A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Without getting into a silly Star Wars vs Harry Potter, which is more popular debate, I would mention this: The pent up demand for Harry Potter "stuff" (experiences, merchandise, whatever) was far more than what it is for Star Wars. If you want to experience Star Wars, there are a lot of avenues for that to happen already, including theme parks.

I am sure that a Star Wars land grand opening would be very popular, but there's multiple factors at play that led to HP at Uni having the crazy opening.
I actually shudder to think how massive the flood of people will be on DHS once Star Wars land opens.

doctornick

I actually shudder to think how massive the flood of people will be on DHS once Star Wars land opens.

Well, it seems Disney is worried about it too, which is why they seem inclined to expand both the attraction capacity and parking capacity of DHS before opening it. I think they are also trying to diffuse demand a bit by having Launch Bay and the fireworks to prevent demand from being too "pent up".

John

Don't worry about SWL being successful.........build it and they will come. That said, TDO/TWDC better do it right. One thing they should do is to take notice of how and why TFA is so successful. They did what Disney does best......they pimp nostalgia. When building SWL they should not forget the original trilogy. Make it a nice blend, there will be plenty of time for expansion and addressing the new young guns.

PhotoDave219

I saw it in the local movie theater - the Manassas Cinema 4......digital film and very good sound..but pretty small theaters.....no advanced ticket needed - only about 1/2 full and on Tuesdays and Wednesday....I saw it for 5 bucks! (like supporting the locals)

David

That's the other side of Manassas!

TalkingHead

Went to Disney Springs to see Hateful Eight tonight.

Along the way, I noticed that the DHS entrance from 192 looks really rough. This is the entrance with big, oversized pictures of C3PO, LMA, etc. The image advertising Frozen is so faded it's nearly blank. The picture looks like someone took a big eraser to it. Makes quite the introduction to the park.

Really liked H8, incidentally. Love the Morricone score. Not sure the Disney Springs AMC gave it the best roadshow presentation - and amazingly another moviegoer played on his phone during the movie until I politely asked him what the heck he was doing.

But the movie was highly entertaining and didn't drag. I liked it much better than Django, which I thought went on far too long.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The Tokyo site was chosen over two years ago. TWDC should have seen the labor problem coming back then and planned accordingly, like securing cheap(er) construction contracts before the Olympic committee could.

Once again, I ask the keeper of all things intelligent in the space-time continuum for some guidance:

How do corporations like TWDC continue to justify grotesquely malignant executive salaries and compensation packages with such ignorant, short-sighted, reactionary planning behavior as this?

It's bad enough Burbank has been blindsided by cable cord cutting and ESPN revenue hits.

But not securing labor during the planning stages of TDL's expansion in light of Tokyo winning the 2020 Olympics? Seriously?

That's some major league stupid right there. :confused:

One reason perhaps as when the Frozen attraction was greenlighted, Tokyo had not yet been awarded the Olympics, OLC is not known for being stupid or shortsighted

71jason

Went to Disney Springs to see Hateful Eight tonight.

Along the way, I noticed that the DHS entrance from 192 looks really rough. This is the entrance with big, oversized pictures of C3PO, LMA, etc. The image advertising Frozen is so faded it's nearly blank. The picture looks like someone took a big eraser to it. Makes quite the introduction to the park.

Never looked good, but looking really rough lately. Whole parking lot could use some TLC, and a re-design. Hopefully coming soon.

Not sure the Disney Springs AMC gave it the best roadshow presentation.

By all accounts, DS is one of the few theaters nationwide that hasn't screwed up their print. Solid movie, but not for mainstream audiences--a throwback to Reservoir Dogs in many ways,

BrianLo

The Tokyo site was chosen over two years ago. TWDC should have seen the labor problem coming back then and planned accordingly, like securing cheap(er) construction contracts before the Olympic committee could.

Once again, I ask the keeper of all things intelligent in the space-time continuum for some guidance:

How do corporations like TWDC continue to justify grotesquely malignant executive salaries and compensation packages with such ignorant, short-sighted, reactionary planning behavior as this?

It's bad enough Burbank has been blindsided by cable cord cutting and ESPN revenue hits.

But not securing labor during the planning stages of TDL's expansion in light of Tokyo winning the 2020 Olympics? Seriously?

That's some major league stupid right there. :confused:

They probably justified it in the same way you justified a massive rant against TWDC when it literally has nothing to do with them.

OLC is the company responsible for securing labor for their park. I'm generally irked with their thus-far sluggish handling of the expansion, but I wouldn't go that far.

BlueSkyDriveBy

They probably justified it in the same way you justified a massive rant against TWDC when it literally has nothing to do with them.

OLC is the company responsible for securing labor for their park. I'm generally irked with their thus-far sluggish handling of the expansion, but I wouldn't go that far.
Fine. My frustration was misguided. OLC deserves the blame for not securing their construction labor once Tokyo was in serious contention for the Olympics.

It's not like that revelation caught them by surprise. Any Japanese-based organization having even the slightest tangential connection to the tourism industry knew that Tokyo was in the running and one of the most likely candidate cities to win. OLC should have locked up their construction crews before the Olympics announcement was made, knowing full well that work crews would be difficult to come by in a short period of time should Tokyo be selected.

Now, Imagineers have been let go, and TDL will get a smaller expansion because of short-sighted planning. Sorry, but an experienced company like OLC should have known better.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Fine. My frustration was misguided. OLC deserves the blame for not securing their construction labor once Tokyo was in serious contention for the Olympics.

It's not like that revelation caught them by surprise. Any Japanese-based organization having even the slightest tangential connection to the tourism industry knew that Tokyo was in the running and one of the most likely candidate cities to win. OLC should have locked up their construction crews before the Olympics announcement was made, knowing full well that work crews would be difficult to come by in a short period of time should Tokyo be selected.

Now, Imagineers have been let go, and TDL will get a smaller expansion because of short-sighted planning. Sorry, but an experienced company like OLC should have known better.
Considering that the Olympics are a national pride project. I'm not sure OLC could have locked up construction resources to build their project. What I'd expect is that OLC will probably do the work in 2 phases a reduced scope now and a plussing phase after the olympics.

I'm also pretty sure that any company in the greater Tokyo area were asked to cut back construction to the bare essentials to free up crews and equipment for the Olympic buildout

Goofyernmost

Never looked good, but looking really rough lately. Whole parking lot could use some TLC, and a re-design. Hopefully coming soon.
It makes sense that if they are about to embark on a major redo of DHS that they aren't going to spend buckets of money to make something look good when it will probably be torn out of there in a few months. It will be interesting to see just how they change the place. There is a chance that it will come out good (also one that it will suck) only time will tell. Whatever it is that they are planning is being kept pretty close to the chest.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I feel like we should call him Mousermerf

Is he still alive and part of the fan community? I forgot all about him while watching Tommy Boi (apparently he was left at the altar or something like that) explode his personal life all over the Twitters this fall.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Universal also has the advantage of limited access point to enter the main park/city walk area so you can park hop and not hve to worry about metal detectors. At Disney, detectors at the gates are necessary.

Why? What exactly will they stop or prevent? Do you think they'll be more effective than our TSA, which fails nine times out of 10 to detect weapons? They should do away with the bag checks and gates entirely.

Take the charade money and use it toward real security.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I know this may drive SW fans bonkers (do you really think I care?), but this columnist makes some very, very salient points about The Force Awakens and the entire Hollywood blockbuster model:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hil...the-force-awakens-stinks-20151226-column.html

Googled the author, has an interesting history.

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/2006/04/hiltzik_suspend.html

I also think this backlash is the most predictable backlash in history. The movie is too big and too well liked to escape the "it's cool to hate it" columns and comments. Soon there will be a backlash to the backlash, it's a fun cycle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom