A Spirited Perfect Ten

Mike S

While there has been a change in culture, that much is obvious, the resort and the parks are not in some decrepit falling apart state as some like to repeat. That's my obvservation as a frequent visitor. And yes, it sometimes is simply a moment you walk by and the trash can may be overflowing and spilling on the ground. I could walk by 30 seconds later and see two or three guys hanging around the trash can. I'm not saying the parks and resorts are perfect, but they're hardly in as poor of a shape as they once were.

People like to go on and on about how awful it is but it's really not. And I'm not a "pixie dust snorter defender". I'm not defending management, because the way TDO is run seems ... awful ... but the parks themselves aren't at all the mess some are trying to claim. Certain aspects, sure, but it's not "the sky is falling".
I have a pretty observant eye even if I'm not looking specifically for problems, but even I've never seen an overflowing trash can. Litter here and there? Sure. But never overflowing.

Arthur Wellesley

This is why my friend was cut. He had been with the company for over 15 years, hired long before the acquisition. Kept current with technology (conferences, continuing ed classes, etc). Stellar reviews every year with pay increases. And that's your main clue: his salary kept rising.

Ultimately, he was deemed too expensive to keep. So instead of giving him yet another smashing review with a small pay increase, they canned him in favor of a cheaper, less experienced worker.
Sadly, this is the culture we live in today. Loyalty and longevity with a company in this day & age get you pushed higher & higher toward the chopping block.

Sorry this happened to your friend, @John 's mother, and so many others who were punished for their hard work.

Cesar R M

hey @PhotoDave219 , just returned from universal. Was surprised how nice the whole thing is.
looks nice.. but the park really feels so unerven in quality.
Some areas are ubbersaturated with people (transformers, minions, both harry potter lands) and others are completely empty (Seuss landing)

Diagon was packed to the seams.. you sometimes had trouble walking, thankfully didnt last much.

I was annoyed at the state of forbidden journey. got very dizzy.. because the first and third screens (apart from the "phase out and phase in" animations) are SERIOUSLY DIRTY and muddy. (first hogwarts area scene, the quidditch area wasnt that bad)
the gringotts felt very good, way better resolution on the screens and not dirty.
a shame the ride feels so short. After the last scene you feel wanting more.

The hogwarts express while simple, gave a lot of "feel" to the land.

three broomsticks was packed, but the assigning seats technique worked very well and kept things moving smoothly.

Also, I dunno why the CMs at the parade do not seem to.. care.. I mean the employees that guard the area are usually smiling at Disney and moving around or with the music.
Universal ones look like bored or annoyed most of the time.

Also, Universal dinner packages are a mess.
We ordered simple a simple entree package on our quick package at the tree broomsticks.. and they somehow made our snack points disappear.
When we tried to redeem then.. the points were gone and noone knew how to check where they were redeemed.
the Manager was nice to give me one complimentary popcorn snack and told me to dont trust the hotel package vendors, that they sometimes do things wrong. so I'm scratching my head. as I never had issues with Disney's point system.

Now here I am, writing this silly stuff in a forum while I have blisters on my legs for walking 6 consecutive days nonstop (8 if you count the 2 botched ones thanks to american airlines ruining my connection flight)

tomorrow we will try to get to Spiderman 3d (transformers had a 120 wait on average and up to 180 lol, Minions too) and Transformers and minions

PhotoDave219

hey @PhotoDave219 , just returned from universal. Was surprised how nice the whole thing is.
Some areas are ubbersaturated with people (transformers, minions, both harry potter lands) and others are completely empty (Seuss landing)

Diagon was packed to the seams.. you sometimes had trouble walking, thankfully didnt last much.

I was annoyed at the state of forbidden journey. got very dizzy.. because the first and third screens (apart from the "phase out and phase in" animations) are SERIOUSLY DIRTY and muddy. (first hogwarts area scene, the quidditch area wasnt that bad)
the gringotts felt very good, way better resolution on the screens and not dirty.

three broomsticks was packed, but the assigning seats technique worked very well and kept things moving smoothly.

Also, I dunno why the CMs at the parade do not seem to.. care.. I mean the employees that guard the area are usually smiling at Disney and moving around or with the music.

We ordered simple a simple entree package on our quick package at the tree broomsticks.. and they somehow made our snack points disappear.
When we tried to redeem then.. the points were gone and noone knew how to check where they were redeemed.
the Manager was nice to give me one complimentary popcorn snack and told me to dont trust the hotel package vendors, that they sometimes do things wrong. so I'm scratching my head. as I never had issues with Disney's point system.

Now here I am, writing this silly stuff in a forum while I have blisters on my legs for walking 6 consecutive days nonstop (8 if you count the 2 botched ones thanks to american airlines ruining my connection flight)

tomorrow we will try to get to Spiderman 3d (transformers had a 120 wait on average and up to 180 lol, Minions too) and Transformers and minions

You have picked up on the largest difference between the two theme parks… The cast.

Alas, that's a different story for a different time. And good luck with the airlines.

Cesar R M

If it weren't for discussion forums, I would have literally no one/no place to discuss my three favorite things (Lady Gaga, Cirque, and Disney). Sure, I have friends who are "casual" fans of all of those, but sometimes casual fans are boring. They don't GET why I love these things. And, while I will probably never meet anyone from WDWMagic, its nice knowing I have friends on the other side.
friends on the other side you say???
IrI5qT1.jpg

Mike S

There's a simple explanation for why the parade TM's looked bored: the parade itself is boring. Definitely not one of their strong points.

FigmentForver96

If it weren't for discussion forums, I would have literally no one/no place to discuss my three favorite things (Lady Gaga, Cirque, and Disney). Sure, I have friends who are "casual" fans of all of those, but sometimes casual fans are boring. They don't GET why I love these things. And, while I will probably never meet anyone from WDWMagic, its nice knowing I have friends on the other side.
Hey I love Lady Gaga....I got your back. ;)

TalkingHead

Wonder if they've dropped the maintenance ball before transitioning FJ to 3D. Anyone know if that's still the plan?

Yeah, the pacing of Gringotts is weird. I think it naturally feels like it's missing one additional scene somewhere. Or maybe the drop at the beginning should be saved until the end. I like the ride more than the first time I rode it, but something still feels off.

I'm surprised the wait times are that high in January, but maybe having closed Disaster, Twister, and Beetlejuice is driving up times around the park.

SYRIK2000

I totally understand being frustrated with the direction of the company and feeling like something you love is being changed for the worse. I understand having a negative slant and skeptical eye to most decisions.

But that poster in particular, basically trolls these boards (except I don't think he's trolling.) In the months that I've been here, I've seen nothing but complete criticism and anger about everything at the parks, every movie, every decision. I don't understand why, if something has changed so much that you hate literally every single aspect of it, why you would choose to spend every day living in that negativity online and continuing to book trips.
Putting him on ignore vastly improves the experience.

Cesar R M

Wonder if they've dropped the maintenance ball before transitioning FJ to 3D. Anyone know if that's still the plan?

Yeah, the pacing of Gringotts is weird. I think it naturally feels like it's missing one additional scene somewhere. Or maybe the drop at the beginning should be saved until the end. I like the ride more than the first time I rode it, but something still feels off.

I'm surprised the wait times are that high in January, but maybe having closed Disaster, Twister, and Beetlejuice is driving up times around the park.
I think its because of the weird weather pattern, the forecast says sun, its going to get cloudy mid day and rain.
Also the temps, they have been lower than 15C almost every day with tons of wind.
So all water rides are almost empty.
forcing people inside the normal attractions.
some areas are almost empty.
but some attractions are completely packed (hogsmeade area and diagon area where full to the seams..) the center area of both IOA and Universal were very lightly filled.

btw. We saw a part of sinbad..and it feels like a horrible attempt to do the indy show style mixed with fantasmic.
We left scratching our heads at the "final fight".

the.dreamfinder

Chinese ticket presales for TFA aren't looking so hot.
http://www.ibtimes.com/star-wars-ch...ould-signal-trouble-disney-juggernaut-2248706
‘Star Wars’ China Box Office: Lukewarm Presales Could Signal Trouble For Disney Juggernaut
LOS ANGELES — "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" shattered box office records at home and around the world when it opened late last month. But tepid presale numbers from China, the one major market the movie has yet to debut in, may mean its expectation-smashing run is about to come to an end.

According to data shared by Jonathan Papish, an industry analyst for China Film Insider, "Star Wars" sold about 2.2 million yuan — about $330,000 — in tickets for the midnight premieres at the end of Friday, and 8.7 million yuan — $1.3 million — for the Saturday opening.

To compare, the 2014 movie "Gone With the Bullets" reeled in 4 million yuan in tickets to its midnight premiere — more than $650,000 at the exchange rate at that time. The historical drama had 120 million yuan — $19.6 million — in total internet presales one month before it hit theaters.

And that lukewarm reception comes despite Disney making a Disney-sized effort to introduce the "Star Wars" universe to a country full of millions of moviegoers who didn't grow up with Luke Skywalker and Han Solo — such as putting 500 storm troopers on the Great Wall.

In the United States and Europe, where "Star Wars" smashed a constellation of box office records, presale numbers were commensurate with the eventual haul. The movie broke $50 million in presales in the U.S. alone. And the movie's extremely strong performance at premium-format Imax theaters in the U.S. — which are popping up faster in China than anywhere else — had hopes high that those super-sized screenings would carry "Star Wars" to another soaring success at the gate.

But for whatever reasons — and almost certainly affected by a crowded slate of January films in China, including what's likely to be one of the year's biggest, "Kung Fu Panda 3" — the Chinese moviegoing public isn't chomping at the bit to secure good seats for "Star Wars." There is clearly no need for 3 a.m. showings in Shanghai, like there was in New York.

That may change when the movie opens, but early returns from what's soon to be the world's biggest box office show that there may yet be some parts of the world immune to "Star Wars" mania. To competing studios — American and Chinese — that could be welcome news.

JoeCamel

btw. We saw a part of sinbad..and it feels like a horrible attempt to do the indy show style mixed with fantasmic.
We left scratching our heads at the "final fight".

At least they cleaned the set in the last refurb, didn't make the show any better but it was done.

You can certainly tell what was created under the last owners compared to this owner. Kinda like Eisner vs. Iger

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom