A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

jakeman

I checked the Unofficial Guide reader surveys for these restaurants. We've received almost 100,000 dining surveys in the past year.

The average approval rating for all Disney Springs restaurants is around 86%. The standard deviation is around 6%.

Art Smith's Homecoming is the highest rated restaurant at Disney Springs, with 97% approval (n = 37 surveys).

Portobello is the second-lowest rated restaurant at Disney Springs, with 68% approval (n=137). Only Planet Hollywood is lower. We would actively tell people to avoid anything less than 80% approval. In this case, we'll probably rewrite our review to lead with a sentence about going somewhere else.

STK is at 70% approval (n=20). In the words of Jim Hill, I'm really looking forward to this restaurant ... 's next tenant.

Frontera Cocina is 84% (n=32). That's about where I'd put it, too.

Morimoto is 87% (n=281). I hear that Morimoto is still not satisfied with the food and service quality. The dude is serious about this place. I've seen him make a surprise visit in the middle of the afternoon, and I'm 99% sure I could hear the staff's collective sphincters tightening.

House of Blues is 90% (n=132).

Jock Lindsey's is 91% (n=246).

Blaze is 94% (n=162). I think this is the best pizza in WDW. I prefer it to Giordanos and Flippers offsite, too. If anyone knows of better local pizza, let me know.

Splitsville is 94% (n=158). I didn't think it was this good, but I could be wrong.
Well yes...but were the reviewers wearing their social media ray blocking tin foil hats when they ate?

71jason

As someone who rode both The Disney wonder and the Royal Caribbean Oasis. I can tell you that DCL service, including food is way superior to RCLL's.
Not to mention that RCLL will literally SHOVE buying and shopping ads 24/7 on your face.

DCL = Pricey but almost everything included.
RCLL = shop & upcharge on almost everything. Lower quality on food.

I've heard the nickle-and-dime complaint about RCLL a lot. And obviously I love DCL having been on five of their cruises. But at a certain point the sticker shock is going to hurt them with first-time family cruisers, which is the market they built on.

lentesta

Premium Member
Thanks for sharing Len, Any info on Boathouse?

Also, re: Morimoto. I've been once and thought the duck was great. My in laws have been twice and the duck was good once and bad once. From that small sample size it sounds like consistency is a problem and your info seems to support that.

Boathouse - 90% approval (463 surveys). I'd agree. This is a solid place and the steaks are better than you'd expect at a seafood joint.

Cesar R M

Free drinks have really only ever been at captains cc Dvc receptions
This part is still baffling me. I still remember clear as day the menus they gave us at the wonder (alaska itinerary).
And they said 3 alcoholic drinks and 3 non alcoholic drinks were free (aka drinks of the day).
The rest were charge.
Unless the menus did not show the prices and they charged you AFTER you drank them. (which would be even more baffling as I asked a bartender and told me it was free. My mother ordered 2 (on different days) and got no charge for that). Might have been changed recently?
Or could have been because in our itinerary (last trip to Alaska of the season for the wonder.. and we were almost all adults in late september) ?

I've heard the nickle-and-dime complaint about RCLL a lot. And obviously I love DCL having been on five of their cruises. But at a certain point the sticker shock is going to hurt them with first-time family cruisers, which is the market they built on.

Definitively. The service of the staff was also way better on DCL.
It was shocking to see that many RCCL staff saying "I dont know" and leave you on your own.

Cesar R M

I checked the Unofficial Guide reader surveys for these restaurants. We've received almost 100,000 dining surveys in the past year.

The average approval rating for all Disney Springs restaurants is around 86%. The standard deviation is around 6%.

Art Smith's Homecoming is the highest rated restaurant at Disney Springs, with 97% approval (n = 37 surveys).

Portobello is the second-lowest rated restaurant at Disney Springs, with 68% approval (n=137). Only Planet Hollywood is lower. We would actively tell people to avoid anything less than 80% approval. In this case, we'll probably rewrite our review to lead with a sentence about going somewhere else.

STK is at 70% approval (n=20). In the words of Jim Hill, I'm really looking forward to this restaurant ... 's next tenant.

Frontera Cocina is 84% (n=32). That's about where I'd put it, too.

Morimoto is 87% (n=281). I hear that Morimoto is still not satisfied with the food and service quality. The dude is serious about this place. I've seen him make a surprise visit in the middle of the afternoon, and I'm 99% sure I could hear the staff's collective sphincters tightening.

House of Blues is 90% (n=132).

Jock Lindsey's is 91% (n=246).

Blaze is 94% (n=162). I think this is the best pizza in WDW. I prefer it to Giordanos and Flippers offsite, too. If anyone knows of better local pizza, let me know.

Splitsville is 94% (n=158). I didn't think it was this good, but I could be wrong.
Question, do the unofficial guide give scores similar to Tripadvisor? or they are have reviews/surveys by experts added to the mix?

Bolna

This part is still baffling me. I still remember clear as day the menus they gave us at the wonder (alaska itinerary).
And they said 3 alcoholic drinks and 3 non alcoholic drinks were free (aka drinks of the day).
The rest were charge.
Unless the menus did not show the prices and they charged you AFTER you drank them. (which would be even more baffling as I asked a bartender and told me it was free. My mother ordered 2 (on different days) and got no charge for that). Might have been changed recently?
Or could have been because in our itinerary (last trip to Alaska of the season for the wonder.. and we were almost all adults in late september) ?

Definitively. The service of the staff was also way better on DCL.
It was shocking to see that many RCCL staff saying "I dont know" and leave you on your own.

You are the only person I ever hear reporting of free drinks on the menus. There are speciality drinks on the dinner menus, but those are charged for. I have ordered them multiple times and have been charged every time. This is actually one thing I do not like about DCL that they do not have the prices for those drinks on the menu and I find it bothersome that I have to ask before ordering. Don't want any surprises. Also, the drink of the day that is available from all bars is different from those drinks on the dinner menu. The drink of the day is $4.95 with an automatic 19% gratuity added on.

lentesta

Premium Member
Well yes...but were the reviewers wearing their social media ray blocking tin foil hats when they ate?

Is that what that was? I noticed some dis
Question, do the unofficial guide give scores similar to Tripadvisor? or they are have reviews/surveys by experts added to the mix?

We have a knowledgeable dining critic, usually a culinary pro, for table service reviews. Bob and I review most of the quick service and buffets. And we quote readers in the reviews.

All the restaurants get scores on a 0 (bad) to 5 (excellent) stars. Table service places have a different scoring system from quicks.

asianway

Is that what that was? I noticed some dis

We have a knowledgeable dining critic, usually a culinary pro, for table service reviews. Bob and I review most of the quick service and buffets. And we quote readers in the reviews.

All the restaurants get scores on a 0 (bad) to 5 (excellent) stars. Table service places have a different scoring system from quicks.
And a dedicated limited time hot dog reviewer from what I understand

Cesar R M

Highly specialized work. Takes years to cultivate that talent. God, the training....the training.
zufLMZS.gif

You are the only person I ever hear reporting of free drinks on the menus. There are speciality drinks on the dinner menus, but those are charged for. I have ordered them multiple times and have been charged every time. This is actually one thing I do not like about DCL that they do not have the prices for those drinks on the menu and I find it bothersome that I have to ask before ordering. Don't want any surprises. Also, the drink of the day that is available from all bars is different from those drinks on the dinner menu. The drink of the day is $4.95 with an automatic 19% gratuity added on.
Could have been exclusive for Alaska itinerary?

I remember someone on this forum was also on the same trip. Perhaps if I manage to remember who it was.. She could confirm or deny.
Now I'm suddenly hesitating about my memory. But I swear to god ( I paid the bill of the cruise with my CC's) and there was no charge for my mother "drinks of the day". o_o
Infact, apart from the port adventures, the prepaid upcharge (which was absolutely delicious) and one time bingo... Didn't spend a dime on anything else.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If only someone tracked this stuff.

He broke the entire Shanghai Disneyland opening day lineup as well as the Guardians of the Tower story. But aside from that, you're right. He never provides us with any useful information.

He's a loud, opinionated poster. That bothers some people but he's not going to change his opinions or spewing facts when they're unpopular. Sure it's buried on a niche forum, but he's one of the few legit sources of information in the entire Disney fan community, typically scooping "real" reporters on information.

Thanks for the above. But I would just add that for a "niche forum" it is amazing how fast and far and wide my information spreads. Does it bother me that I almost never am credited beyond? Well, I do have an ego. ... Of course when people at Disney or in the business ask where it started or simply read it here themselves ... well, that is largely good enough for me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well between the massacre, the Zika outbreak, and the gator attack, Orlando definitely took some hits this summer, but otherwise the last couple of years have shown a constant upward trend. The various "touring plans" type sites all seem to be in agreement that things are busier. TEA isn't questioning the numbers either.

You are calling BS on Disney's attendance and occupancy numbers?

I am saying that WDW's attendance numbers have been massaged and like the kind you get in a seedy little place on the OBT in a strip (no pun intended) center. Numbers have been misreported for DHS and DAK for years. And they are under-reporting DCA as well.

Occupancy numbers are pretty accurate, but when you have rooms being turned into DVC and other inventory down for rehabs, they don't tell the whole story either.

But, yes, there is a lot of BS being spread as well ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom