A Spirited Perfect Ten

Next Big Thing

I understand that but there's some bunch right on the horizon… I don't understand how THIS is the straw that breaks the camels back.

There's been so much Nicole and diming over the past several years. So much price couching. So much entertainment cut. Over and over again and somehow this is the dealbreaker for people?
It's just how people think. People will take the nickle and diming if they feel they are going to get their money's worth. For many people (i'm not one of them), a huge part of that was the Osborne lights.

Many don't pay attention to how this move will be a positive to the park's future. Most just see that their favorite holiday offering and justification for spending $5K every Christmas is now gone and nothing will change their mind about that.

Next Big Thing

I understand that but there's some bunch right on the horizon… I don't understand how THIS is the straw that breaks the camels back.

There's been so much Nicole and diming over the past several years. So much price couching. So much entertainment cut. Over and over again and somehow this is the dealbreaker for people?
Also, to add on to what I previously said, I think it has a lot to do with the rapid closures at DHS. I know it's shocking, but A LOT of people liked the BAH. then include BLT, Idol, Sparrow, Osborne, OMD, LMA and BATB, which even fans that aren't on forums know about because rumor articles from Theme Park Tourist get shared and they eventually see them. Plus the in your face Frozon-ification of DHS the past few years.

Add all of that together, and Osborne was the icing on the cake. They don't see a future, they see the park shutting down at this point and that's when people actually start to think, "Is it worth it for me to continue to spend this money?".

PhotoDave219

Also, to add on to what I previously said, I think it has a lot to do with the rapid closures at DHS. I know it's shocking, but A LOT of people liked the BAH. then include BLT, Idol, Sparrow, Osborne, OMD, LMA and BATB, which even fans that aren't on forums know about because rumor articles from Theme Park Tourist get shared and they eventually see them. Plus the in your face Frozon-ification of DHS the past few years.

Add all of that together, and Osborne was the icing on the cake. They don't see a future, they see the park shutting down at this point and that's when people actually start to think, "Is it worth it for me to continue to spend this money?".

It would help if some of the articles out there on theae click bait fan sites were accurate....

Next Big Thing

It would help if some of the articles out there on theae click bait fan sites were accurate....
Yes, but the demise of DHS is for the best if we're being honest. They let that park rot for years thinking the market was "mature". It's better to have some competition in town now and let Disney see that the market is still very much growing. They just need to actually try.

PhotoDave219

Yes, but the demise of DHS is for the best if we're being honest. They let that park rot for years thinking the market was "mature". It's better to have some competition in town now and let Disney see that the market is still very much growing. They just need to actually try.

Oh no doubt. In a few years, it should be the park to go to. Assuming they do it right....

71jason

Tales from the Mouse Side ...

Don't spend a lot of time here anymore, but for my old friends, a couple new stories that were too good not to share.

Cameras were recently installed in the restaurants at a certain signature hotel and over 30 CMs have been let-go. Typical infraction? Doing a Jean Valjean and eating a piece of bread after it was left on a table (not something I'd encourage, but these kids work 10-hour shifts).

Also, a glass of water is allowed -- but a terminable offense if you steal a slice of lemon or lime from the company and squeeze it in the glass!

Also, this was fought by the union and overturned, but initially CMs were told black coffee only--no cream, no sugar, or you're fired.

Chintzy by mom and pop standards. At a hotel that commands over $500/night? Laughable, like something out of Dilbert, except it actually happened.

71jason

It's just how people think. People will take the nickle and diming if they feel they are going to get their money's worth. For many people (i'm not one of them), a huge part of that was the Osborne lights.

Many don't pay attention to how this move will be a positive to the park's future. Most just see that their favorite holiday offering and justification for spending $5K every Christmas is now gone and nothing will change their mind about that.

If an AP goes to the park 6 times in a year--I imagine that's not far from the median--at least one of those times is Food & Wine, and another is Osborne Lights.

Nmoody1

Don't spend a lot of time here anymore, but for my old friends, a couple new stories that were too good not to share.

Cameras were recently installed in the restaurants at a certain signature hotel and over 30 CMs have been let-go. Typical infraction? Doing a Jean Valjean and eating a piece of bread after it was left on a table (not something I'd encourage, but these kids work 10-hour shifts).

Also, a glass of water is allowed -- but a terminable offense if you steal a slice of lemon or lime from the company and squeeze it in the glass!

Also, this was fought by the union and overturned, but initially CMs were told black coffee only--no cream, no sugar, or you're fired.

Chintzy by mom and pop standards. At a hotel that commands over $500/night? Laughable, like something out of Dilbert, except it actually happened.

Would this explain the awful service in Citric o's bar last night?!

PhotoDave219

Let me guess..... It's 100 yards away from my home away from home?

the.dreamfinder

I am brutally shocked by how many people that feel the world is ending because a Christmas lights show is ending.

I wonder how many of those people overlap with the "there's nothing to do at the studios" crowd?
I'm still surprised the DtD/Disney Springs folks haven't tried to snap them up for next year. It certainly would be a boon for all the new tenants there because of the interest in the lights.

asianway

Even though every office dwelling CM has access to Starbucks coffee with creamers and sweeteners?

asianway

The list of holiday things that have been removed, is a big deal though. My first Christmas trip was in 1998. Since then, this is what is no longer there

MK
Country Bear Holiday Show
Twas the Night Before Christmas Show
Seeing the Christmas Parade as the day parade more than a couple days before Christmas
Holiday Decor in Mickey & Minnie's Houses
Garlands across Main Street
I don't know how many random trees have been removed, I know Diamond Horseshoe and Liberty Tree Tavern used to have decorations, but I don't know if they still do those, or any other things I forgot.

Epcot
Lights of Winter
Gingerbread at American Adventure
Seeing Candlelight without effectively requiring a dinner package (friends from last year, said they only let 1 row of people from the non-dinner line in)

Studios
Train & Tree setup in front of the Theater
*Osborne Lights - going away
* unknown how the rest of the decor will change, I hope they keep the stars on Sunset

Animal Kingdom
Character Trees from Camp Minnie-Mickey
Jingle Parade

Elsewhere
The ornaments from the entrances to the golf courses
Gingerbread houses at each resort
Downtown Disney's tree (that tiny blue thing didn't last long)
I know the Contemporary's decor has changed quite a bit, I have a small picture of the metal trees they used to have in the lounge
I also have a picture of a fairly large tree at Riverside, but then the last time was a dinky little tree
Oh, on our honeymoon at French Quarter they had garlands on all the lamp posts

And this is before my time, but it probably is a loss for others the Glory and Pagentry of Christmas live nativity at the Marketplace which according to the boycott websites, ran for 17 years.

And just the awe of how much was put up in a 24 hour period. Now they stretch it out for weeks. The WL tree might go up in one night still, but so much doesn't.

Lots of people say "there's nothing better than WDW at Christmas," and at one point that was true, but is it still?
They used to do a tree lighting show at the MK too.

Cesar R M

Plus, people can easily ignore "things that don't affect them," or "things I don't like." But when they get rid of "your thing." then things change and sometimes suddenly all those other things take on new meaning.
in before someone comes again with the " BUT DISNEY IS A BUSINESS!" .
Reminds me of that guy who had a very interesting way of defending Disney a week or so ago in the pirates thread.

Cesar R M

So, the Mouse enslaves both people INSIDE the work(cms) area and OUTSIDE (as hypnotized guests?) lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom