A Spirited Perfect Ten

the.dreamfinder

What that article fails to mention is that 70mm IMAX's native resolution(digital equivalent) is 16-18K. Those side-by-side 4K laser projectors, the same ones that have been rumored for Soarin' if our overlords were so generous, only cover half that. If you cannot offer a new experience that is of the same level of quality (or higher) than what is the standard, why on earth would you provide guests with an inferior experience? These IMAX conversions are being done because Disney was too cheap to build proper air purification systems for the projection rooms and they let the prints, and the screens, run for too long between cleanings.(I am referring to the Florida version here) This is classic Disney not taking responsibility for its failure to keep up the standards of QUALITY they held themselves to to cut down maintenance budgets. Did I mention that the resolution difference will be even more notable given how close guests are placed in front of the screen?

That said, the IMAX laser projection technology is exciting because it will be a big improvement for the multiplexes with LIEMAX. As the article notes, the color reproduction is much better than exisisting system and the projector can run much brighter, which will be a godsend for 3D movies.

I believe Tony Baxter once raised concerns about overusing flight simulators in the parks because eventually they would get cheap enough that every mall/family fun center would have one. With these IMAX laser systems, we are running into the same issue. Why offer guests an experience that will be at the same standard as their multiplex IMAX/LIEMAX theater when Disney has the capability to offer a superior experience digital won't be able to match for some time.

Last edited:

Smiddimizer

In other news - and If true JL needs to turn in his creative card to the master of arms on the way out.

Toy Story 4 to Be a Romantic Comedy

Toy Story 4” will not take up where the third movie left off, so it won’t look like a traditional sequel, and it will be a romantic comedy, says Pixar President Jim Morris.

“The third movie was over in a beautiful way and completed a trilogy. I think this movie is not part of [that] trilogy," Morris told Disney Latino. "We are putting together a very nice story. It is not a continuation of the end of the story of 'Toy Story 3.' Temporarily it is, but it will be a love story. It will be a romantic comedy. It will not make much focus on the interaction between the characters and children. I think it will be a very good movie."

The movie, which won’t be out for two years, was announced last year and at the time, director John Lasseter said also said he was happy about what would be a new direction for "Toy Story."

"'Toy Story 3' ended Woody and Buzz's story with Andy so perfectly that for a long time, we never even talked about doing another 'Toy Story' movie," Lasseter said in a statement. "But when Andrew [Stanton], Pete [Docter], Lee [Unkrich] and I came up with this new idea, I just could not stop thinking about it. It was so exciting to me, I knew we had to make this movie — and I wanted to direct it myself."

My comment --- :hungover::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::hungover: How to shamelessly prostitute an IP so you can sell something else.

I say bring it. TS3 was the weaker of the three, and as much as people go on about how perfect the ending was (which is true...though the incinerator bit/Lotso twist was just over-the-top), it's kind of a no-brainer...I'm not inclined to doubt the fab four that they do indeed have an exciting idea in mind.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How much tin foil do you purchase on a weekly basis?

Not everything is a damn conspiracy.

Project much?, I recommend having your doctor check your medications, YOU are the one bringing up 'conspiracy'

It's a totally tone deaf ad more appropriate to a financial company (of the boiler room variety) than a media corporation both of which are licenses to print money legally.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What that article fails to mention is that 70mm IMAX's native resolution(digital equivalent) is 16-18K. Those side-by-side 4K laser projectors, the same ones that have been rumored for Soarin' if our overlords were so generous, only cover quarter of that. If you cannot offer a new experience that is of the same level of quality (or higher) than what is the standard, why on earth would you provide guests with an inferior experience? These IMAX conversions are being done because Disney was too cheap to build proper air purification systems for the projection rooms and they let the prints, and the screens, run for too long between cleanings.(I am referring to the Florida version here) This is classic Disney not taking responsibility for its failure to keep up the standards of QUALITY they held themselves to to cut down maintenance budgets. Did I mention that the resolution difference will be even more notable given how close guests are placed in front of the screen?

That said, the IMAX laser projection technology is exciting because it will be a big improvement for the multiplexes with LIEMAX. As the article notes, the color reproduction is much better than exisisting system and the projector can run much brighter, which will be a godsend for 3D movies.

I believe Tony Baxter once raised concerns about overusing flight simulators in the parks because eventually they would get cheap enough that every mall/family fun center would have one. With these IMAX laser systems, we are running into the same issue. Why offer guests an experience that will be at the same standard as their multiplex IMAX/LIEMAX theater when Disney has the capability to offer a superior experience digital won't be able to match for some time.

Don't forget a network infrastructure which can actually deliver enough bits to the projector to prevent pixellation.

Cesar R M

You guys do realize the ad is for ESPN careers, right? The multi-billion dollar industry they reference is sports media...

You can tell who actually clicked through to the link.
good thing I saved this image.

thepoint_you.jpg

by the way, the thumbnail clearly shows SPORTS CENTER :>
anyone can 1+1=2.

BrerJon

Triceratops is big enough for a SDMT-esque coaster. I'd love to see Amber Mines and aquatic dinos! Plus, AA dinos and M&Gs throughout the island.

Urgh please no more mine train rides! Enough already! I like the amber mine in Camp Jurassic much better, as I feel that kind of thing lends itself to exploration rather than sticking a kiddie coaster in the middle of it.

Yes to the AA's and M&Gs though - I do wish they'd do a dinosaur feeding-time 'something goes wrong' show, though, I think that could be fun. Maybe one on the waterfront, a la the Jurassic Sea World scene.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is your next foray into the obvious going to be water is wet?. Does it read like an ad for a News organization - NO, Does it read like a recruiting poster for a Brokerage - Yes

Does it neatly sum up Disney's priorities i.e. to make money at all costs, Industry leadership in any sector be d-amned as long as the as the 'Street is happy.
Do you really consider ESPN a news organization? It's at best a 50/50 mix of entertainment with news. IMHO it's more like 70/30 entertainment. Sports Center is not news. Hasn't been for years. Maybe ever. They do have some fine sports reporters working for them now who will break stories pretty frequently. Usually on Twitter. These were mostly newspaper guys. You know how they got them? They offered stability, large pay checks and a chance to work for the industry leader in a multi-billion dollar industry.

They also need to hire the behind the scenes people. They are again looking for stability, good pay and a chance to be a part of something big. IMHO the mention of multi-billion dollar and industry leader is directed at a lot of people working for smaller, struggling newspapers, local TV networks or radio stations. It has nothing to do with Brokerage houses or Wall Street.

Tigger1988

Do you really consider ESPN a news organization? It's at best a 50/50 mix of entertainment with news. IMHO it's more like 70/30 entertainment. Sports Center is not news. Hasn't been for years. Maybe ever. They do have some fine sports reporters working for them now who will break stories pretty frequently. Usually on Twitter. These were mostly newspaper guys. You know how they got them? They offered stability, large pay checks and a chance to work for the industry leader in a multi-billion dollar industry.

They also need to hire the behind the scenes people. They are again looking for stability, good pay and a chance to be a part of something big. IMHO the mention of multi-billion dollar and industry leader is directed at a lot of people working for smaller, struggling newspapers, local TV networks or radio stations. It has nothing to do with Brokerage houses or Wall Street.
Be gone with your common sense and logic.

That tweet was obviously a mistake and now ESPN's evil money seeking ways have been REVEALED!! /sarcasm

AndyMagic

The only confirmed attraction is Kong.

And even that confirmation was more of a slip-up than anything else. They're more interested in building than making early press releases about rides that won't open for a decade. The Parks and Resorts division at Uni has the full support of the Vice President of Comcast and the President of NBCUniversal and they're blatantly being told to continue expanding. The reason you see so many different projects rumored at Universal is because things are happening quickly and the time window between final approval and the shovel in the ground has become unfathomably narrow. It reminds me of Splash Mountain's sudden approval during the early years of Eisner. Universal Creative has a bunch of ride concepts that they've dusted off and management gets to point and say, "that one!" It's an exciting time that I think all theme park lovers should relish. It doesn't come around often.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
good thing I saved this image.

View attachment 85857
by the way, the thumbnail clearly shows SPORTS CENTER :>
anyone can 1+1=2.

D--n @Cesar R M that's funny and to the 'POINT' as well. I've saved that in the permanent collection!

Reposessing Cars is also a multi billion dollar industry, If I had been writing that ad "Be a part of the most successful Team in sports news". Then I would have mentioned the financials.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Reposessing Cars is also a multi billion dollar industry, If I had been writing that ad "Be a part of the most successful Team in sports news". Then I would have mentioned the financials.
Isn't that exactly what they did?

The add reads:
Leading the way
For a multi-billion dollar industry?
Every time you come to work.​
Isn't "leading the way" pretty much the same thing as "be a part of the most successful team"?

I'm just not seeing how this add is in any way a big deal. That's just me, and we can agree to disagree. Carry on.

Tigger1988

Isn't that exactly what they did?

The add reads:
Leading the way
For a multi-billion dollar industry?
Every time you come to work.​
Isn't "leading the way" pretty much the same thing as "be a part of the most successful team"?

I'm just not seeing how this add is in any way a big deal. That's just me, and we can agree to disagree. Carry on.
LazyBoy already laid out how the ad is actually about leadership and Ford ignored him. Logic has no place here.

Magenta Panther

In other news - and If true JL needs to turn in his creative card to the master of arms on the way out.

Toy Story 4 to Be a Romantic Comedy

Toy Story 4” will not take up where the third movie left off, so it won’t look like a traditional sequel, and it will be a romantic comedy, says Pixar President Jim Morris.

“The third movie was over in a beautiful way and completed a trilogy. I think this movie is not part of [that] trilogy," Morris told Disney Latino. "We are putting together a very nice story. It is not a continuation of the end of the story of 'Toy Story 3.' Temporarily it is, but it will be a love story. It will be a romantic comedy. It will not make much focus on the interaction between the characters and children. I think it will be a very good movie."

The movie, which won’t be out for two years, was announced last year and at the time, director John Lasseter said also said he was happy about what would be a new direction for "Toy Story."

"'Toy Story 3' ended Woody and Buzz's story with Andy so perfectly that for a long time, we never even talked about doing another 'Toy Story' movie," Lasseter said in a statement. "But when Andrew [Stanton], Pete [Docter], Lee [Unkrich] and I came up with this new idea, I just could not stop thinking about it. It was so exciting to me, I knew we had to make this movie — and I wanted to direct it myself."

My comment --- :hungover::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::hungover: How to shamelessly prostitute an IP so you can sell something else.

A romcom, eh? I say Jesse dumps Buzz and hooks up with Woody. Much better fit.

the.dreamfinder

Four dark and gritty reboots later, it appears folks really like Kenneth Branagh's "Cinderella".
https://twitter.com/devincf/status/574297350048362496
http://screencrush.com/cinderella-review/
‘Cinderella’ Review: This Old Fairy Tale Still Has Some Magic
by Matt Singer March 5, 2015 8:22 AM
cinderella-review-pic-630x420.jpg

Walt Disney Pictures
The name “Disney” brings to mind images of fair princesses, charming princes, magical fairy tales, and simple happily ever afters. In recent years, though, Disney has begun rethinking their classic properties, and releasing more thematically complex versions of their famous films. Sleeping Beauty became Maleficent, which turned a wicked witch into a sympathetic anti-hero; a whole mess of fairy tales became Into the Woods, where happily ever after preceded a whole bunch of death and tragedy. The ranks of Disney Princesses grew to include women like Merida, the bow-slinging heroine of Brave, and Anna and Elsa from Frozen, who rescued each other from an prince rather than the other way around. Seemingly every value and concept that Disney had established and reinforced through decades of repetition was up for reconsideration.

That makes Disney’s latest fairy tale, a live-action Cinderella, so surprising. It’s not a revisionist take or a winking, ironic deconstruction; instead, it’s unabashedly old-fashioned in its intense earnestness. It adds a gloss of modern special effects and a couple new wrinkles to the familiar story of the poor, abused servant girl and her magical night at the ball — but not many. Most recent Disney movies look suspiciously at traditional fables and their values. This Cinderella wants viewers to believe in them with every fiber of their being. That sincere, big-hearted belief might not be trendy, but it’s hard to resist.

Aficionados of Disney’s animated Cinderella from 1950 will recognize most of the characters and situations, but this live-action interpretation is nearly 40 minutes longer than the cartoon and spends much of that time deepening its conflicts and motivations. It also adds a significant prologue featuring Ella as a child (Eloise Webb) with her loving parents. Before her mother (Agent Carter’s Hayley Atwell) dies, she makes Ella vow to live her life according to a simple code: “Have courage and be kind.” Years later, after Ella’s grown into a caring, hard-working young woman (and actress Lily James), her father (Ben Chaplin) remarries a widow, the vain Lady Tremaine (Cate Blanchett), who moves into the family’s home with her two obnoxious daughters (Holliday Grainger and Sophie McShera). When Ell’s father dies on a business trip, Lady Tremaine dismisses the house’s staff and forces her stepdaughter to pick up the slack. Eventually the family treats her more like a servant than a loved one.

The beats progress from there as they must, though Chris Weitz’s sharp script takes care to flesh out characters that the earlier version left blank. In the animated Cinderella, the Prince is more of an ideal than a fully fleshed-out human being; he gets just a few minutes of screen time and even fewer lines of dialogue (or, for that matter, an actual name). Played by Game of Thrones’Richard Madden, this Cinderella’s Prince Kit is vastly more developed, torn between his obligations to his kingdom and his family (his father expects him to marry a princess) and his love for Ella, who he meets by chance in the forest for a couple minutes of flirtatious banter before their big encounter at the kingdom’s ball.

Director Kenneth Branagh does infuse the vintage narrative with a few contemporary touches; Ella meets Kit while defending a stag from his hunters, marking her as a sort of animal-rights activist (a logical choice for a character who considers mice her only friends). She’s still a fairly passive character, but Branagh and Weitz come up with a smart way to make that passivity a choice, and a heroic one at that. And Cate Blanchett’s Lady Tremaine, though haughty and cruel, gets enough speeches about her tragic backstory to complicate some of her wicked behavior. Regardless, this is no radical reinvention; this Cinderella is a handsome, classical retelling that starts at once upon a time and ends at happily ever after.

In between, the film belongs to James, who is even more charming than her handsome prince. Her Ella is almost impossibly pure and good; in the wrong hands, the part could have verged on laughable self-parody. But James’ bright smile makes the character’s innocence appealing, and while Ella is still a bit of a pushover she also gets a few moments where she stands up to Lady Tremaine; James nails them all. A PG-rated Disney fairy tale is hardly a place for sexual tension, but she also generates palpable (if totally chaste) chemistry with Madden as well.

I’ve been married for six years to a woman who loves Cinderella. As a result, I have seen almost every single version of the story committed to film (including Hilary Duff’s A Cinderella Story; if my relationship can survive that ordeal, it can survive anything). So I can say with some confidence that 2015’s Cinderella is one of the very best. It’s heartfelt, romantic, and funny — particularly when Helena Bonham Carter arrives to spruce up Ella’s wardrobe as her Fairy Godmother. The costumes and production design are stunning (her dress sparkles!), and Branagh’s direction sports several clever touches. (Note, for example, the way the camera swirls around Kit and Ella whenever they meet, as if some kind of reverse centrifugal force is pulling them together.) Disney’s revisionist movies have been hugely successful with audiences, but most were dark and depressing, and none were as emotionally satisfying as Cinderella. There’s very little hip or new about this movie. Ironically, that’s precisely what makes it feel so refreshing.

Cinderella plays in theaters with a new Frozen short, “Frozen Fever.” The characters are still cute, but the song is no “Let It Go.”

Animaniac93-98

Four dark and gritty reboots later, it appears folks really like Kenneth Branagh's "Cinderella".

It's sitting at 94% on RT at the moment with 18 reviews counted. I've seen others and the the worst anyone can seem to say about it is that it's too straight forward an adaption (and that if you're not big on Cinderella now, this movie won't change that).

I'll take a well made, faithful version of Cinderella any day over a revisionist movie where she teams up with Goldilocks to fight werewolves or some other nonsense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom