A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
If Iger actually had the ability to think on his feet, Iger should have said something along the lines of

'I refuse to dignify the lies and innuendo's spread by rumor mongers who wish to see this project tarnished'.

With what Iger said it gives credence to the possibility that corruption and graft were integral to the project

Iger is The Peter Principle personified.

Yup. This is exactly how you answer the question. He just can't think on his feet and not answer a question that Zenia hasn't scripted an answer for. He was probably shocked because no American reporter would dare ask what is a fair question (again, depending on how it was worded).

gmajew

Premium Member
OK, putting this link here because the thread on the young boy attacked by an alligator at the Grand Flo has just ballooned and has so much insanity mixed with defending Disney mixed with parental blame mixed with this is the media's fault that I was hoping saner heads would read it and understand that the AP is still about as staid a news organization as you will find. This isn't sensationalistic in any way and depicts that Disney has had issues with gators ... I recommend the story in The Wrap as well because they broke news that Disney was having issues with people tossing food to the gators from the nearby Poly bungalows (something I guarantee you was never brought up during talks about issues that could arise in building the pricey villas).

Oh, and apparently Georgie K had to fly back from Shanghai early because Bob certainly wasn't going to. I believe he is back now already.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/af...nings/ar-AAh6Zl2?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=TOSHIBADHP15

Both good articles and people feeding gators so stupid but how do you not see this happening. Maybe they feed ducks first but come on really.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But this next one is my favorite. In response to seeing a dozen people crouched on the castle floor, he said “This is because we still don’t have enough benches or shade yet. Believe me, that’s getting fixed.” Bravo for pointing out a flaw. Obviously they made some mistakes and I'm glad he's aknowledging that. But geez, about the benches... could you please double the order? 'Cause there's another place that could use some too. ;)

No need. They have hundreds (or did) stored back in the main shops area near Disney University (behind MK).

brb1006

I was at the openings of EPCOT and Disney-MGM Studios and they were uplifting classy affairs, ones that I probably didn't fully appreciate in my youth. I also attended the opening of DCA, which was ... was ... was something else.

But DLP also had a splashy opening, including a CBS special (they also had an EPCOT Center one, which is famous for having been hosted by Danny Kaye and a young child actress by the name of Drew Barrymore).
I really hope Disney could create a special for WDW's 50th Anniversary with that amount of love similar to the opening of Epcot,MGM, and AK. Sure there might be cringe comedy but that might have been the charm of them for some odd reason.

Speaking of Specials, I don't think Disney ever made an anniversary special that was decent since Disneyland's 35th Anniversary.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Bob would have to actively give a flying rat's patootie about the parks in Florida he barely even visits to know that they don't have benches anymore in MK. He's personally invested in SDL in a way that I don't think I've ever seen him before, and certainly not with WDW.

Honestly, barring a terror attack or other disaster at WDW, I think the only possible Iger appearance at WDW for the last two years of his tenure will be to open Pandora in fall of 2017. That was an ego deal all the way and he will play it up, after crediting the ''oddly waifish man of anemic personality'' so long as it was convenient to do so.

Bob only cares about the $$$ he can harvest from the swamps. And he's down to his last 24 months (thank you Jesus!) of doing so.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Gotta give credit where credit is due. Was at DHS this past weekend, and they have added a significant number of benches to sit on; not those dumb walls, but real life wood benches with backs. "Course, they still haven't added any to the MK (or AK for that matter).

That makes sense. Benches are at least a C Ticket, if not D, attraction at that corpse of a park.

PhotoDave219

OK, putting this link here because the thread on the young boy attacked by an alligator at the Grand Flo has just ballooned and has so much insanity mixed with defending Disney mixed with parental blame mixed with this is the media's fault that I was hoping saner heads would read it and understand that the AP is still about as staid a news organization as you will find. This isn't sensationalistic in any way and depicts that Disney has had issues with gators ... I recommend the story in The Wrap as well because they broke news that Disney was having issues with people tossing food to the gators from the nearby Poly bungalows (something I guarantee you was never brought up during talks about issues that could arise in building the pricey villas).

Oh, and apparently Georgie K had to fly back from Shanghai early because Bob certainly wasn't going to. I believe he is back now already.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/af...nings/ar-AAh6Zl2?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=TOSHIBADHP15

I just found the story in the wrap. Holy crap....

I know most of us were opposed to the bungalows being built in the first place.... But even I didn't anticipate guests feeding the alligators.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nice to be back sir. The main takeaway during my limited time at SDL was how much I missed the scale at DL or HKDL. Because everything is so spread out at SDL and because so much of it is bigger, I think it's missing that warm, welcoming feeling from having the buildings and landscaping closer. Tomorrowland is just a mess and feels too industrial. I wish I had time to see Pan because it looks to be the best one out of all the parks.

Good to have ya!

Yes, this looks massive in a way that TDL even doesn't. At least in Tokyo, you have so much product, so much substance surrounding those giant walkways (that feel mushy when you walk on them ... or plastic-like ... hard to explain). Here, it would appear that there are vast swaths of emptiness (expansion pads disguised as picnic/grassy areas) and nothing seems intimate, except Treasure Cove. Did that area not seem so to you?

I can't really believe why out of all the concepts they threw out, they still included Tomorrowland. They haven't been successful with a concept since DLP's and they've partially ruined Tim Delaney's masterpiece. I guess HKDL's works in a cartoony type way.

This one ... just looks so cold and having Tron's kinetics don't seem to be enough. But hard to say without visiting yet. That's why it's great to hear from you and @BrianLo and @lazyboy97o and @Nmoody1 and, hopefully, @WDWFigment. A theme park really needs to be experienced in person!

BrerJon

I don't understand why Shanghai is getting so much coverage in the USA, and so much promotion, when they pretend that Tokyo doesn't exist, same for Hong Kong for that matter. Has anyone ever even mentioned DisneySea in American media, I wonder?

Most Americans probably have no idea there is a Tokyo Disneyland, but they haven't been able to miss the news about Shanghai.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't think so. It's a different design philosophy that would require significant changes.

A question for you that can wait for your return (I wouldn't be likely posting much from there if I were in your shoes), but a top 5 things about the resort (can be anything from waffles to Pirates) you enjoyed and a bottom 5 of things you didn't. I think that will open up some fascinating discussion (for at least a handful of us). Have a safe and enjoyable rest of your time.

brb1006

I don't understand why Shanghai is getting so much coverage in the USA, and so much promotion, when they pretend that Tokyo doesn't exist, same for Hong Kong for that matter. Has anyone ever even mentioned DisneySea in American media, I wonder?

Most Americans probably have no idea there is a Tokyo Disneyland, but they haven't been able to miss the news about Shanghai.
I remember one of the only times the US Media would acknowledge any of the parks besides WDW and Disneyland would be during the Walt Disney World Christmas Specials.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Both good articles and people feeding gators so stupid but how do you not see this happening. Maybe they feed ducks first but come on really.

Because they don't have quality people working for them in management and they don't listen to frontline CMs when they report issues. They just don't.

I wrote in the gator thread about how I witnessed this behavior with a family throwing pizza to a gator in front of the Beach Club (pond on the right as you are walking in from buses) years ago and told them to stop and explained how dangerous it was (as well as illegal) and was told to (blank off). I then went in and demanded to speak to the onduty manager who seemed unfazed and uninterested in what was going on. But he promised that he'd call the animal control group. A few days later I was back there and the gator was sitting right in the same spot waiting for a hand out ... tossing a piece of pepperoni. This bull--it has been going on for many years and Disney flat out doesn't want to offend a doll...I mean a Guest.

This is where I say they have responsibility because they don't flat out tell Guests -- NO, you can't do this! It is dangerous. It is against the law. And if you do we'll toss you off our property.

I am not surprised one bit that people have been reportedly doing so at the Poly Bungalows because that is exactly the behavior I'd expect from many people (sadly). And, ultimately, I think they are the reason that kid is dead.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Don't know if anyone has posted this yet but Day 2 in shanghai and already 3 attractions are closed: https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/743606419744686080

Wow!

I am not surprised by RRs. It wasn't ready to run and it was a miracle they had it up yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if Bob demanded it at all costs. I wouldn't be surprised if it is down for days or weeks or ... months. It's not show ready.

SDMT is a surprise because I haven't heard of any issues of note with it since they started trial ops.

The Challenge Trails ... no clue. Was going to say weather, but it is nice there today.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I just found the story in the wrap. Holy crap....

I know most of us were opposed to the bungalows being built in the first place.... But even I didn't anticipate guests feeding the alligators.

I don't want to sound like a know it all Spirited smartarse (but we both know I am one!), but I have seen this for a good 15 years now and those bungalows provide a perfect location for gators to get an easy meal. I wonder if Norm Noble, who I genuinely like, is being called to the principal's office over this.

gmajew

Premium Member
Because they don't have quality people working for them in management and they don't listen to frontline CMs when they reort issues. They just don't.

I wrote in the gator thread about how I witnessed this behavior with a family throwing pizza to a gator in front of the Beach Club (pond on the right as you are walking in from buses) years ago and told them to stop and explained how dangerous it was (as well as illegal) and was told to (blank off). I then went in and demanded to speak to the unduty manager who seemed unfazed and uninterested in what was going on. But he promised that he'd call the animal control group. A few days later I was back there and the gator was sitting right in the same spot waiting for a hand out ... tossing a piece of pepperoni. This bull--it has been going on for many years and Disney flat out doesn't want to offend a doll...I mean a Guest.

This is where I say they have responsibility because they don't flat out tell Guests -- NO, you can't do this! It is dangerous. It is against the law. And if you do we'll toss you off our property.

I am not surprised one bit that people have been reportedly doing so at the Poly Bungalows because that is exactly the behavior I'd expect from many people (sadly). And, ultimately, I think they are the reason that kid is dead.

People/customers are idiots but in today worlds business are so afraid to say anything or stand up for what they should. People complain to get something for free usually. And are now trained to do it. As they know what they will get. So when a business needs to be firm on there rules they are scared to do it because they will get s complain s butt chewing by guest and end up handing stuff ove to them even if the business is right.

some Things just cannot be accepted. Sorry if people feelings get hurt.

Rteetz

I don't want to sound like a know it all Spirited smartarse (but we both know I am one!), but I have seen this for a good 15 years now and those bungalows provide a perfect location for gators to get an easy meal. I wonder if Norm Noble, who I genuinely like, is being called to the principal's office over this.
Norm retired.

PhotoDave219

If this is true, it's a damn nightmare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom