A Spirited Perfect Ten

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
And people wonder why CA beats FL for most whacked out state in the union...

Meh, you should have heard our new whacked out governor in Illinois. He has a habit of speaking like a well educated man and then flipping his vernacular to stereo typical hillbilly likely believing that would endear himself to the southern part of the state. The Unions in this state are strong when it comes to politics. So he drops he doesn't believe there should be collective bargaining with unions and then drops in a tidbit of that minimum wage increase that will still have people well below the poverty level, well he thinks that is way too much and phase in of 4 years isn't long enough so he wants it to be less and over 7 years instead of 4. There was more but you get the idea....

Yeah our whacked out state of the union can compete with Florida and Cali. Depressing that we are vying for which state of ours is more messed up. Oy

lazyboy97o

I thought it was Staggs that realized New Fantasyland didn't need so many large meet & gropes, and caused large one in the middle to get replaced with 7DMT. Which, admittedly isn't all that great a creative stretch, but if he, Jay & (not so) silent Bob share one creative instinct between them, it's almost exclusively his.
The whole "too girly" story is just that, a story. Stags wasn't some deeply involved semi-creative looking to create the best show. The operational realities of the meet and greet complex finally made their way to the top realize that the project wasn't going to work for its goals, which all centered around capacity.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Meh, you should have heard our new whacked out governor in Illinois. He has a habit of speaking like a well educated man and then flipping his vernacular to stereo typical hillbilly likely believing that would endear himself to the southern part of the state. The Unions in this state are strong when it comes to politics. So he drops he doesn't believe there should be collective bargaining with unions and then drops in a tidbit of that minimum wage increase that will still have people well below the poverty level, well he thinks that is way too much and phase in of 4 years isn't long enough so he wants it to be less and over 7 years instead of 4. There was more but you get the idea....

Yeah our whacked out state of the union can compete with Florida and Cali. Depressing that we are vying for which state of ours is more messed up. Oy

Well to be fair for a long time the government of IL has been more of a criminal syndicate run out of Cook County. I suspect the government was better when it was run by Al Capone...

Mickey_777

While y'all compare Cedar Fair and Six Flags, one of the best themed parks outside of the Disney and UNI umbrella is Silver Dollar City. It happens to be in my back yard basically and I hold passes. As they plan to add more thrill rides soon it will only get better. Dollywood is it's sister park and they once shared the name. Dolly has more coasters but the ones SDC has are very solid. SDC has stayed much closer to it's theme as Dolly has drifted away from one unifying theme. Only park I van think of that has a no surcharge cave tour, and a wood coaster that inverts all the while I can attend a church service on Sunday Morning in a Log church. Here's the new addition for 2015:
sdc%2B(2).png

-img1-sdc-1.jpg

Authentic, period props include a steam fire wagon and 1880s bell for bell tower:
B8PAXZPIMAE1QmZ.jpg

Those additions look like they're going to be great. I hope to make it out to Silver Dollar City one day. I'm just nowhere near that part of the country ever.

Gabe1

Just the half a spark it took to realize that the original plans were way too princess heavy. Remember, it was a fairly well developed idea sitting around WDI. Based on track layouts that Martin posted, it was also a much better ride as originally imagined. Of course, he also probably deserves 'credit' for watering it down to its current form.
That is not how I remember it shaking out. I remember the outcry from the outsiders unrelentingly picking apart a chunk of the FLE concept art. Hate not being a strong enough reaction to the Fairyland. All those who understand Disney kept pounding and pounding and finally Disney said Uncle. Disney didn't come to this realization on their own and so I don't give him credit for making the change. And there wound up being a kiddy coaster because the project kept moving and that is all that was going to fit there not because he had a vision.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I suspect this directly related to the relatively recent improvement in Parks & Resorts gross margin, something Jay Rasulo could never get a handle on.

Looks like I need to post a graph later tonight. ;)

Nope. Nothing to do with it.

Just got an earful from a friend on the left coast (second friend I talked to today who was driving thru In N Out for a meal when we talked ...I call that the Tom Bricker Effect) who has followed this VERY closely.

Jay got too pushy according to said friend (backed up by a second source just like real reporters used to do) ever since Bob decided to extend his tenure. Did everything but demand -- and he could have done that, we just don't know -- that he get the No. 2 job and a vote of confidence.

Apparently, working sans a contract, coupled with placing PR naming him as the favorite, and recent media coverage all conspired to Bob making a very quick call.

I wouldn't be shocked if Jay is gone well before Easter.

5thGenTexan

Other than mostly adding nothing before selling to Premier Parks and abusing the Looney Tunes property at any occasion, I'm not sure what you're referring to. There was mostly nothing between Texas Giant in 1991 and Mr. Freeze in 1998 (the time TW operated SF).

SFOT was originally heavily themed in each of the represented six flags. Prior to all the WB characters and DC stuff. Employees wearing uniforms appropriate for their area of the park, different music played appropriate for each area of the park.

Gabe1

Well to be fair for a long time the government of IL has been more of a criminal syndicate run out of Cook County. I suspect the government was better when it was run by Al Capone...

I'm hard pressed to think of a state that is free of corruption. I grew up in Cook Country and my Dad was a contractor and then worked for OSHA. I know what happens and what is lost in the fiction of movies and TV shows. In no way am I saying Cook County is free of corruption but we all laugh at the never ending Al Capone comparisons. It is everyones go to mantra for Chicago.

There are major issues and unfortunately the gangs have more to do with that than the politicians. Me I look back to when I was small and the county was run by the First Mayor Daley. They pounded out deals in the backrooms, everyone was paid well and there were not strikes, the city prospered. Now I look at it much the same way as I do the Feds. Opposites debating everything to death and progress doesn't happen. I am an elected official and I want to put my head through a wall daily. People make things too complicated. My biggest disgust is the issues with the concept of Open Meetings, it is genuinely a concept lost on many politicians.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Buckle up for that wild speculation. It is gonna be bumpy.

I admit that I was tempted to look at the Twitverse earlier and then I recalled a recent Tweet by proud man-child Tom Amity calling this site 'psychotic' and decided that laughing at them isn't the best use of my time when I am attempting to build a scale model of Cindy's Castle out of earwax and eye goo.

Kman101

LOL at someone on Twitter calling this site "psychotic". Twitter. The place that breeds crazies and gives them a voice that all of a sudden people place importance on. Like it's perfectly sane to practically live and breath Disney or Universal? LOL. I can't.

Especially considering this board has some of the best discussions around (when we aren't debating ridiculous things and bickering LOL). I don't see many Disney boards thriving like this one and one with such knowledgeable posters.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Roy never gets enough credit.

Honestly, this is a very overstated point in the fan community. It was true to some extent during his life because he chose to be the quiter partner. Much like the inaccuracy that Frank Wells was meek and the 'good guy' who kept Michael Eisner in check.

In the last 25 years, most fans (as well as historians) give Roy all the credit he deserved and then some.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Technically I don't go to the parks till tomorrow but I'm hanging out in DLR right now and I just had to laugh a little when I walked in and saw this.
View attachment 81669
Wasn't this discussed before?

Virtually every public place in Cali has those signs because the law behind them is so dumb. Its Chicken Little in real life... no one even pays attention to the signs anymore because literally... every place has them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom