A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Just thought I would add this link to the conversation concerning the topic of the UNI news.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201512/4857/

I think that this is such a good thing. We really like vacationing in this part of the world. The more things that happen here that ultimately lead the different entertainment companies to compete with each other is a good thing. Seeing the potential with Diagon Alley, can you imagine a 3rd gate that would be entirely held to that standard and level of theming and immersion? Wow! We have Harry Potter, soon there will be Kong, then Avatar, then Toy Story Land, then Star Wars. A new water park and potential 3rd gate at UNI? And also a phase 3 and possibly more for DHS. And then there is WDW's 50th anniversary. This just keeps looking better and better.
I hope we do not see a giant slump after the big grow.

doctornick

If Autopia is getting electric cars, is it possible that WDW might also be included in the sponsorship deal and also having the Speedway improved?

doctornick

I can't believe Disney doesn't pay any attention to Universal (well actually I can, I've seen how bad New Fantasyland is compared to Wizarding World), but unless you're a die-hard Disney fan who must stay on site, I-Drive will be by far the most sensible place to stay when in Orlando when all this is complete, that's my feeling.

I think the opposite: if Uni builds a third gate (on top of a new/better water park), it basically becomes a very viable week long resort destination for most people. There's becomes less reason to stay in between WDW and Uni and more reason to just pick one for a trip and spend all your time there. Maybe for foreign guests with longer vacations, I-Drive might make some sense, but for most domestic guests, it would force the decision of which resort to visit.

Doing the 1 or 2 day add on for Uni onto WDW based vacation becomes less sensible the more Uni builds.

Mike S

This is exactly why dreams of a third gate don't excite me. I just don't see Universal actually truly embracing themed entertainment as a creative medium and thus don't expect much more than Islands of Adventure Part 3.
I would love to see original stuff from Universal Creative as well but "Islands of Adventure Part 3" wouldn't bother me so much. Why? Because Uni, from day 1, has always been about IP's both internal and licensed kind of mishmashed together. How does going from Alfred Hitchcock films, to Hanna-Barbara cartoons, to Ghostbusters, and then King Kong make any sense? I know what to expect from them. Disney, as we all know, is a whole other story.

doctornick

I would love to see original stuff from Universal Creative as well but "Islands of Adventure Part 3" wouldn't bother me so much. Why? Because Uni, from day 1, has always been about IP's both internal and licensed kind of mishmashed together. How does going from Alfred Hitchcock films, to Hanna-Barbara cartoons, to Ghostbusters, and then King Kong make any sense? I know what to expect from them. Disney, as we all know, is a whole other story.

Aren't the Disney castle parks kinda "mishmashed" together? I mean, you have some connections between lands like around the RoA, but otherwise it's just a bunch of unrelated themes.

lazyboy97o

There was a time when Universal Studios Florida had its own identity, but since 1999 the Islands of Adventure concept has been applied to the Studios branded parks. At present it is just becoming more and more Islands of Adventure North and future plans really only seem to continue that trend.

A third gate will also more easily be hurt by the marquee attraction strategy that sees Universal's parks lacking in smaller experiences that presently can more easily be ignored through park hopping.

lazyboy97o

Aren't the Disney castle parks kinda "mishmashed" together? I mean, you have some connections between lands like around the RoA, but otherwise it's just a bunch of unrelated themes.
The genre/theme focus of the Disneyland model offers greater opportunity for a variety of stories and experiences within a land versus the single property and marquee attraction focus of the Islands of Adventure model.

GiveMeTheMusic

There was a time when Universal Studios Florida had its own identity, but since 1999 the Islands of Adventure concept has been applied to the Studios branded parks. At present it is just becoming more and more Islands of Adventure North and future plans really only seem to continue that trend.

A third gate will also more easily be hurt by the marquee attraction strategy that sees Universal's parks lacking in smaller experiences that presently can more easily be ignored through park hopping.

The Studios park is clearly moving away from the soundstage gosh-we're-makin'-a-movie aesthetic, which is fine by me. There's nothing weaker than the studios theme, and it's a great excuse to be cheap and build beige soundstages with minimal theming instead of fully realized environments.

I would like the Studios parks to really run with themed lands in addition to IP lands like Potter. A full, bustling San Francisco land as opposed to just one F&F ride that supposedly takes place in San Francisco.

But baby steps - who could have imagined Uni would be where it is now 10 years ago? They have a lot of growing to do.

brb1006

I been very obsessed with anything related to Shanghai Disney Resort lately. I'm still waiting for more announcements in the future. Mainly since I'm excited to see the new parade debuting once the resort opens. This old concept art shows the Mickey unit from Tokyo Disneyland's Jubilation parade being reused. But this was back in 2011 during the early stages of the construction of the park and before more stuff got announced. I did enjoy checking out the official Shanghai Disney website.
cas697634SMALL.jpg

BrerJon

This is exactly why dreams of a third gate don't excite me. I just don't see Universal actually truly embracing themed entertainment as a creative medium and thus don't expect much more than Islands of Adventure Part 3.

It's not like Disney exactly embraces themed entertainment in all it does though nowadays. Unless you count dance parties, preview theatres in Future World, Star Wars in old Hollywood... they do in DAK, but elsewhere it's a concept that seems often ignored or at least mishmashed with little thought. The same can not be said for Wizarding Worlds or Skull Islands.

StageFrenzy

Ride The Movies! The first IP to get away from idea that at studios will be Mario.

ETA They did make a Mario-ish movie..

lazyboy97o

It's not like Disney exactly embraces themed entertainment in all it does though nowadays. Unless you count dance parties, preview theatres in Future World, Star Wars in old Hollywood... they do in DAK, but elsewhere it's a concept that seems often ignored or at least mishmashed with little thought. The same can not be said for Wizarding Worlds or Skull Islands.
People need to stop viewing everything through the lense of some sort of binary. Being less than enthusiastic about Universal doesn't automatically mean being enthusiastic about Disney. The judgements are independent and unrelated.

culturenthrills

So, now that UNI has revealed some of the land they have contracts for near the convention center. The question is how much do they have locked up around Wet and Wild. Are they gonna try to takeover the corridor along Universal Blvd to expand their resort?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom