A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

Disney doesn't announce actual gate counts. Even TEA calls its figures estimates. Disney doesn't explain the entire first click deal. It doesn't say whether cast comps are counted. Whether hard ticket events (now about 50-60 nights a year) are included.

I will never believe that the MK sees more people annually than TDL does. I just won't. ... and those 10 million alleged visitors at TPFKaTD-MGMS?!?! Sure. Those numbers are real ...

I had to ask one of my bothans.... Yes, Hard Ticket Events are included in that Day's attendance.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Conversely, were it not for the connections to the rest of the Marvel 'verse...I would have no great interest in any of the films.

Despite your image of me as a Marvel fanboy, that couldn't be further from the truth. Take away the connections to the larger story and I'm completely "meh" about the films. (Except the first Cap film. I'm a sucker for the wartime period.)

It sounds like the Marvel fanboi doth protests too much. You must by definition be a fanboi of the MCU if you only care about a film as it fits into the entire world of Marvel. I like taking my movies one at a time and viewing them based on their own merits. I'm not committing to 123 films no matter how much Kevin, Bob and Co want me to. After the last Captain American, I won't see the next if I have to actually pay for it.

I'm not looking to wrap myself up with a decade-long (or longer) commitment to film viewing. I suspect most people feel the same way.

Maybe if they'd start tying all the Pixar movies together I'd want to see them...

That's just the thing, Pixar has achieved cinematic greatness often largely because it doesn't tie its films together or to a formula beyond great storytelling. Sure, you have a franchise with Toy Story and a few sequels. But Up is no Toy Story is no Ratatouille is no Wall*E is no Inside Out etc.

the.dreamfinder

Ask Bryan Singer
It's funny you mention Singer because Feige got his start at Marvel as an Assistant Producer to Lauren Shuler Donner on the first "X-Men" after having worked for her for 2-3 years prior. He then made the jump to Marvel to be one of their go between producers who would work with the producing studio (Sony, Fox, Uni, etc). I'm not sure about anything murky in his ascension other than he is well liked by Ike Perlmutter.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seems it's just me, but I'm getting a little tired of that trope. Every Disney (and Pixar for that matter) animated film released since, like, 2010 tries overly hard to make audiences "feel" and it's getting a little too predictable.

If a film makes you feel something (beyond stupidity for paying to see it), then it is succeeding.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I’m sure I won’t.

It doesn’t make a lot of sense though when TDL has more capacity than MK, yet MK closes to capacity a handful times a year where TDL closes to capacity a handful of times a month and they have the same number of dead days which is very small barring a severe weather event. Quite a conundrum.

TDL also has significantly larger capacity due to its added attractions, food venues (probably double the MK) and retail. It is not unusual to see TDL have 6-7 attractions with waits of multil-hours. MK is considered crazy busy when two attractions hit two hour waits with a handful of others at an hour or more. I just don't get how MK could possibly outdraw TDL unless the numbers are being manipulated. I just don't.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Intern for the producer of the original X-Men movies that got promoted to associate producer on that because he was a Marvel geek with an extensive knowledge of the lore. X-Men's success ended up impressing Avi Arad and he's been one of the bigwigs of Marvel's film arm ever since.

Yes, that's the public story. The real story is usually far more entertaining and insightful.

Bairstow

TDL also has significantly larger capacity due to its added attractions, food venues (probably double the MK) and retail. It is not unusual to see TDL have 6-7 attractions with waits of multil-hours. MK is considered crazy busy when two attractions hit two hour waits with a handful of others at an hour or more. I just don't get how MK could possibly outdraw TDL unless the numbers are being manipulated. I just don't.

Demographics and guest behavior would both be plausible explanations.
If every man, woman, and child that came into the Magic Kingdom was determined to spend 90% of the their day either on a ride or in a queue, and was old enough to persist in doing this for most of the operating day, wait times would be significantly different.

truecoat

No, it's because I know many people that work in the industry and having lived in LA, I'm used to always staying thru the credits of every film I see to look for names. I view it as a sign of respect for the people who made the film. In LA, everyone stays. Until these little 'extras' started appearing in films (maybe a decade ago?) most folks ran for the exits before the music even began playing. Even now, a good 40% or so will leave immediately and not wait. They actually seem ****ed when you are on the aisle (as I always am) and you aren't getting up.

I kid, I kid. I figured as much. I just wanted to see if someone called me out on Love Theme from Ant-man.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The pay differential between US and Germany applies to mid level and hourly workers. The large difference applies to the executive level where US executives make exceedingly more than their German conterparts. Executive compensation disparity the cause of a great deal of friction within what was DaimlerChrysler.

I've noted before that US executive compensation is not merely excessive it's obscene and it's amazing company results are almost the inverse of the executive pay packet ie companies with less generously compensated executives seem have far better results than those with bloated pay packages.

Rodan75

Yes, that's the public story. The real story is usually far more entertaining and insightful.

Please tell me you aren't trying to insinuate that Kevin Feige got his start via an inappropriate relationship with Singer. That is ridiculous.

The number one reason that Kevin got a shot is because Avi lost the trust of Ike and the other Marvel leaders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom