A Spirited Perfect Ten

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the whole Satellite Falls pool area is sorta wasted up there, though. It's not a pool. It's not a jacuzzi. And if you want a drink, you need to wait until someone walks by. But you are right on all other points. I think that whole area should have been an adults only pool area ... unfortunately, the private concierge area (and who buys concierge on a cruise?!! I just don't get that at all!) takes up a large chunk of real estate.

This past cruise there were less problems with kiddies up front.. last year it was noticeable. On Concierge... the benefit is all in the pre-cruise phase.. early access, someone handles it all for you, check-in, etc. Of course there is the lounge and deck area, but the bulk of it is the pre-cruise phase.

On the forward deck... what I like about it is you are out in the open, but still have lots of shade opportunities and almost zero contention for space. I've found the waiter coverage quite reasonable. On the pool, yes, its one of those 'dipping' pools but lets you cool off if needed.

I'm more of an 'escape the commotion' guy.. so that's why I prefer the forward deck. And I don't need a hottub... I'm completely sold on the rainforest experience. Buy the week pass and escape to the steam rooms and hot tub up there. I spent nearly all my 'deck time' in the spa this cruise.

Here's a 1%'er tip for you... the spa locker rooms have a GREAT simple steam room in them. Head into the spa to 'goto the gym' and instead just hit the steam room in the locker room :)

Dads 2 Boys

@WDW1974 With the nearing completion of Shanghai, have you heard any rumblings of Giant Pandas coming to AK? I heard a while back that it was part of the agreement for Disney building a them park in China

dupac

Oh, I watched Agent Carter. Liked it very much.:D
But of course, I'm big fan of giant, interconnected storylines and pre/postwar time frames.

12 Monkeys...looks interesting, but hopefully not quite as...odd...as the movie was. I recall it being a tad...bewildering.

Biding my time until Blacklist, Walking Dead, The Following, Game of Thrones...
You mean you're not watching Galavant?? ;)

WildcatDen

Oh, please don't encourage him. His minor celebrity status already makes dining with him inconvenient, what with the constant line of fanbois wanting an autograph. When he is "dressed" it's a veritable Meet and Grope.
But I have to acknowledge when acknowledgement is due, right? You know, golfer's talk about their dream foursome (no jokes here, please) and mine would consist of Jack Nicklaus, Bobby Jones, and my Grandfather ( a tee time that will have to wait until we hit the Heaven's Links as two of those individuals are already playing with John the Baptist). . . I digress, the point is, my dream WDW Magic Dinner Party would be @Lee, @marni1971, @WDW1974, and @wdwmagic Steve himself with @whylightbulb showing up late with a delicious rumor. I wonder if Mr Ruby would comp us at one of his many fine establishments here in the 'Nati????

Disneyhead'71

But I have to acknowledge when acknowledgement is due, right? You know, golfer's talk about their dream foursome (no jokes here, please) and mine would consist of Jack Nicklaus, Bobby Jones, and my Grandfather ( a tee time that will have to wait until we hit the Heaven's Links as two of those individuals are already playing with John the Baptist). . . I digress, the point is, my dream WDW Magic Dinner Party would be @Lee, @marni1971, @WDW1974, and @wdwmagic Steve himself with @whylightbulb showing up late with a delicious rumor. I wonder if Mr Ruby would comp us at one of his many fine establishments here in the 'Nati????
That would definitely be a worthy upcharge Dinner Event. I would do that before a Lion King Dinner.

RSoxNo1

@WDW1974 With the nearing completion of Shanghai, have you heard any rumblings of Giant Pandas coming to AK? I heard a while back that it was part of the agreement for Disney building a them park in China
I pointedly asked Joe Rohde this question at the 2013 D23 Expo. He basically said that as a "for profit" institution it creates additional hurdles for them.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The Asian parks were never looked at for SW stuff originally. OLC flat out doesn't want it and the leadership in China isn't hot on it either ( no coincidence that the ST expansion pad in HKDL is being developed right now as the Iron Man Experience).
Why no love for Star Tours from OLC and China? Any particular reason for all the red tape, i.e. politics, money, bad blood, or they just flat out dont like it? Star Tours seems popular in Tokyo and surely the new films will make money and sell merch so why risk missing the boat?

and for what its worth, knowing this will be your last thread for awhile is like the last day of a Disney trip, you know the end is near and its just more difficult to enjoy as the clock ticks down. My morning coffee will not be the same without a '74 thread to catch up on.

BoarderPhreak

You'd be hard pressed to find a major movie in at least the past 2 years that hasn't been available online within a month of it's release. This is the nature of movies nowadays, and the industry isn't collapsing. All they can do is make sure it's not TOO easy to get. The path of least resistance is to pay to see it legally, so that's what most people who really want to see it will do.
A month? Most movies are out as torrents before the theaters even get their copy. ;)

bhg469

Oh, I watched Agent Carter. Liked it very much.:D
But of course, I'm big fan of giant, interconnected storylines and pre/postwar time frames.

12 Monkeys...looks interesting, but hopefully not quite as...odd...as the movie was. I recall it being a tad...bewildering.

Biding my time until Blacklist, Walking Dead, The Following, Game of Thrones...
Winter is still coming. My frozen face is proof.

PhotoDave219

I pointedly asked Joe Rohde this question at the 2013 D23 Expo. He basically said that as a "for profit" institution it creates additional hurdles for them.

I've had conversations with people in regards to the exact same question and gotten the exact same answer.

They elaborated in the sense that there's no way the Chinese government would ever allow pandas to go to a for-profit institution…

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Parks and Resorts has become 100% risk averse because they still view Parks and Resorts as mature. The financials are so delicate that they feel they can't afford the slightest misstep. Despite all that, a $1.6 billion investment in Next Gen has yielded next to nothing. Any one of us on this site could have better spent that money in the parks.

You have executives afraid to take risks, and Imagineers that now live to cater to these executives. This means unimaginative, safe projects. A major Star Wars expansion should have been green lit as soon as the ink was dry on the Lucas contract. Fixing Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios should have been green lit as soon as Disney execs saw this pictures:
wwohp.jpg

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f194861e970b-800wi.jpg

Instead, you get guys like Bruce Vaughn leading the charge. Making statements at D23 like, "bring it on!" He's just as delusional as the executives living quarter to quarter. I know he's the red headed step child around here, but I need to steal a paragraph from Jim Hill's series of Beastly Kingdom articles that are 14+ years old:

You see, Disney CEO Michael Eisner is a very competitive guy. He hates to lose -- at anything. If attendance at WDW started to noticeably slip due to the Mouse losing customers to Universal's new theme park, Michael would have to do something. Eisner's enormous ego just wouldn't be able to handle the idea of Disney being No. 2 in the Orlando market.

So he'd turn to the Imagineers and say: "Make the best attractions you can."

Not "Make the best attraction you can on a limited budget." (i.e.: WDI's recent controversial rehab of Epcot's "Journey into Imagination" ride. During its three months of operation, the revamped version of that Future World attraction racked up more guest complaints than most shows produce in a year.)

Not "Make the best attraction you can with minimal changes to the pre-existing ride building." (i.e.: The Magic Kingdom's "Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin" actually runs its ride vehicles along the very same track and layout the building's previous tenants -- Delta's "Dreamflight" and the unsponsored "Take Flight" -- used.)

Not "Make the best attraction that reflects the sponsor's agenda" (i.e.: Any exhibit you'll find inside either version of "Innoventions.")

Just "Make the best attractions you can." Period.

Look at Epcot, the two new things going to that park are shoehorning Frozen into an existing facility that doesn't fit it, and Soarin' 2.0. As an Imagineer how, can you possibly get excited about creating some of this stuff? Disney is putting the least amount of effort behind these additions in what is wholly uninspiring. If they can't get behind their own innovation, why should fans?

When was the last time Imagineering was told to "Make the best attractions you can"?
You make a lot of very solid points in this post, which most objective fans would find hard to dispute.

tribbleorlfl

I've had conversations with people in regards to the exact same question and gotten the exact same answer.

They elaborated in the sense that there's no way the Chinese government would ever allow pandas to go to a for-profit institution…
I wonder how Busch Gardens got them back in the 80's, then...

PhotoDave219

I wonder how Busch Gardens got them back in the 80's, then...

I dont remember that.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. http://www.giantpandazoo.com/BuschGardens.html

Short version? There for Six Months from November 5, 1987 to April 1, 1988. They were on loan from the Bejing Zoo. Looks like it was simply a US panda tour rather than permanent exhibition.

One would think that part of the Bejing Disneyland deal would have included a pair of pandas for DAK.... one would think.

Last edited:

Lee

Adventurer
Parks and Resorts has become 100% risk averse because they still view Parks and Resorts as mature. The financials are so delicate that they feel they can't afford the slightest misstep. Despite all that, a $1.6 billion investment in Next Gen has yielded next to nothing. Any one of us on this site could have better spent that money in the parks.

You have executives afraid to take risks, and Imagineers that now live to cater to these executives. This means unimaginative, safe projects. A major Star Wars expansion should have been green lit as soon as the ink was dry on the Lucas contract. Fixing Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios should have been green lit as soon as Disney execs saw this pictures:
wwohp.jpg

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f194861e970b-800wi.jpg

Instead, you get guys like Bruce Vaughn leading the charge. Making statements at D23 like, "bring it on!" He's just as delusional as the executives living quarter to quarter. I know he's the red headed step child around here, but I need to steal a paragraph from Jim Hill's series of Beastly Kingdom articles that are 14+ years old:

You see, Disney CEO Michael Eisner is a very competitive guy. He hates to lose -- at anything. If attendance at WDW started to noticeably slip due to the Mouse losing customers to Universal's new theme park, Michael would have to do something. Eisner's enormous ego just wouldn't be able to handle the idea of Disney being No. 2 in the Orlando market.

So he'd turn to the Imagineers and say: "Make the best attractions you can."

Not "Make the best attraction you can on a limited budget." (i.e.: WDI's recent controversial rehab of Epcot's "Journey into Imagination" ride. During its three months of operation, the revamped version of that Future World attraction racked up more guest complaints than most shows produce in a year.)

Not "Make the best attraction you can with minimal changes to the pre-existing ride building." (i.e.: The Magic Kingdom's "Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin" actually runs its ride vehicles along the very same track and layout the building's previous tenants -- Delta's "Dreamflight" and the unsponsored "Take Flight" -- used.)

Not "Make the best attraction that reflects the sponsor's agenda" (i.e.: Any exhibit you'll find inside either version of "Innoventions.")

Just "Make the best attractions you can." Period.

Look at Epcot, the two new things going to that park are shoehorning Frozen into an existing facility that doesn't fit it, and Soarin' 2.0. As an Imagineer how, can you possibly get excited about creating some of this stuff? Disney is putting the least amount of effort behind these additions in what is wholly uninspiring. If they can't get behind their own innovation, why should fans?

When was the last time Imagineering was told to "Make the best attractions you can"?
Excellent post, sir.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom