A Spirited Perfect Ten

david10225

Headed back to France again this weekend, so not a whole lot of time ... but how many of you have spent time looking, really looking like an OCD fanboi, at the SDL site, what it says, what language it uses, what it doesn't say etc...?

I'm also heading to Paris tomorrow night with my family...hope to hit Disney on Thursday...bettered looks chilly next week

FigmentJedi

I'm still not impressed by the exterior of the TRON coaster, I mean it looks pretty but doesn't look like TRON much at all
I'm unimpressed with their Tomorrowland aesthetic in general. It's pretty much a series of futuristic tent structures with no variety in the skyline whatsoever. The Jet Packs spinner provides kinetics, but it's hub is so boring compared to the Orbiters or Star Jets. Where's the weenie? Just the sight of Lightcycles zipping around the Grid Circus Tent?

phillip sugarman

According to Screamscape, they said that the official name of Star Wars Land at Disneyland will be announced in the next week or two. Does anyone have any information on whether this is true or not?

BrianLo

I'm still not impressed by the exterior of the TRON coaster, I mean it looks pretty but doesn't look like TRON much at all

It's a bit of a conceited story - but essentially the entire outside portion is a run up through a portal to the world of TRON. Something about how Shanghai was selected as a commerce and technological hub to host a portal to TRON. The long and the short is that the outside is tomorrow land, not TRON. There is some longer videos floating out there that show more of the dark ride portion and that does a far better job.

I'm unimpressed with their Tomorrowland aesthetic in general. It's pretty much a series of futuristic tent structures with no variety in the skyline whatsoever. The Jet Packs spinner provides kinetics, but it's hub is so boring compared to the Orbiters or Star Jets. Where's the weenie? Just the sight of Lightcycles zipping around the Grid Circus Tent?

Isn't the problem with DL that the spinner occupies the hub? The Jet packs are going to be quite evident, they sit up above the land at the end of a plateau... Out of the way where they belong. I think the Grid circus tent is going to be much more impressive (certainly at night) than you give it credit for, but I too think tomorrow land is the most in need of one more attraction...

The cut of Toy Story (which is a good thing) has the negative effect of really isolating tomorrow land off on its own.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Marvel and Star Wars are vying for the Phase two expansion. Pending a lot of things like the place actually opening, making money and the performance of TFA in China.

Next Big Thing

Not sure if anyone posted about this - PewDiePie & Maker Studios create new Entertainment & Gaming Network called "Revelmode"

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/pewdiepie-revelmode-network-1201678900/

For those that don't know, PewDiePie (Felix Kjellberg) is the most subscribed YouTube personality at over 41.5 Million subscribers (and over 100M subscribers total from all of the people involved at Revelmode) along with bringing in $12M in 2015 according to Forbes.

PewDiePie has always been the biggest asset that came along with the Maker Studios acquisition, glad to see they are giving him some money to do his own thing and grow his vision even more.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And, yes, last I heard (and it has been a while) but new attractions of a major nature are coming to DLP ... but you're looking at years. First, they fix everything. In between they keep adding new entertainment, especially seasonal stuff. Then they throw a big 25th anniversary event. Then ... then ... they start building new stuff.

Unlike WDW where they cut maintenance, cut menu options, cut housekeeeping and cut some more attractions, Then tease us with PROMISES of new attractions in the next 5 - 10 years.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Speaking of which, *** is in the process, as I type this, of trenching the fiber to my house for their new Gigabit internet service called "gigablast", sooo Happy right now. :)

LOL...C O X got filtered out.

I've had gigabit fiber for a couple years now from our phone company.

FigmentJedi

Isn't the problem with DL that the spinner occupies the hub? The Jet packs are going to be quite evident, they sit up above the land at the end of a plateau... Out of the way where they belong. I think the Grid circus tent is going to be much more impressive (certainly at night) than you give it credit for, but I too think tomorrow land is the most in need of one more attraction...
I'm not talking about the park's hub, I'm talking about the hub of the spinning device all the arms are attached to. It's just a generic Dumbo ball.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This trip was our first time to DLR during the Holiday Season after many WDW trips. While I have to admit that I do like Mickey's Very Merry Xmas Party (especially the parade), DLR does the Holidays better overall. Decoration wise, they both have great moments; but, the seasonal overlays to iasm and HM really shine. I have to admit... I laughed out loud to Jingle Shells.

After our trip in Dec to WDW... that was our general conclusion as well. DLR was decorated better, and of course the seasonal overlays are better. I personally like MK's castle better, but decorations in DLR seem to be all over the parks, while at WDW it seemed to be narrowly done.

My overall was.. WDW at holidays.. not worth a special trip. DLR was a nice icing on the top..

flynnibus

Premium Member
Right on cue some ever so perfectly selected photos come out to shut down the naysayers. At least it appears we can add Buzz and SDMT to probably making opening list.

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

MK style cabs for Buzz? I see the handle to rotate the cars?

flynnibus

Premium Member
My issue is I'm always tinkering with my photos and never quite satisfied with. Too much of my free time is spent taking more pics instead of digitally developing them these days... that and my pinball machines. It was nice to see the Indy Pin Adventure back out for play at Disneyland; but, mine is in MUCH nicer shape. Poor thing could use so much TLC; but, it is nice to see that it was pretty much always being played.

Well my latest addition.. Metallica Pro.. is waiting for some hard-core modding.. \^^/

rael ramone

The Washington Post checks in with a piece on the ESPN fiasco…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...vey-paints-gloomy-picture-for-espn/?tid=sm_tw

According to the article/survey, 56% won't pay $8 for ESPN & ESPN2. Then to maintain price, the price goes up to $20 a home. And only 6% would pay $20.

The question then is how much will that 6% have to pay for ESPN to maintain certain profit levels.

Let's say 10 million homes pay $8 a month for both channels - resulting in $80 million in fees (I'm using 10 million for ease of math).

Only 4.4 million are willing to pay that $8 a la carte. For $20 a month for those my math comes out to $88 million (there could be other factors that they are weighing in). EDIT: Actually its based on another WP reporter saying 30% switching to an online ESPN service would need to charge $20.

But only 600,000 of those 10 million homes will pay $20 a month. 600,000 x $20 comes out to a mere $12 mil (down from $80 mil).

How many people are willing to pay $133 a month for two sports channels, when you can get sports content from the 4 over the air networks, Fox Sports, TBS, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, Big 10 network....

And what does that do to ESPN ad rates?

Maybe they'll be a sequel to the ESPN 30 for 30 film 'Broke', but will interview ESPN executives :eek:

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
According to the article/survey, 56% won't pay $8 for ESPN & ESPN2. Then to maintain price, the price goes up to $20 a home. And only 6% would pay $20.

The question then is how much will that 6% have to pay for ESPN to maintain certain profit levels.

Let's say 10 million homes pay $8 a month for both channels - resulting in $80 million in fees (I'm using 10 million for ease of math).

Only 4.4 million are willing to pay that $8 a la carte. For $20 a month for those my math comes out to $88 million (there could be other factors that they are weighing in). EDIT: Actually its based on another WP reporter saying 30% switching to an online ESPN service would need to charge $20.

But only 600,000 of those 10 million homes will pay $20 a month. 600,000 x $20 comes out to a mere $12 mil (down from $80 mil).

How many people are willing to pay $133 a month for two sports channels, when you can get sports content from the 4 over the air networks, Fox Sports, TBS, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, Big 10 network....

And what does that do to ESPN ad rates?

Maybe they'll be a sequel to the ESPN 30 for 30 film 'Broke', but will interview ESPN executives :eek:

I think you will see a strong correlation between those who play fantasy sports (not the FanDuel gambling variety) but those who are hard core players who have more interest in managing their virtual 'team' and those that will be willing to pay 20 bucks for a ESPN. Perhaps 10-15% of total cable subscribers.

Let's face it ESPN spent money because they COULD, Not because the deals made any sense from a business PoV, Like so much at TWDC it's ego driven decisions like the chinese expansion.

Probably the two best deals which notably were cheaper than the market would suggest otherwise were Marvel and Lucasfilm, To put that into perspective MNF deal cost 25% of the total price of the Marvel and Lucasfilm deals. And with that Disney did not get a single Superbowl where the REAL money on these deals are made.

Deal for MNF 1.9 Billion
Lucasfilm 4 Billion
Marvel 4 Billion

You do the math on this

Not to mention blowing a half Billion on Maker Studios and it's You Tube Channel, For which Disney gets a few tens of millions of dollars per year. Another really bad deal from a business perspective especially since Google collects the lions share of revenue from the YouTube channel (yes folks Google owns YouTube lock stock and barrel).

Yes PewDiePie has the most subs on YouTube but that will only last till the 'Next Big Thing' comes along. But like so many other things Iger makes decisions based on having the 'Biggest' number not on objective business reality.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom