A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

I don't understand these stories. I saw Star Wars opening weekend, randomly showing up unplanned to my local multiplex, bought a ticket for the next showing that was in 15 minutes and had my pick of seats in a theater that had less than 20 people total. I didn't see any lines and nothing (not the concessions, not the bathrooms) was particularly busier than usual. My party and I were sitting there going, "where is everybody? I thought this was supposed to be big."

And this was a prominent multiplex in the Los Angeles area.

So you're comparing your local multiplex to a the demand at a IMAX theatre with the latest projector on a holiday weekend?

doctornick

I think the point is that Star Wars is probably still doing well at IMAX theaters which are more limited in number and where people arrive early to get good seats (sitting low for IMAX kinda is annoying). For your regular movie screens, it obviously would not be as packed, as it's drawing respectable by nothing special box office at this point.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Bob Weis to replace Bruce Vaughn as head of WDI.
https://twitter.com/boss_angeles/status/688150291301060612
Bruce Vaughn is leaving as creative lead of WDI. Weis to replace him.
Wow. Just wow. :jawdrop: (BTW... miss you, Eddie! :()

Little creative birdie told me years ago that a decent chunk of SDL's problems could be laid directly at Weis' feet. And this is the exec Burbank has deemed worthy of replacing Vaughn?

1401 Flower Street: "Leave your brain at the door."
:depressed:

BrianLo

Little creative birdie told me years ago that a decent chunk of SDL's problems could be laid directly at Weis' feet. And this is the exec Burbank has deemed worthy of replacing Vaughn?

Operative word 'could'. The problems at SDL 'should' not be laid at Weis's feet. The worry was he could be turned into the fall guy, but wiser heads have prevailed.

After all, say what you will about SDL, but apart from a few contentious items, people are generally happy with the creative direction of the park.

lazyboy97o

Operative word 'could'. The problems at SDL 'should' not be laid at Weis's feet. The worry was he could be turned into the fall guy, but wiser heads have prevailed.

After all, say what you will about SDL, but apart from a few contentious items, people are generally happy with the creative direction of the park.
Why should Weis be spared? He in part got Shanghai by promising lowing costs through a more Universal Creative type model for getting work done.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow. Just wow. :jawdrop: (BTW... miss you, Eddie! :()

It is a good move, a very good one for WDI. :)

That little birdie needed his feathers plucked. :cool::D;)

If you ever believe anything I write, believe this is the best thing to happen on Flower in a very long time ... and if it went down the way I believe it did, I think things will be looking up for a lot of Disney projects all over the world.

More thoughts after the weekend!:brb:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't understand these stories. I saw Star Wars opening weekend, randomly showing up unplanned to my local multiplex, bought a ticket for the next showing that was in 15 minutes and had my pick of seats in a theater that had less than 20 people total. I didn't see any lines and nothing (not the concessions, not the bathrooms) was particularly busier than usual. My party and I were sitting there going, "where is everybody? I thought this was supposed to be big."

Because you aren't paying attention to the significant elements of the statement. He was talking about a theater with the latest upgrades available... Of which there are only 7 in the entire country... And only two on the east coast... Showing the film in this type of presentation. A theater that can't show films at three screens at a time, etc

Mike S

If you ever believe anything I write, believe this is the best thing to happen on Flower in a very long time ... and if it went down the way I believe it did, I think things will be looking up for a lot of Disney projects all over the world.

image.jpeg

BlueSkyDriveBy

I stand corrected. :oops:

Wow. Getting spanked by the Spirit.

Sounds like a new reality TV show.

:hilarious::D:p:happy::eek::);):jawdrop::joyfull:

Hula Popper

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/

Domestic Accomplishments
Biggest domestic movie ever
Biggest single day ever
Biggest opening day ever
Biggest Friday ever
Biggest Saturday ever
Biggest Monday ever
Biggest Tuesday ever
Biggest non-holiday Monday ever
Biggest non-opening Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday ever
Biggest opening weekend ever
Biggest average per movie theater in an opening weekend ever
Biggest second weekend ever
Biggest third weekend ever
Biggest December ever
Biggest 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10-day gross ever
Fastest ever to $100 million, $150 million, $200 million, $250 million, $300 million, $400 million, $500, $600, and $700 million, and only movie to top $800 million

Even adjusted for inflation, in just 29 days it's already the 15th biggest domestic movie ever and will undoubtedly get up to number 11, probably no later than next weekend, and may end up in the top 10. The top 10 list of adjusted for inflation domestic movie includes six movies that have had multiple releases, no movies released for the first time after 1997, and only one movie originally released after 1982 (less competition for entertainment dollars back in the day).

It's also the third biggest movie worldwide ever.

It's safe to say it's been big...really, really, really big.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/

Domestic Accomplishments
Biggest domestic movie ever
Biggest single day ever
Biggest opening day ever
Biggest Friday ever
Biggest Saturday ever
Biggest Monday ever
Biggest Tuesday ever
Biggest non-holiday Monday ever
Biggest non-opening Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday ever
Biggest opening weekend ever
Biggest average per movie theater in an opening weekend ever
Biggest second weekend ever
Biggest third weekend ever
Biggest December ever
Biggest 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10-day gross ever
Fastest ever to $100 million, $150 million, $200 million, $250 million, $300 million, $400 million, $500, $600, and $700 million, and only movie to top $800 million

Even adjusted for inflation, in just 29 days it's already the 15th biggest domestic movie ever and will undoubtedly get up to number 11, probably no later than next weekend, and may end up in the top 10. The top 10 list of adjusted for inflation domestic movie includes six movies that have had multiple releases, no movies released for the first time after 1997, and only one movie originally released after 1982 (less competition for entertainment dollars back in the day).

It's also the third biggest movie worldwide ever.

It's safe to say it's been big...really, really, really big.
Meh. One or two random facts still doesn't make this more than an average popcorn flick that will fade into obscurity.

Phil12

Once again, Iger's genius has prevailed.

doctornick

Meh. One or two random facts still doesn't make this more than an average popcorn flick that will fade into obscurity.

The quality of the film is certainly open to debate, but I'm quite certain that The Force Awakens will not "fade into obscurity".

That said, I'd argue it was far better than an average popcorn flick. The acting alone was excellent for a film of this sort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom