A Spirited Perfect Ten

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I would guess that you never stood in line waiting to buy a ticket for the bullet train. Tiny little, very old people would sooner knock you down and run you over then to let you "stay" in front of them. Push, shove and jump in front of you was my experience. I'm not buying the culture crap. I wasn't offended by it, but, I sure wouldn't have given it any peace prize either. They weren't a truly evil, mean and ruthless people during WW2, because their polite and respectful nature was showing though.

maybe they were chinese little old tourists. I'm serious. I had a horrible experience at a store in Akihabara...my friend and I were just walking around and these extremely rude people were just getting in front of us, moving where we wanted to go, etc.....then I saw they all had chinese passports (the store gave discounts for foreigners).

Goofyernmost

maybe they were chinese little old tourists. I'm serious. I had a horrible experience at a store in Akihabara...my friend and I were just walking around and these extremely rude people were just getting in front of us, moving where we wanted to go, etc.....then I saw they all had chinese passports (the store gave discounts for foreigners).
No, they were Japanese, but, in all fairness, it was 40 years ago. It wasn't really confined to older people either, but, they were a large part of it. Maybe it all has changed now. It was like that in Osaka during the 1970 Worlds Fair as well.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Tom Staggs spoke to the Merrill Lynch 2015 Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference this morning and touched on many of the topics that have been speculated on here and the other boards. Another site that I don't think I can link to has a great rundown, but some highlights (courtesy of that site):
- Disney is and will continue to repurchase stock to benefit shareholders and upped their plans during recent downturn
- Disney's not worried about Shanghai despite China economy because it is a long-term investment and more than 330 million "income qualified" residents live within a 3 hour drive of park.
- Disney also is considering future expansion in China beyond Shanghai
- Star Wars Land construction will start in 2016 for both parks! Both SW lands will feature a cantina and allow guests to pilot the Millennium Falcon. He would not give an opening date, of course.
- Toy Story Land will open before Star Wars (no surprise, but first time I've heard that mentioned by Disney)
- Disney is working on more Marvel projects beyond Hong Kong, but not ready to disclose
- Disney has 11 franchise with over $1 billion in retail sales

It appears that we are still on the same tired old track of TWDC depending on financial engineering instead of creating new products and services and investing in their parks

Instead they run WDW in a manner suggestive of going out of business sale

It looks increasingly like the best hope for WDW is for it to be sold and run by someone like OLC

Cousin Huet

Since television is one of the hundred beloved subjects in Spirits threads...

I'm intrigued by Colbert's new Late Show. Tonight felt like he's hitting his stride. It seems like he's trying to do thoughtful interviews which is welcome -- I keep thinking he wants the interviews to be more substantive like what Tom Snyder or **** Cavett used to do. I'm not sure that'll work in the long run, but I'm eager to see him try it.

But one thing's clear from the first few episodes: Colbert would never cut it at ABC or NBC. He's like the complete opposite of what a Disney/Comcast talk show host needs to be. Not sure he'd welcome being a brand spokesman above all else.

His session with Biden should have had a title......"Joe Biden for President" as his questions were very in-depth......"tell me, Joe, how are you so awesome day to day?" and "When faced with many challenges that only you face how do you handle them in such and awesome manner?" I know he is far from a journalist and I typically like his act even though I disagree with his agenda most of the time but that was tough to watch. It was on par with the joke that was Sarah Palin "interviewing" the republican candidates. I only saw those because the media put out clips making fun of it. Colbert could have done a similar interview with Biden where he gave him a forum to talk about the tragedy of losing his son and what a great man his son was without the weird political endorsement tied into that. It was really icky to tie that in with the political endorsement and it made Biden visibly uncomfortable too. It was just a really odd session to watch unfold in my opinion.

That being said I hope he does well and takes a different approach going forward because the others are unwatchable now.

stevehousse

I'm all for their removal if it means that park is getting updated sooner rather than later. It'll be sad to see them go, but it's for the best interest of the park. It would be nice to see them repurposed in some capacity in the future though.

With all the growth of Disney Springs, I could honestly see these light coming to the shopping center as a way to entice guests to Disney springs $$$ New offerings in a year or two once duly completed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am brutally shocked by how many people that feel the world is ending because a Christmas lights show is ending.

I wonder how many of those people overlap with the "there's nothing to do at the studios" crowd?

It's because of WDW recent history of removing things without replacing them. People think I have a little black book where I write down everything wrong I find. Actually it's green and I've written what has changed at WDW each time I visit. It used to be that things were added each visit. But since the Iger era began its been one long list of deletions of attractions, shows and menu items

Of late only AK has had a net increase over time of things to do and that's only because Joe Rohde loves the place and protects it.

The rest of WDW has been a net negative for a long time.

I really don't watch the park announcements I watch the financials of TWDC and they are saying more of the same tired formula of buying back shares and starving WDW of needed capex while spending wildly overseas to prop up poorly thought out park investments first DLP and now SDL

hopemax

The list of holiday things that have been removed, is a big deal though. My first Christmas trip was in 1998. Since then, this is what is no longer there

MK
Country Bear Holiday Show
Twas the Night Before Christmas Show
Seeing the Christmas Parade as the day parade more than a couple days before Christmas
Holiday Decor in Mickey & Minnie's Houses
Garlands across Main Street
I don't know how many random trees have been removed, I know Diamond Horseshoe and Liberty Tree Tavern used to have decorations, but I don't know if they still do those, or any other things I forgot.

Epcot
Lights of Winter
Gingerbread at American Adventure
Seeing Candlelight without effectively requiring a dinner package (friends from last year, said they only let 1 row of people from the non-dinner line in)

Studios
Train & Tree setup in front of the Theater
*Osborne Lights - going away
* unknown how the rest of the decor will change, I hope they keep the stars on Sunset

Animal Kingdom
Character Trees from Camp Minnie-Mickey
Jingle Parade

Elsewhere
The ornaments from the entrances to the golf courses
Gingerbread houses at each resort
Downtown Disney's tree (that tiny blue thing didn't last long)
I know the Contemporary's decor has changed quite a bit, I have a small picture of the metal trees they used to have in the lounge
I also have a picture of a fairly large tree at Riverside, but then the last time was a dinky little tree
Oh, on our honeymoon at French Quarter they had garlands on all the lamp posts

And this is before my time, but it probably is a loss for others the Glory and Pagentry of Christmas live nativity at the Marketplace which according to the boycott websites, ran for 17 years.

And just the awe of how much was put up in a 24 hour period. Now they stretch it out for weeks. The WL tree might go up in one night still, but so much doesn't.

Lots of people say "there's nothing better than WDW at Christmas," and at one point that was true, but is it still?

GiveMeTheMusic

The list of holiday things that have been removed, is a big deal though. My first Christmas trip was in 1998. Since then, this is what is no longer there

MK
Country Bear Holiday Show
Twas the Night Before Christmas Show
Seeing the Christmas Parade as the day parade more than a couple days before Christmas
Holiday Decor in Mickey & Minnie's Houses
Garlands across Main Street
I don't know how many random trees have been removed, I know Diamond Horseshoe and Liberty Tree Tavern used to have decorations, but I don't know if they still do those, or any other things I forgot.

Epcot
Lights of Winter
Gingerbread at American Adventure
Seeing Candlelight without effectively requiring a dinner package (friends from last year, said they only let 1 row of people from the non-dinner line in)

Studios
Train & Tree setup in front of the Theater
*Osborne Lights - going away
* unknown how the rest of the decor will change, I hope they keep the stars on Sunset

Animal Kingdom
Character Trees from Camp Minnie-Mickey
Jingle Parade

Elsewhere
The ornaments from the entrances to the golf courses
Gingerbread houses at each resort
Downtown Disney's tree (that tiny blue thing didn't last long)
I know the Contemporary's decor has changed quite a bit, I have a small picture of the metal trees they used to have in the lounge
I also have a picture of a fairly large tree at Riverside, but then the last time was a dinky little tree
Oh, on our honeymoon at French Quarter they had garlands on all the lamp posts

And this is before my time, but it probably is a loss for others the Glory and Pagentry of Christmas live nativity at the Marketplace which according to the boycott websites, ran for 17 years.

And just the awe of how much was put up in a 24 hour period. Now they stretch it out for weeks. The WL tree might go up in one night still, but so much doesn't.

Lots of people say "there's nothing better than WDW at Christmas," and at one point that was true, but is it still?

It hasn't been true for years. DLR took the Christmas crown some time ago.

Cesar R M

I know, I just wanted to complain.
RKSJ9Bg.jpg

jk lol! XD

Next Big Thing

Since television is one of the hundred beloved subjects in Spirits threads...

I'm intrigued by Colbert's new Late Show. Tonight felt like he's hitting his stride. It seems like he's trying to do thoughtful interviews which is welcome -- I keep thinking he wants the interviews to be more substantive like what Tom Snyder or **** Cavett used to do. I'm not sure that'll work in the long run, but I'm eager to see him try it.

But one thing's clear from the first few episodes: Colbert would never cut it at ABC or NBC. He's like the complete opposite of what a Disney/Comcast talk show host needs to be. Not sure he'd welcome being a brand spokesman above all else.
Well he picked the right network then because the CBS "brand" doesn't go far beyond television anyway. It's basically all TV (CBS, Showtime, viacom channels, etc). The only in with movies they have is Paramount and most of their movies are only distribution deals (they also ventured into a failed theme park attempt).

Colbert is much more about about getting down to the nitty gritty while bringing a sense of humor to the conversation. He isn't a sell out. Tbh, I don't think Kimmel is much of one either (maybe on the rare occasion). Fallon is a huge fake and sell out though.

HauntedMansionFLA

I am brutally shocked by how many people that feel the world is ending because a Christmas lights show is ending.

I wonder how many of those people overlap with the "there's nothing to do at the studios" crowd?
It means, to me, that Disney is getting its act together (hopefully) and getting things moving regarding Star Wars Land. The park has some of the best rides - Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Rockin' Roller Coaster and several excellent shows to take in. Plus, the park has lots of details in that one can in while enjoying the park.

Next Big Thing

An acquaintance of mine said they weren't renewing their AP because of it.

I think that says a lot about how the GP is taking this news as he was mostly a "fair-weather" park goer. Went and loved it because it was Disney, but the increasing prices have been driving him away and this is the final nail for him right now.

PhotoDave219

An acquaintance of mine said they weren't renewing their AP because of it.

I think that says a lot about how the GP is taking this news as he was mostly a "fair-weather" park goer. Went and loved it because it was Disney, but the increasing prices have been driving him away and this is the final nail for him right now.

I understand that but there's some bunch right on the horizon… I don't understand how THIS is the straw that breaks the camels back.

There's been so much Nicole and diming over the past several years. So much price couching. So much entertainment cut. Over and over again and somehow this is the dealbreaker for people?

NearTheEars

I understand that but there's some bunch right on the horizon… I don't understand how THIS is the straw that breaks the camels back.

There's been so much Nicole and diming over the past several years. So much price couching. So much entertainment cut. Over and over again and somehow this is the dealbreaker for people?

I heart your voice text. Always cheers me up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom