A Spirited Perfect Ten

doctornick

unless they build Tatooine in DHS and Endoor at AK ? lol!!

I think a better option is building Tatooine and then a second planet (could be Endor or Hoth or something in the new trilogy) both in DHS but on opposite sides of the park. Then have a Hogwarts Express type ride connect them. Not only do you get the benefit of separated themed areas to keep them distinct, but you also get some in park transport that would benefit DHS.

Cesar R M

I am going to quote all of these at once instead of repeating myself. Star Wars features a lot of named locations, but it is almost completely without places. Without fail there is only ever one location that repeatedly and consistently comes up as a "must build," the Mos Eisley Cantina. Not even Mos Eisley itself, just this one bar that people think is some fun place because of the upbeat music being played in the one scene that takes place there despite it being described as a very nasty, not fun place. But there is nothing special about the Cantina. It is a bunch of sand colored blank walls. The only unique "theming" element would be the contraption behind the bar. There is NOTHING about the Cantina as a built space that is interesting. What is interesting is the characters that inhabit the space.

The locations presented in Star Wars are also a lot of landscapes, not city scapes. Even Coruscant is treated more as landscape than built space, a very literal treatment of the term "concrete jungle." This is what makes them different from other jumps in place like at World Showcase. Lands are constructed around built space, not expansive landscapes that require flying to effectively get around. You're never going to get that endless, expansive feeling within a walkable place when it is without constructed spaces that shape and control the experience. Star Wars' universe is very open ended and expansive, the direct opposite of the tight, controlled theme park experience.

Unless there is a compelling themed entertainment-based reason for doing so (a reasoning wholly rejected by current leadership), then I would say no to more Star Wars.
The importance of the Cantina is not exactly what it is.. but what happened there.
The musicians and the action that happened there.. made the entire thing..
from the entrance of Obi Wan to the "han shot first" section.. is what made that simple "concrete jungle" so special.

Other interesting locations of that area, is of course... the home of the skywalkers, the big transport "truck" of the droid scavengers.

Dude, Give me one reason why Dagobah and or Endor wouldn't have fit instead of the coveted giant cat smurfs...
giant cat smurfs...
zufLMZS.gif

So because there is a nature theme it belongs at DAK and some majestic natural environments that the star wars universe has isn't? And Dinorama fits how? Please, Im really wanting to know how theme and flow totally matter until they don't. World showcase theme is going down the porcelain throne, why not DAK too?
so, your suggestion is.. if disney is going down in thematic occurrence... they should do it in style and in an epic way?

Cesar R M

PUSH was popular for years, and people liked Lucky when he was around, so it's not unheard of.
but push is just a trashcan with cam, speaker and some wheels.
hardly related to the supposed super advanced life-like animatronics they were testing for AVATAR.

Dinorama is the parking lot to the Dino Institute. The "Chester and Heaster Dinorama" is a spoof on the technical nature of the institute next door. It may not be the best looking, but there is a pretty lengthy story behind it.

As for Star Wars, I can't possibly see how that fits anywhere into what DAK represents. The nature aspects of Star Wars are never expanded upon. Not saying Avatar is the best fit for DAK, but when compared to Star Wars, it wins.

Just because one place is being ruined doesn't mean the park with the most cohesive theme out of all WDW parks should be ruined.
Endoor, The Ewoks, the tree houses and the shield battery base along with the bikes and the death star.

Cesar R M

It's only impossible till someone DOES it!
Agree.
Those who dont try just get stuck in the past.

But in the fantasy space universe, the moon of Endor is really close to Pandora. And can't you just see Ewoks and Na'vi having a great nighttime dance party? Throw in Stitch and Buzzlightyear for good measure.

Oh, what the hell. Get Wall.E in there too.

PFF HAHA you guys are killing me! :hilarious::hilarious:

Not related to animals or the earth, or conservation.
Same reason, in my not so humble opinion, Avatar doesn't fit. I don't buy the "it's about nature and conservation, just on another planet" argument.
and nothing speaks of conservation like Disney racing and destroying all the living things in the area that will evolve into AVATAR. :hilarious:

MommaMindy

The only problem is if you cram all in, it's bound to overlap in a distracting way. I'd love more star wars but if they just do A really really convincing tatooine, I'd be ok. It would have to match or best Diagon though. I just don't think disney is going to try that hard.

Agreed. I wouldn't want to see all of it either, I was just throwing out a list of possibilities.

If Star Wars has places then why is the word in scare quotes? There being locations and activities associated with those locations is not the issue. You started off the list right away with the Cantina and jump right to an activity, not the built space itself.

As a fan, I would love to just walk around SW themed areas; and for me sitting down into an amazing Cantina that looks right out of the movie to eat a QS lunch would be enough. But we have to cater to non-fans too. And that means the mom who has never seen SW in her life, but her 3 year old thinks the animatronic, woodwind playing, aliens are hilarious & it keeps him busy during lunch so that she can eat with both hands for once (parents will understand this) & post a cute picture of said aliens and little Aiden dancing on Instagram with an overuse of hashtags.

Cesar R M

Long time listener, first time caller here.

Admittedly I am a huge SW fan, so I will be in line to open DHS (or whatever it's going to be called by then), as soon as any SW expansion is added to the park. Whatever it may be. And I guess I agree with the "SW is all landscapes, not places" argument. However, I do believe that there are specific places you could pull from each planet that could work.

1. Tatooine: Mos Eisley. DUH. Make it a QS. Even have an animatronic band a la Cosmic Ray's. Just you know, better & less Showbiz Pizza. I mean, Chuck E. Cheese.
2. Tatooine: Could also do Pod Racers ride.
3. Hoth: Rebel Base.
4. Endor: Ewok village. Could make this a play area. A relevant Tow Sawyer/Swiss Family area. You could add a speeder ride so no one gets their panties in a bunch about having a child specific area in WDW. (Although I think that last part would be stupid, I think pod racers would be a better attraction & I think the rides would be too similar).
5. Coruscant: Jedi Temple. Move JTA to it. How awesome would it be for the little younglings to have JTA in the temple? Ok, I may have just had a slight fangirl moment there. Forgive.
6. Could City.
7. Dagobah: I agree I'm at a loss here. It's just a swamp. Now, you could do some type of 'Turtle Talk' rip-off with Yoda. And before you all kill me, I'm not saying I would like that.
8. Naboo: The Palace. Although this would be a complete waste of space, because it isn't heavily covered in the films.

I know that 7 & 8 are complete trash, I just added them to the list for kicks & giggles. Do I know exactly what type of attraction could be in each location? Nope. But I've obviously done enough armchair imagineering for the night. Plus, it's all probably moot, because aren't they planning on using stuff from the new films?? I do believe that SW certainly has enough "places" to be able to pull off a fantastic area. And I don't see a problem with transition, for reasons that other have stated, but I don't feel like quoting.
If we;'re lucky, I bet we will get the cloud city as a themed bathroom (just like the infamous Tangled pooties)

NeXuS1000

I am going to quote all of these at once instead of repeating myself. Star Wars features a lot of named locations, but it is almost completely without places. Without fail there is only ever one location that repeatedly and consistently comes up as a "must build," the Mos Eisley Cantina. Not even Mos Eisley itself, just this one bar that people think is some fun place because of the upbeat music being played in the one scene that takes place there despite it being described as a very nasty, not fun place. But there is nothing special about the Cantina. It is a bunch of sand colored blank walls. The only unique "theming" element would be the contraption behind the bar. There is NOTHING about the Cantina as a built space that is interesting. What is interesting is the characters that inhabit the space.

There's plenty of great places. Some inside ones; the Jedi Academy, the rebel base on Hoth, the Millenium Falcon, the Death Star, a Star Destroyer, Mos Eisley Cantina , a Sandcrawler, and if you want to bring in Episode I-III, I can easily give you a handful more. And a planet in itself, when it comes to Star Wars, is also a great place because they're so identifiable. The planets are the settings, and they can be themed with great props and effects to really take you there.

Personally, for an original trilogy setting, I think Tatooine would do great. Setting up the environment, e.g. Luke's home, Obi-Wan's hut, meeting Java's, seeing a Sandcrawler, and then having Mos Eisley. Remember that Mos Eisley is the spaceport, not the cantina (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mos_Eisley), where you could find the cantina, the docking station for the Millenium Falcon, etc.

This would be an awesome place to visit and very Star Wars-ish:

Mos_Eisley_spaceship.png

RSoxNo1

Yep. Second only to Frozen in Norway.:banghead:
The other two, along with Stitch, round out my top five...I think.
I think Stitch and Buzz have to be in the discussion. Soarin' and Splash Mountain are in the discussion but probably not as weird fitting as Avatar. Those two don't get the hit though because of their popularity.

lazyboy97o

I think Stitch and Buzz have to be in the discussion. Soarin' and Splash Mountain are in the discussion but probably not as weird fitting as Avatar. Those two don't get the hit though because of their popularity.
A ride is also of a much smaller magnitude than a land.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If Star Wars has places then why is the word in scare quotes? There being locations and activities associated with those locations is not the issue. You started off the list right away with the Cantina and jump right to an activity, not the built space itself.
I see things a little differently. Why does everything have to be Harry Potter Land? There is no need to make a Star Wars Land as an exact replica of one of the movie sets. The land can be loosely based on Tatooine which would include the Cantina, but should also have some full size replicas of ships or vehicles. To me the ships are what makes Star Wars. If they have an X wing, and the falcon that would go a long way. They could also build replicas of the sand crawler or Jabbas sail barge. For me that stuff would be more interesting than just replicating a planet or a town from one of the movies. It wasn't until very recently that we expected theme park lands and rides to strictly follow the plots of movies.

Possibly the coolest part of Star Tours is that walker outside the building. The ride itself doesn't follow the plot of any movie which I think is the way to go for any new ride too. Create a story for the ride based on SW. They have to be careful not to make the ride too similar to Star Tours and I would hope it focused more on physical sets. No coaster. They need a ride that can slow down to allow you to take in show scenes.

DisDan

Maybe we could see Rock-N-Roller Coaster re-themed to Star Wars. The fact that its a Dark Coaster opens up so many possibilities for Star Wars. Also they could re-theme that end of the park a little and do more with the RNR building itself outside and queue area. Bring the SW experience to opposite ends of the park.

jakeman

This is an outrage

If you go back to the News and Rumors category page and hover over your avatar in front of the Title of this thread it will tell you how many posts you have in this thread (if that's any help). Not sure why it would be appearing on your posts now though.

That sounds like it is the new feature where the number of alerts you have appears in the browser tab.

It's kind of hard to know without seeing what you are seeing. Somebody compromising WDWMagic for public information and also not fixing the issues is a bit more out there in terms of plausibility.

This has been a recent development on here. It looks like Steve updated the "flavicon" so that it shows how many pending alerts you have. I know this number changes in my bookmarks, that's likely what you're seeing. @wdwmagic, when did that change go into place? I think I noticed it sometime in February.
Interesting. In the above messages @WDW1974 has been quoted regarding the issues he had with his browser and the assumption that he was being tracked. The referenced quotes have all been either deleted or edited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom