A Spirited Perfect Ten

Travel Junkie

Anti-Vax, Reiki healers, insane regulations on EVERYTHING yah CA has FL beat. Not saying that FL does not have it's share of what Jimmy Buffet calls Fruitcakes...

But just go to SFO and see some individuals 'sans attire' walking down market st... And said individuals are those who you wish you could unsee.

Amazon please ship me a gross of ACME Brain Cleanser - XL size.

This isn’t the place for a debate on this, but that statement shows how stereotypical and clueless you are on the subject.

The only thing I’ll address since Disney is part of the debate and that’s the anti-Vax. CA is slightly below the national average (nation 91.9% vs CA 90.7% of 19-35 months old in 2013), but this is a nationwide problem. It gets attached to CA because some of the most outspoken are famous names that live in California. Nationwide it has been trending down and it needs to be addressed nationally. If Ca was as anti-vax as people think, a highly contagious measles epidemic would not be roughly a hundred, it would be in the tens or hundreds of thousands by now.

Rodan75

No, BoD wouldn't want that and JL wouldn't want the job. He likes what he does. I think his nightmare might be going over ESPN contracts with the NBA or negotiating on IP rights in China.

But the BoD takes John very seriously, so when he went to members and said either Rich Ross goes or he would, Bob got 'orders' very quickly.

Yeah...I think folks assuming that Iger has a complete rubber stamp from the board isn't accurate. There are plenty of big personalities on that board that Iger and his successor will have to keep happy. Even if Staggs makes CEO, I can't imagine he would get the Chairman role as well. (Not unless Ike passes first)

Rodan75

Why? They turned the theme parks over to him with no experience whatsoever in the business.

Yeah...I suspect the P&R person will come from another division...If Ben Sherwood wasn't just given the reigns of the networks, I assume he would have gotten the P&R job. I'm sure there are other high profile up and comers at ESPN, Marvel or Lucasfilm that may be in line for 'operational' experience.

5thGenTexan

I lived in Fort Lauderdale until about 1992 - 1993, so I don't necessarily remember the areas that were heavily themed. You can definitely see remnants of past efforts in the Spain/Mexico and Texas sections, but others (France, mostly) are just jokes in regards to theming.

I am a DFW area native and went to SFOT in the 70's and 80s before it was uhhh like it is today. :) You bring up France... In the old days the Roaring Rapids footprint was LaSalle's River Adventure. You were on a boat on the Lavaca River looking for the missing scouts sent ahead. Live spiel, bad jokes, etc... Angus Wynne had been to Disneyland and wanted a Jungle Cruise, except with a Texas twist.

Yosemite Sam's Gold River Adventure or whatever it is used to be Speelunker's Cave. Totally unique dark ride to our park, but was ripped to shreds and replace with Bugs and Friends in the 90s.

Our train used to have live spiels as well only to be replaced with recordings with no feeling. Luckily there are a few people are turning the machines off and once again doing live spiels.

SFOT is my home park and I get a little twisted when people speak badly of Six Flags. Not because I think its a great place now, but because I know what it used to be. At least what the Texas park used to be.

Mike S

The problem with calling it a "kiddie coaster" and ignoring it's creative content and detail is that you then would have to say that every dark ride is a kiddie ride. The only thing different between that and the old Snow White dark ride in it's story is that the ride vehicle is a modified coaster vehicle. The story telling is far and away better then any "Adult Coaster" I have ever seen and goes back to the days of story telling that everyone seems to feel has been sadly lacking in Disney for years now. It is a dark ride with a small amount of adrenaline pump involved. I appreciate it for it's creativity and will laugh all day at anyone that tells me that the old Snow White Adventure (or dust collector as I like to call it) was better. Now that was a kiddie ride if I ever saw one.

7DMT is a very good, well done ride. The idea that it may not be long enough or white knuckle inducing as they would like it does not, in anyway, deduct from it's quality or it's obvious location in Fantasyland and needs to be toned down for the younger folks to enjoy as well as us older people. One of the few worthwhile builds in WDW for a long time. I just wish that all those people that hate it so much would stay away from it so I can ride it more easily.
I don't hate the ride and I don't at all wish it was more "white knuckle inducing," but there's no reason other than cost for why they had to cut it down so much.
image.jpg

SWSA was only better, imo, for telling a more complete story. SDMT beats it in every other possible way. Both rides really could've coexisted but you know how we absolutely needed another M&G :rolleyes:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This isn’t the place for a debate on this, but that statement shows how stereotypical and clueless you are on the subject.

The only thing I’ll address since Disney is part of the debate and that’s the anti-Vax. CA is slightly below the national average (nation 91.9% vs CA 90.7% of 19-35 months old in 2013), but this is a nationwide problem. It gets attached to CA because some of the most outspoken are famous names that live in California. Nationwide it has been trending down and it needs to be addressed nationally. If Ca was as anti-vax as people think, a highly contagious measles epidemic would not be roughly a hundred, it would be in the tens or hundreds of thousands by now.

Considering I do a LOT of technical business in CA and FL I spend a fair amount of time watching the LOCAL news and as to insanity I rate CA as #1 and FL as a very close #2 (as the 'young earth creationists' in FL are easily as nutty as the Gaia devotee's in CA where every rock and blade of grass has it's own 'god') and the cult of 'Celebrity' is just absolutely insane in CA

71jason

So you want to credit him with a Kiddy Coaster?

Okay then.

The best kiddy coaster in the US vs. two meet-and-greets that (i) appealed solely to girls age 4 - 12 (and probably CPs) and (ii) would have had worse hourly capacity than Anna & Elsa, let alone Seven Dwarves.

It at least shows the minimum amount of knowledge of theme park ops necessary for the job.

Rodan75

As everyone knows, Tom Staggs was named Disney's Chief Operating Officer (COO) earlier today. As COO, Staggs becomes the frontrunner to replace Bob Iger when he steps down as CEO in 2018. (Conspicuously absent from the announcement was the title of president, which would have cemented Staggs as Iger's successor.)

The question is: Why Staggs?

Surely there are many reasons but since this is a WDW fansite, I'd like to comment on only one: Parks & Resorts (P&R) financial performance.

Staggs improved P&R's operational margin while his predecessor, current Disney CFO Jay Rasulo, did not.

Some background is needed to give this statement context.

For decades, Disney's P&R segment remained highly profitable following a business model of quality and expansion. However, CEO Michael Eisner wasn't satisfied with this performance and appointed the up-and-coming Paul Pressler president of Disneyland Resort (DLR).

Pure and simple, Pressler was a train wreck.

Successfully running a theme park requires understanding operations. It requires understanding the theme park market. It requires long-term planning and patience.

Pressler lacked all of these. Allegedly, Pressler was a numbers guy who thought he could sit at his desk, pour over spreadsheets, and make major decisions without stepping inside a theme park.

Fans of DLR hated Pressler. There was a near-universal opinion that he single-handedly ruined the resort.

But Pressler was an Eisner favorite. Rather than accept what was happening, Eisner promoted Pressler to head of P&R at the beginning of fiscal year 1999.

After peaking at 23.8% in fiscal year 2000, P&R margin began to spiral downward: 22.6% in 2001, 18.1% in 2002, and 14.9% in 2003. P&R was devastated by 9/11 and Pressler had no idea what to do. He left Disney late in 2002 for The Gap where, by all accounts, he was a disaster there too.

Rasulo succeeded Pressler as head of P&R in September 2002 (i.e. the beginning of fiscal year 2003). He remained until the first quarter of fiscal year 2010, effectively controlling budgets for 8 years. During Rasulo's 8 years, P&R margin averaged 14.5%. By his last year, P&R margin was at a Disney all-time low of 12.2%.

After Rasulo and Staggs swapped jobs and Staggs became P&R Chairman in 2010, P&R's margin began to improve, climbing at least 1% each year, finishing at a respectable 17.6% in fiscal year 2014. In the quarterly results announced earlier this week, P&R margin jumped to 20.6%, a number P&R hasn't seen since 2001.

Rasulo's years as head of P&R marked that segment's low point.

In just 4 years, Staggs appears to have fixed the financial woes Rasulo couldn't fix in 8 years.

This is not a question of whether we like how margins were improved. This is a matter of Staggs meeting Iger's financial objectives.

Staggs delivered. Rasulo did not.

And since I promised a graph ... :D

View attachment 81688

Great job on this! I think this is the best connection between the point you are making and the data you are leveraging to support your point. Although I shudder to think what they are going to do to be able to get back up to those next 3-5 points of profitability.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Great job on this! I think this is the best connection between the point you are making and the data you are leveraging to support your point. Although I shudder to think what they are going to do to be able to get back up to those next 3-5 points of profitability.

Expect a MUCH larger CP for a pool of cheap labor (that live in a company town) at least.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't hate the ride and I don't at all wish it was more "white knuckle inducing," but there's no reason other than cost for why they had to cut it down so much.
View attachment 81723
SWSA was only better, imo, for telling a more complete story. SDMT beats it in every other possible way. Both rides really could've coexisted but you know how we absolutely needed another M&G :rolleyes:

Precisely, What 7DMT is missing is show scenes which were cut for cost reasons, 7DMT was never meant to be a 'Thrill' ride but it's primary problem is the 'Is that ALL there is after waiting 2 hours' feeling at the end of the ride.

PhotoDave219

The problem with calling it a "kiddie coaster" and ignoring it's creative content and detail is that you then would have to say that every dark ride is a kiddie ride. The only thing different between that and the old Snow White dark ride in it's story is that the ride vehicle is a modified coaster vehicle. The story telling is far and away better then any "Adult Coaster" I have ever seen and goes back to the days of story telling that everyone seems to feel has been sadly lacking in Disney for years now. It is a dark ride with a small amount of adrenaline pump involved. I appreciate it for it's creativity and will laugh all day at anyone that tells me that the old Snow White Adventure (or dust collector as I like to call it) was better. Now that was a kiddie ride if I ever saw one.

7DMT is a very good, well done ride. The idea that it may not be long enough or white knuckle inducing as they would like it does not, in anyway, deduct from it's quality or it's obvious location in Fantasyland and needs to be toned down for the younger folks to enjoy as well as us older people. One of the few worthwhile builds in WDW for a long time. I just wish that all those people that hate it so much would stay away from it so I can ride it more easily.

I'm simply trying to put into context exactly what Staggs is responsible for. And as you can tell, I am not impressed.

Should have kept Snow White. Shoulda have kept.....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It isn't, which I admit is scary as hell.

Why do you say that - Curious as I spend much time in the SFO-Santa Clara area and at least in MY experience is a insane asylum where the inmates run the place, Where individuals 'sans attire' are not unusual and other nutty things happen on a regular basis.

A case in point the Bay to Breakers marathon (NSFW).

Kman101

Yeah, SDMT might not be impressive to some but I'd rather have that (well, I'd rather have a LOT of things we don't have at the parks) than meet and gropes I'll never set foot in. At least I can ride SDMT. I doubt I'll ever set foot in Belle's Enchanted Meet and Grope or Princess Fairytale Hall, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom