A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 So is Staggs REALLY very likely to become the next CEO after Iger? I was under the impression that the board wasn't happy with anyone currently at the company, at least not Iger/Staggs/Rasulo and the other hacks like them? And that it's highly likely the board will look to outside the company next time.

I'm guessing whatever influence Eisner has now, he's probably campaigning for Staggs...

No, I don't think the ... what was he called? Oddly waifish man of anemic personality? Yeah, that sounds right. I don't see him being the next CEO of Disney, no. Highly unlikely.

I think the BoD is happy they have almost 3 1/2 years more of Iger rule and they are going to forget he is stepping down until (likely) early 2017 when they will start pushing their own candidates.

Eisner is, to my knowledge, staying clear of the situation. But he is a fan of Staggs. He always had a blind spot for Strategic Planning guys. That and his handling of animation from the late 90s on are why he isn't running the company today. Of course, Michael being Michael he still thinks he was right about everything.

Well they have to get trees for Canada's lumberjack show from somewhere...

For a company that loves hiding behind the "environmentally friendly" card as an excuse to reduce air conditioning in the parks (which i hadn't imagined was as bad as people made it out to be until a sweltering ride on Little Mermaid last year), Disney sure doesn't seem to have any problem with cutting trees down and multilating them for guests' "entertainment" (LMAO) at Canada. Meanwhile and somewhat ironically, Living with the Land is probably the ride currently in the worst condition at Epcot. Also "synthetic grass" at the new Main Street overhaul at MK... :banghead:

I can't get over the idea they are using astro turf at MK ... pathetic ... just pathetic.

And I've been complaining about them turning up the AC for a good 15 years now. Their thinking is so arrogant and demeaning to Guests: ''They're just dumb tourists. They expect it to be hot in Florida.'' Really.

That reminds me, wonder if it's time for me to bring up my once in two year rant on the fact people let their children (and sometimes themselves) use WDW resort pools as toilets. No, I've never seen pools anywhere else on earth (and I do get around ... just ask some fanbois I know!) close daily (sometimes multiple times) because someone defecated in it. Could it be the ty quality of many of their guests these days?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Little ones get tired from all the walking and can't last all day on their feet. Having a stroller allows families to continue enjoying the day while little ones rest without having to leave the park.

Yeah, that old excuse. What age is appropriate for them to walk their wittle henies off? My first visit, I was seven and my sibling was four and we didn't get pushed around. I've seen girls who are ready for training bras being pushed around WDW.

When is enough, enough? I've been to every Disney resort that exists and nowhere is the laziness (as well as morbid obesity) so prevalent. DLR, naturally, is second. DLP? TDL? HKDL? They don't have to remove planters or merchandise in shops to make room for strollers.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Changing gears ... I got multiple emails last week from DLR asking me to participate in a ''5 minute survey with 3 somewhat unusual questions'' (yes, that is how they introduced it).

What was unusual was that after about 7-8 basic questions about my last visit to DLR and how often I'm there, I was presented with nine questions. Disney wanted me to pick ANY three and answer them giving as much input as I wanted.

Kids, this is what us in the over 30 crowd, used to take in school and they were called 'essay tests' and I usually did very well (unless the prof didn't like me!)

They were:

1.) DLR has too much ...;
2.) Thinking back to your most recent visit, what surprised you in a bad way;
3.) DLR doesn't have enough ...;
4.) What did you bring with you that you wish you didn't bring?;
5.) Thinking back to your most recent visit, what surprised you in a good way?;
6.) DLR is too ...;
7.) What do you wish you had brought with you?;
8.) If DLR really cared about its Guests, it would stop ...;
9.) If DLR really cared about its Guests, it would ...;

I have ideas as to what Disney was trying to get to with this, but I'm curious to hear other opinions, so please offer them ...

Interesting the majority of the questions are negative. I have a feeling these questions weren't sent to annual passholders, if not that many. I hope this isn't leading to any form of MyMagic/FP+ nonsense.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I say you have to give it to him -- a day is only 24 hours long if you stay in one time zone. It's Feb 14 somewhere for 48 hours**

** or so. There are actually some very strange local time zones, usually off in the western pacific that have half hour adjustments, or that are 13 hours off of GMT for part of the year

Clearly, he has an 'in' with someone because the NY Daily News actually did a story on his adventure. Apparently, Disney refused to comment, which is weird because you'd think they'd want to get in on the free publicity wagon.

PhotoDave219

No, I don't think the ... what was he called? Oddly waifish man of anemic personality? Yeah, that sounds right. I don't see him being the next CEO of Disney, no. Highly unlikely.

I think the BoD is happy they have almost 3 1/2 years more of Iger rule and they are going to forget he is stepping down until (likely) early 2017 when they will start pushing their own candidates.

Eisner is, to my knowledge, staying clear of the situation. But he is a fan of Staggs. He always had a blind spot for Strategic Planning guys. That and his handling of animation from the late 90s on are why he isn't running the company today. Of course, Michael being Michael he still thinks he was right about everything.

I can't get over the idea they are using astro turf at MK ... pathetic ... just pathetic.

And I've been complaining about them turning up the AC for a good 15 years now. Their thinking is so arrogant and demeaning to Guests: ''They're just dumb tourists. They expect it to be hot in Florida.'' Really.

That reminds me, wonder if it's time for me to bring up my once in two year rant on the fact people let their children (and sometimes themselves) use WDW resort pools as toilets. No, I've never seen pools anywhere else on earth (and I do get around ... just ask some fanbois I know!) close daily (sometimes multiple times) because someone defecated in it. Could it be the ****ty quality of many of their guests these days?

I can top that.

I think it was the summer of 05, me and a friend got stuck in a downpour outside of COP. One of the worst monsoons Ive ever been in, hurricanes included. We were soaked and just said "screw it, we'll walk".... and there were these two foreign women next to us with 2 kids. They grab the kid spread eagle as if they're going to draw and quarter him and right there - in the middle of tomorrowland - the kid pees. face down, as he is being carried, the rain washed it away instantly but ..... WTH. Most disgusting thing ive ever seen.

2nd most was a kid peeing off the bridge on the hub, post fireworks.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think anything to do with Disney makes it a little more than just a mall. Disney fans and especially the haters are just as passionate as sports fans.

If you want to consider it just a mall I have a pretty large mall near me (King of Prussia Mall). They are doing major construction on the mall and building a larger parking garage. It's a mess. I went for dinner the other night and got trapped in the bad trafic flow. I'm definitely avoiding the place until construction is done. Once it's done I'll be glad to go back and have more parking and additional stores.

It seems really strange to me that people would have lasting resentment over just a mall. If they expand a highway and it causes bad traffic backups would people just avoid that road forever even when the construction wraps up?

It's a Lifestyle center (slightly different from a mall, but not all that much). And there are multiple versions in O-Town with more on the way.

It's why I don't give Disney props for this in the same way I'd do so for park improvements. No one visits WDW to visit DD (except locals). And no one will visit WDW just to visit DS (again, except locals).

It's an additional distraction. An additional way for Disney to take every last cent you have while not having to build any ... you know ... attractions.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Interesting the majority of the questions are negative. I have a feeling these questions weren't sent to annual passholders, if not that many. I hope this isn't leading to any form of MyMagic/FP+ nonsense.

They certainly are not what I expected. But I'd like others to weigh in to see if I'm headed in the right direction.

But it was based on my last visit in May. I may have had an AP for a decade, but haven't bought one since 2007, so I don't think that was part of it.

BUT they did ask what type of tickets my party (just Angie and me) used and APs were listed. FYI, we used a combo of friends walking us in and multi-day tix that we purchased.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can top that.

I think it was the summer of 05, me and a friend got stuck in a downpour outside of COP. One of the worst monsoons Ive ever been in, hurricanes included. We were soaked and just said "screw it, we'll walk".... and there were these two foreign women next to us with 2 kids. They grab the kid spread eagle as if they're going to draw and quarter him and right there - in the middle of tomorrowland - the kid pees. face down, as he is being carried, the rain washed it away instantly but ..... WTH. Most disgusting thing ive ever seen.

2nd most was a kid peeing off the bridge on the hub, post fireworks.

I've seen worse ... and heard much worse from CMs ... isn't part of being an adult having control of your bodily functions and being able to take your brats to a proper place for them to relieve themselves.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks. I really tried to have the best time I could in a week and it worked. Miraculously everything went very smoothly, even getting out of LAX!!!

LAX is woefully aged in places, but I've never got the hate some people have for it. Of course, it was one of my 'local' airports for years last decade. But it has the best fares and most connections. Orange County is almost always more pricey and is constrained by time (neighbors don't like planes overhead while they sleep!). Never found a decent flight to/from Long Beach. And Burbank and Ontario are not at all convenient to LA/OC.

Tony Perkis

LAX is woefully aged in places, but I've never got the hate some people have for it. Of course, it was one of my 'local' airports for years last decade. But it has the best fares and most connections. Orange County is almost always more pricey and is constrained by time (neighbors don't like planes overhead while they sleep!). Never found a decent flight to/from Long Beach. And Burbank and Ontario are not at all convenient to LA/OC.
I live in Dallas/Fort Worth. DFW International Airport gets an extraordinary amount of hate, but how many places manage to do well when the airport caters to that many locations? I respect the hell out of MCO for this reason.

the.dreamfinder

Walt Disney Animation posted a really interesting job listing today.
https://disneyanimation.secure.force.com/openings/ts2mmx__JobDetails?jobId=a0KG000000dY8tJMAS&__utma=124127775.1993614018.1402597183.1423596013.1424224529.126&__utmb=124127775.4.10.1424224529&__utmc=124127775&__utmx=-&__utmz=124127775.1423251242.123.29.utmcsr=linkedin.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmv=-&__utmk=15646137
Job Title: Community Relations Manager
Community Relations Manager
Walt Disney Animation Studios, Moana Production / Communications

Walt Disney Animation Studios presents Moana, a comedy-adventure set 2,000 years ago on a fictional island in Oceania, about a spirited teenager who learns that the future of her people is in jeopardy. Along with a lovable pot belly pig and a legendary hero, Moana searches for a mythical island, traversing the open ocean and encountering mystical sea creatures and underworlds on an action-packed quest to save her world and make her ancestors proud.
Directed by the renowned filmmaking team of Ron Clements and John Musker ("The Little Mermaid," "The Princess and the Frog," "Aladdin"), and produced by Osnat Shurer, this CG-animated adventure sets sail in late 2016.

We strive to honor those who have inspired the film. To this end, we are looking to fill a new role:

Community Relations Manager
Walt Disney Animation Studios, Moana Production / Communications

Job Description:
The CRM will work within Moana production, and report to the film’s producer, with ties into Communications and our Pacific Islands (PI) task force.

Responsibilities:

The CRM will help manage all PI-related activities on the production, including key work with the members of the “Oceania Trust.” As part of the research for the film, the Moana production team is working with a special team called the “Oceania Trust” which is comprised of Pacific Island-based experts in their various, respective fields. The CRM will:
  • Track all Oceania Trust activities, research meetings, etc.
  • Attend all Oceania Trust activities occurring at Disney Animation
  • Help plan/execute all PI trips by production and Trust members’ trips to Burbank
  • Organize research trips for production with CA-based experts on the PI region
  • Support and help execute the giving activities initiated by the task force
  • Responsible for managing all community development initiatives related to the film and Oceania Trust
  • Help to plan, develop and implement programs to promote continued community awareness and engagement
  • Continue to promote authenticity and research
  • Liaise with the head of WDAS Communications on PI-related promotional opportunities involving members of the Trust as well as within the community
Basic Qualifications:
  • Experience in production management, preferably (but not essentially) Animation (min 3 years)
  • Experience working in Communications/PR
  • A diplomatic nature with the ability to communicate clearly.
  • Easygoing and makes friends easily.
Preferred Qualifications:
  • Experience working within community relations, preferably with the Pacific Island community. Field work desired, but not required.
Preferred Education:
  • Undergraduate degree in Communications and/or Community/Government Relations
Reporting:
  • The CRM will report in to the producer of the film, as well as work directly with the head of WDAS Communications.
Duration:
  • Run of show: throughout production, building at release, and continuing through the international rollout of the film (which can last approximately 3-5 months following U.S. release).

Last edited:

CentralFLlife

That reminds me, wonder if it's time for me to bring up my once in two year rant on the fact people let their children (and sometimes themselves) use WDW resort pools as toilets. No, I've never seen pools anywhere else on earth (and I do get around ... just ask some fanbois I know!) close daily (sometimes multiple times) because someone defecated in it. Could it be the ****ty quality of many of their guests these days?

Its not just pools, or common areas as Dave pointed out.

I had just gotten on Kali with friends, full barge except for a family of four with two kids the oldest was maybe 6. As we were waiting in line and we had gotten past the merge point the kid was telling his parents he needed to go to the bathroom which they kept telling him they will go as soon as they get off the ride. Well as we board the kid is now crying he has to pee so bad. As the CM came by to check our belts she was treated to the sight of the parents lifting the child out to let him relieve himself off of the edge of the raft, accompanied with the question "Is it okay if I just hold him there so he can go over the edge and then buckle him back in" Despite saying no several different ways the parents kept repeating the same question even after the ride had stopped due to them not buckling their belts, only to finally give up and take the child to the bathroom...

Absimilliard

The only terminal I have ever flown in at LAX is Terminal 2. Beside the odd split level waiting line for security, I have no issues with it. Food selection is fine, shops are alright and there is plenty of seating. What more do you want? Charge an insane AIF (Airport Improvement Fee) for new and harder than bricks carpets?

MCO is just ok in my view. There is a cruel lack of seats in some areas and the food selection is average and very expensive.

YYZ Terminal 1 is very nice. You have seats with complimentary Ipads where you can browse the internet and order food in the Transborder side. My friends who fly to WDW from France have discovered that using Air Canada to fly to YYZ (Toronto) from CDG (Paris) and then to Orlando is a great way to do it. Plus, the price is usually competitive.

One under rated airport I have discovered in Asia is TPE in Taiwan. Taipei-Taoyuan had good bus links to everywhere on the Island, amazing shop and food selection on the secure side and just a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. They are now extending the MRT (subway system) to the airport and it will make it even better.

TP2000

Changing gears ... I got multiple emails last week from DLR asking me to participate in a ''5 minute survey with 3 somewhat unusual questions'' (yes, that is how they introduced it).

What was unusual was that after about 7-8 basic questions about my last visit to DLR and how often I'm there, I was presented with nine questions. Disney wanted me to pick ANY three and answer them giving as much input as I wanted.

Kids, this is what us in the over 30 crowd used to take in school and they were called 'essay tests' and I usually did very well (unless the prof didn't like me!)

They were:

6.) DLR is too ...;

I have ideas as to what Disney was trying to get to with this, but I'm curious to hear other opinions, so please offer them ...

That is absolutely fascinating. I have several reactions to this, one of which is "How do good leaders who know the theme park biz not already know the answers to most of these questions?"

Rasvar

Kids, this is what us in the over 30 crowd used to take in school and they were called 'essay tests' and I usually did very well (unless the prof didn't like me!)

They were:

6.) DLR is too ...;

It's good to see someone at Disney who is actually creating a survey that asks for useful information instead of just trying to make survey metrics look good. There was a whole decade of Disney surveys that were slanted towards getting positive responses in the way the questions were leading. Questions like the ones listed will actually elicit some thoughtful responses.

Now, if anyone who makes a decision ever sees any of the responses in a non-sanitized form is a different matter.

asianway

They were:

6.) DLR is too ...;

Go scroll down the mouseinfo twitter feed. They got an even crazier one that was one step above a Rorschach test

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom