A Spirited Perfect Ten

Prog

how so?
the girl was abused by a racist mother and another little kid.

adults are the ones who push their hate and engrain it into kids.
Noone is born racist.
There's a difference between what you said here, and "adults with serious mental issues are the bane of humanity."
But I assume "No one is born racist" is the sentiment that you meant to express in the original post, so carry on.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just back from a showing of Inside Out and before I get to some quick thoughts, I wanted to tag @skubersky here.

If I'm understanding things correctly, the Orlando Weekly (the No. 2 publication in O-Town after the Sentinel) is refused credentials by TWDC to attend any of its official 'media' events, openings, press conferences etc?

See, if I'm you, Seth, (or the organization) I'm running a MAJOR front-page piece on ''Playing Ball with the Rat'' ... I'm delving into who they credential as media and why they refuse to credential my LEGIT journalistic outlet. O-Town is a company town. Disney is the giant 800-pound rat in the room. Sure, you have others like UNI, SEAS and Darden, but it all starts and ends with Mickey's Minions (and Billions).

If Disney isn't going to be professional in the least bit because you and your organization are going to have ethics and standards and not simply provide de facto PR/propaganda for Cupcake (and the more high level folks like Jackie or Bryan) and Co, then why not NAIL them for it?!

What does your publication have to lose? And don't they have it coming?

It would go national ... hell, it would go international if done right.

Bottom line, you stop inviting legit media when you've lost all confidence in your product and you know it isn't what it should be.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, Inside Out.

Loved it. An absolutely great film by Pete and Crew.

One of Pixar's best.

It's certainly a cerebral type film, the writing was absolutely phenomenal (love the line near the end with Bing Bong -- will he be Ping Pong at SDL? -- talking about facts and opinions as it would fit so well on one of my threads here), and the animation remains the best in the business.

Unlike recent efforts like Cars 2 and Brave, which fell into the Disney trap of being films for kids that adults may like, Inside Out most definitely isn't a kids film. I'm not even sure I'd advise anyone taking anyone under the age of 6-7. It's most definitely a film that delves into our psyches and why we FEEL the way we do. But done in such a colorful and fun way. It's not a happy film, but it's a serious film about what makes us happy and sad and why they're both important. And still it has a happy ending ... relatively.

It's also great to see Pixar make a film where the main character is a girl, and a complex one at that!

My biggest complaint, and it's a small one because this is one of the finest films Pixar ever has put out and will be walking away with the Oscar, is that the film might have benefited from an extra 10-12 minutes of run time to further explain .... well, things.

But it's being very nit-picky. And when so much deserves legit criticism in the entertainment world, I have a hard time saying anything other than this is a great piece of film making. You can't compare more simple fare like Frozen to this beyond talking box office.

Also, loved Lava, the short before it. I wonder when they'll have mugs for that at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have reason to be more optimistic, yes. I have been led astray before as well. Also.... The Board still has to say "YES!"

I haven't heard anything about Marvel at DCA.

Edit: 12:35 AM and I have conflicting sources. DAMMIT. I hate this. Never-f'n-mind.

It's a done deal, Dave.

As to Marvel at DCA, that is happening too ... but to what extent I'm not sure.

When I see that thread has gone from 13 pages last night to 35-plus now, I don't even know whether to wade in.
Oh, but I am sure someone else here was going to break that news and all!;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Bob Iger is a lot of bad things... but one thing I don't doubt is his ability to get the BOD to say yes. He is their golden boy.

The Marvel proclamations originate with @1023 and @WDW1974... and truly a ton of credit to the MiceAge crew (I'm patiently waiting for them to chime in from the months of radio silence).

He is that.

And I give full credit to Miceage. They broke the news on Marvel. Not me, not 1023, not anyone else. ... I just was able to independently confirm.

Speaking of Miceage, you are correct, they have been very silent for months now of anything of substance beyond DL's 60th. I wonder if Al's old sources have gone on extended vacations!

WDW1974

Original Poster
As solid as the recent WDAS films have been (and I'm particularly very high on Wreck It Ralph), they lack the ambition that many Pixar films have.

Bingo.

Look at any of the recent films like Tangled, Wreck it Ralph or Frozen. They aren't very deep at all. They don't aim to be. ... The big selling point of Frozen is that it's a love story with a Princess and a Queen ... who are sisters versus a Happily Ever After/Some Day My Prince Will Come love story.

It's still so ... so ... simple.

Most Pixar films aren't. The best ones certainly are not. Inside Out is Pixar at its best.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I absolutely hated the way the show ended, but this piece in particular was beautiful. This was a legendary piece of television composition.

I must just chime in here and say that I loved Lost, knew/know many folks associated with it, and while not thrilled with the ending, also wasn't raving mad about it like some were. This show was truly about the journey for all the characters, but I'm not looking to have my 1,976th Lost tangent thread here. It's over and done and was a great ride while it lasted.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, to be honest...
this thread as repeated the same thing about Frozen on Norway nonstop.
Yet people cant fathom how its a bad idea.
Almost feels like people join just to troll about it. (because the answers are a sure thing)

Nah, that's as crazy as saying there are individuals here who seriously are delusional enough to believe I have a BRAND and they can harm it with potshots and drivebys ... or the folks in the Twitverse who advertise their lives to the world so they can be whores for Disney and then are upset when people talk about it. No grasp whatsoever of media, social media and keeping private what you wish to isn't done by placing it on a Twit Feed where anyone can read it -- and, yes, judge you for it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I could see this as a modern version of Cranium Command if they were ever to open the WoL pavilion again. Sad to see the current state of Epcot.

EDIT: Looks like someone already stated this in an earlier post.

Yep, forgot to mention that after seeing the film I absolutely think Inside Out would work in either WoL or Imagination, IF done right and not cheaply.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I realize a lot of out-of-towners probably don't realize who "skubersky" is ... this ^ means the "theme park beat" reporter for the #2 paper in Orlando can't get credentialed for Disney media events. Yeah, it's a weekly, but it covers legit local news in-depth and has often broken stories. I would argue their coverage of local government and the Orlando arts scene is better than the Sentinel.

Instead, Disney invites some midwest blogger with a couple hundred hits.

ETA: I mean, the Mayor of Orlando gave the Weekly what had to be a 2-hour interview this month. How is there not an open invite for one of their reporters to media events?

I just tagged Seth here, Jason. But I completely agree with you. I've asked Seth why he and/or others at the OW haven't simply gone on the attack against Disney. They could be exposed ... their whole social media/propaganda apparatus IF they went for blood.

I see nothing to lose whatsoever, unless Disney has serious blackmail material on folks there (yes, I am waiting to hear from my friends how corps like Disney don't ever engage in that sort of behavior!)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yep, forgot to mention that after seeing the film I absolutely think Inside Out would work in either WoL or Imagination, IF done right and not cheaply.
Fixed that for you (unless you meant as an EO replacement or an enhanced Imageworks style attraction.

But, otherwise...
maxresdefault.jpg

LEAVE FIGGY ALONE!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have not been just dropping in random comments. They have almost all be responses. If you don't want a response from someone then don't quote and directly comment.

Except that you are repeating the same line over and over. I get (and likely everyone here gets) that your opinion is that nothing happening with Shanghai is any different than the bumps that have occurred with every international (or even domestic) park opening.

That is NOT the case. You want to repeat yourself? I'll repeat myself.

I'm not going to say that Baha Mar is not a total mess. It is. But knowing about that project doesn't validate thoughts on a completely different project. It doesn't prove that cost overruns and delays on Shanghai Disney Resort are anything more than the stumbling that Disney does right here, but magnified in scale.

It actually has so, so much to do with Disney's situation.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Haven't posted here in a long time, but always reading. I see Bob Iger is in Orlando this week! Hey, so was my family. We stayed at a DVC "Deluxe" Villa (booked through Disney, we're not DVC). It was really hot this week down there, whew! Nothing like a Central Florida heatwave to get you in the mood for summer. You know what was a super feature of the "Deluxe" villa though...The motion sensors that controlled the air conditioner unit for the villa. Apparently, when you don't move, you know, like when you are sleeping, after 20 minutes the thermostat reverts to a higher setback temperature which is determined by the hotel and is SECRET.

Here's how our nights went. Set thermostat to 70 degrees, go to bed, all is well. Fall asleep. One hour later, wake up in a hot sweat. Get up, go to the bathroom, trigger the motion sensor, cool air starts blasting. Fall back asleep, one-two hours later wake up in a sweat. Rinse and repeat. All. Night. Long.

Day One, we thought that we were just not used to the room. After Day Two, we were like what the heck. A quick google search of the "SensorStat DDC" thermostat, apparently the bane of travelers everywhere, and all was revealed. Tried the override hack, didn't work. The setback temperature must have been set high by Disney, I'm thinking at least 75. So Resort-y!

So after two nights of this, we called the "front desk." They put us through to housekeeping. The person in housekeeping listened to our complaint and put in a work order. We went to the parks, came back, villa felt warm. Called housekeeping and were told that the request was completed. Go to bed, same thing happens, hot cold hot cold. We wake up at 3 am and decide to leave. Not leave the hotel, we need to leave Orlando. Now. We change our flights and we are in the rental car heading back to MCO at 7 am for an early flight back to Jersey.

Honestly, the worst part is the mind games and the lying. If WDW wants to just put a lock on the thermostats like my slumlord did in college, that's one thing. At least I would know what I was dealing with. But to keep showing a lower number, while in the background it's going back to this secret higher setback temperature is just messed up. And I won't even get into the "work order" and assurance that it was completed.

Anyway, I can 100% declare that this experience has swore me off Disney hotels forever, so maybe it was not all for naught.

I would have gone to the front desk demanded to speak to the resort GM and ask one question: "When Bob Iger and Willow Bay are at WDW, do they have control of their own climate or is it governed by your leadership to save money in any way possible?''

I'm generally of the Fight mindset when given an option of Fight vs. Flight.

FWIW, 'Angie' and I had the same issue at DAK Lodge Villas in 2013, but it never got that bad. I do think I was able to override it.

But I'd flat out smash the thing off the wall if that was what it's going to take. Disney doesn't get to determine what temp I sleep in (it needs to be under 72, preferably right around 68-70). I am a DVC 'owner' and all ... it amazes me that DVC owners haven't demanded the things get removed.

Longhairbear

I would have gone to the front desk demanded to speak to the resort GM and ask one question: "When Bob Iger and Willow Bay are at WDW, do they have control of their own climate or is it governed by your leadership to save money in any way possible?''

I'm generally of the Fight mindset when given an option of Fight vs. Flight.

FWIW, 'Angie' and I had the same issue at DAK Lodge Villas in 2013, but it never got that bad. I do think I was able to override it.

But I'd flat out smash the thing off the wall if that was what it's going to take. Disney doesn't get to determine what temp I sleep in (it needs to be under 72, preferably right around 68-70). I am a DVC 'owner' and all ... it amazes me that DVC owners haven't demanded the things get removed.
It's my understanding that many have complained, and nothing ever changes. I've done the ballon thing in the past. Makes me laugh thinking housekeeping comes in for trash and towel, and keep finding balloons tied to a chair in every unit.

Tony Perkis

Bingo.

Look at any of the recent films like Tangled, Wreck it Ralph or Frozen. They aren't very deep at all. They don't aim to be. ... The big selling point of Frozen is that it's a love story with a Princess and a Queen ... who are sisters versus a Happily Ever After/Some Day My Prince Will Come love story.

Most Pixar films aren't. The best ones certainly are not. Inside Out is Pixar at its best.
Finally saw Inside Out today. What a ballsy, heartbreaking film. Pete Doctor doesn't make things easy on audiences.

Pixar films, at their best, can be entertaining to children, but emotionally and thematically draining and rewarding to adults. That's why they're on another level compared to other animation studios.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Personally i'd rather something in WoL based on Inside Out... as sad as Imagination is, the last thing Epcot needs right now is more attraction re-do's. The park needs to gain back capacity/rides, not simply continue to keep fixing up existing rides (although Journey definitely needs it).

Is there any chance WoL gets used in the future for something like this do you think?

EPCOTCenterLover

My biggest complaint, and it's a small one because this is one of the finest films Pixar ever has put out and will be walking away with the Oscar, is that the film might have benefited from an extra 10-12 minutes of run time to further explain .... well, things.

I think you hit the nail on the head for me. Its a good and deep film, but it needed something more- and a good dose of fun seemed missing to help drive home the complexity of it all. In my opinion, when a film seems to focus on only one range of emotions without much contrast, it gets redundant and loses the point it was trying to make. Maybe a director's cut on the DVD?

RivieraJenn

Bingo.

And yet, with Frozen, they had all the makings of a complex story right there at their fingertips. Elsa was poised to be an incredibly complex character--an isolated, emotionally abused child who is terrified of her own capacity to harm the people she loves, thrust into the role of leading a country. There's a lot of fodder there for complexity. But they chose to spend most of the movie on the happy-go-lucky sister and the child-like snowman...

I'm looking forward to seeing Inside Out on Thursday, though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom