When it comes to the long-term fate of WDW, it's much more important how Avatar and DCA play out than whatever happens in China.
"The street" hates P&R, and all they need is an excuse to frown on any CapEx at all.

They hate it for two reasons :
They don't "get it ", see it as less sexy than other parts of the company.
And more importantly, margins are relatively low.

CaptainAmerica

"The street" hates P&R, and all they need is an excuse to frown on any CapEx at all.

They hate it for two reasons :
They don't "get it ", see it as less sexy than other parts of the company.
And more importantly, margins are relatively low.
Agree to disagree. The street loves growth and recent growth has come from two places (primarily) in both Revenue and OI: Domestic Parks and ESPN. As ESPN faces rising pressures from cord cutters and rights costs, Domestic Parks become even more critical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom