A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Illegal downloading tends to hurt small to midsize films the most, hence the rise of day and date VOD.
There was an study that actually said the opposite.
Thanks for redistribution... makes people buy more movies to see the extra content and extended editions.
and buy more in merchandise.

AEfx

The amount of sw clothing I saw in the parks last week alone probably paid for the film :)

It's amazing actually how diverse the customer base was... Culture event. And I'm off to see tfa myself in 15mins :)

From the estimates I am hearing - all of the products, from the toys, clothing, make-up, household products, on and on - the six month period around TFA is going to gross more in product sales than Disney spent for Lucasfilm*.

(Granted, we are talking gross not profit, but that's still pretty astronomical that they stand to pull in about 5B in merch - without the film included! - still tells me that the deal will have paid for itself by the time Episode VII is out...)

RSoxNo1

I have to agree with that.
His death also seemed like they killed him just to do it instead of enhancing the overall plot. I've heard some reasoning to justify it but honestly it doesn't make me feel any better. Plus he didn't get much screen time as you said.
The overall movie was still great though, classic Star Wars.
Do you mean Han Solo's screen time? I was surprised by how much he was in this. I definitely think there wasn't enough yet to establish Kylo's back story and why he's so miserable, so for that reason I think the death scene would have been better in Episode VIII. I guess it's already been established that Ford will be back in some capacity in Episode VIII (presumably similar to what they did with Alec Guinness). It could have been as simple as Ford only wanted the significant role in Episode VII.

gmajew

Premium Member
Do you mean Han Solo's screen time? I was surprised by how much he was in this. I definitely think there wasn't enough yet to establish Kylo's back story and why he's so miserable, so for that reason I think the death scene would have been better in Episode VIII. I guess it's already been established that Ford will be back in some capacity in Episode VIII (presumably similar to what they did with Alec Guinness). It could have been as simple as Ford only wanted the significant role in Episode VII.

Where did you read he will be back?

rael ramone

Problem #2 from the film for me was no reunion between Han & Luke in this film and made it look like it won't happen in this trilogy at all. And I strongly suspect Ford 'being signed onto all 3 films' has more to do with hiding his fate in the first film then him showing up in the next 2 which I would not count on.

VJ

It just seemed like they killed him off way prematurely, we hadn't seen much of him and then boom, he's gone.
Where did you read he will be back?
It was said that all main cast would be back for VIII. Not sure what that means for Harrison but it sounds like he'll be back too.

rael ramone

'You need to decide the rules, then be honest within those rules.

This is similar to a quote one of the technicians made in the 'making of Star Trek Wrath of Khan'. Sci-Fi doesn't mean you can just go willy nilly. Develop the rules - and be honest with them.

6 films into this 'franchise' (referring to it as that gives me the chills) it's been established that 'Jedi' skills need to be developed, through training. Kylo's skillset works - however Rey's has some explaining to do. Perhaps the next films will do so. Or perhaps the established logic of the series was just tossed away to 'get a cool fight'.

gmajew

Premium Member
'You need to decide the rules, then be honest within those rules.

This is similar to a quote one of the technicians made in the 'making of Star Trek Wrath of Khan'. Sci-Fi doesn't mean you can just go willy nilly. Develop the rules - and be honest with them.

6 films into this 'franchise' (referring to it as that gives me the chills) it's been established that 'Jedi' skills need to be developed, through training. Kylo's skillset works - however Rey's has some explaining to do. Perhaps the next films will do so. Or perhaps the established logic of the series was just tossed away to 'get a cool fight'.
It will be explained in the flash back scene she was left as a padawan so my guess is she has completed some training up to this point.

the.dreamfinder

Hmmm... arrogant you say?
http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/japan-box-office-yo-kai-watch-beats-star-wars-1201665921/
Japan Box Office: ‘Yo-Kai Watch’ Beats ‘Star Wars’ Ticket Sales
TOKYO — “Yo-Kai Watch the Movie 2: King Enma and the 5 Stories, Nyan!,” the second animated feature based on the popular Yo-Kai Watch role playing game, opened bigger than “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in Japan in admissions terms. “Yo-Kai” sold 975,000 tickets for the Dec. 19-20 weekend.

That made it number one in Japan where box office rank is usually expressed by admissions, not revenue. “Yo-Kai” which is distributed by Toho, opened in 358 theaters and grossed $8.71 million.

Given the higher ticket prices being charged for “Star Wars” at the 371 theaters it is playing, “Star Wars” secured the top spot for weekend earnings.

“Star Wars” bowed on Friday Dec. 18, ahead of the normal weekend Saturday opening, on 958 screens. That was a record for the Japanese market, sparking complaints from online commentators that Disney was “arrogant” and “pushing a series past its sell-by date.” In three days it earned $13.3 million from 1.04 million admissions. Its weekend (Saturday and Sunday) admissions at 800,000, lagged “Yo-Kai Watch,” but were worth $10.3 million.

The first “Yo-Kai Watch” movie, released in December last year, finished with $64 million, and the second is predicted to better.

Toho is predicting that “Yo-Kai” will pass the JPY5 billion ($41 million) mark and could go as high as JPY6 billion ($49 million).

culturenthrills

I have seen it twice and I liked it even more the second time. I love the score. It didn't stand out on the first viewing but I noticed it more the second time. Rey's theme is a beautiful piece of music and I love how the older themes are weaved into the newer stuff. Daisy Ridley completely steals every scene she is in. Where did they find this girl? So much of the movie rides on her shoulders and she completely knocks it out of the park and sucks you into to caring about Rey and her journey. Just so many great performances and Harrison Ford gives the best one that he has done in years. From the moment he steps on the screen why are right back with Han, just years later. No mumbling or acting like he is bored, like we have seen the last 10-15 years out of him in movies. He is Han. Just a great movie and a great start to a new saga for Star Wars.

Cesar R M

Problem #2 from the film for me was no reunion between Han & Luke in this film and made it look like it won't happen in this trilogy at all. And I strongly suspect Ford 'being signed onto all 3 films' has more to do with hiding his fate in the first film then him showing up in the next 2 which I would not count on.
Unless he pulled a "hidden" luke maneuver (where he falls but still survives and is rescued by someone else?)...there are only 2 other options:
having him doing the "force" connection like you said (ben Kenobi with luke) with Kylo.
or flashbacks in a movie.
My money is on flashbacks as Reyna remembers her childhood via The force.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom