A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have returned from a recent visit to O-Town where I hit up all four WDW parks and both UNI parks and, naturally, I have things to say ... and a bit of news as well.

I hesitated starting this one because well ... we've been down this road before. And some people will come here looking for news on an amazing new Marvel coaster for EPCOT that hasn't been announced yet and be disappointed (don't be, my friends and online stalkers, as there is one coming ... to Shanghai! Guess no one has announced that yet. Maybe it will be borrowed to go along with my GotG Tower tale.) to find me talking about why I don't really care how well Disney is doing at the box office or why US fanbois who are too afraid to visit China really should tone down the drool over SDL (yeah, they got Pirates right ... but nothing else in that park comes close to it).

I also don't get hot and bothered by refurbed/rebranded malls and their infrastructure.

And do you really want to know why security was beefed up? Why are you going through those scanners and security theater (to be fair, this week it is all real ... that's what the Invictus Games, Mrs. Obama and Prince UKer -- I think that's @marni1971 -- will do)? You don't expect a Lifestyler to talk about direct threats on the MK do you? You think you'll get free cupcake party invites by talking about bad people wanting to do bad things at WDW? Nope.

Well, I won't either, I'll just let you connect the dots. I'll just tell you that people are VERY concerned and that I have never seen so much security and that includes during Ronald Reagan's second inaugural, 12/31/99 and post 9/11. There is unheard of security at WDW, made much easier by some of those 'residents' of Golden Oak.

So, why don't we start by talking about those Wall Street results. No, not directly. @PhotoDave219 has that covered in the quarterly earnings thread ... but why don't we talk about what WDW is like right now? Got a drink handy? An adult one? A non-Disney adult one (you know because a tablespoon of alcohol for $12 just doesn't cut it with people not addicted to Pixie Dust and the BRAND).

Let's chat some.

WDW1974

Original Poster
First, all of the #thanksshanghai stuff has been fun, but all of the cuts that you see at WDW, all of the desperation (take a look at portion sizes of food across property and then tell me with a straight face that Disney isn't acting like a company going under) upcharge moves (not one $149 night has sold 500 tickets yet ... or 400 tickets yet ... or ...), all of the screwing of Guests and Cast on a daily basis isn't simply related to the bloodsucking Bob Iger ego-trip in China.

Nope. If SDL is 50% of the problem (and it is), then NGE/MM+ is the other 50%. Don't bring in ESPN ... or DLP ... or ABC or HKDL ... because they are no factors whatsoever.

No, the Next Gen Experience that was pushed hard by "the puckish gladhander" and "the oddly waifish man of anemic personality" and eagerly lapped up by a CEO with no desire to actually build anything new at Disney's parks is pushing all of the cuts that you see.

And, don't believe what you hear about this being a quarterly issue and come July all will be well again. That is BS spin that has been fed to some high-level bloggers/podcasters/Lifestylers. The cutbacks are likely to be the new normal.

So when Fantasmic has only one showing a night and when restaurants close hours before a park and when food prices go up yet again, well, understand that SDL opening and being a huge success (if it is) won't change that any more than Captain America Infinity Thors Vader Rogue Wars huge BO will.

Look for WDW (and DLR to a somewhat lesser degree due to everything already cut for The Star Wars Experience) to be running at this new normal right on into 2017 and, possibly, beyond.

ThemeParkJunkee

Adult beverage in hand. As you know, I've been following the earnings report. I am well aware of the fact that computer infrastructure depreciates far faster than any building or ride so we do have some remnants of MM+ still being paid for. I guess I am most interested in the implications of Iger's comments regarding managing attendance through price increases. That really bothered me. So, he is saying they are going for fewer guests at a higher price point. The philosophy of this bugs the heck out of me. What company doesn't grow to accomodate an expanding customer base?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know there was a distinct threat back in early December, are you implying it's still ongoing or is this something new?

The threat in December, as near as I have been told , was a mass casualty attack on the MK, likely involving suicide bombers near the castle.

Since you haven't heard of anyone being arrested (of course, that dude who was arrested by the French at DLP sorta faded into oblivion in the media as well, didn't he?), one might put two and two together.

I really don't wish to focus on this issue beyond what I have stated as I don't need to talk to the FBI ... again! Although it is good to know how close they really are! (Again, someone might want to wake up Soup & Salad Sandra and remind her that her job isn't rehashing press releases while 'interviewing' people she meets on the Tweeter, but actually covering what is going on.)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Adult beverage in hand. As you know, I've been following the earnings report. I am well aware of the fact that computer infrastructure depreciates far faster than any building or ride so we do have some remnants of MM+ still being paid for. I guess I am most interested in the implications of Iger's comments regarding managing attendance through price increases. That really bothered me. So, he is saying they are going for fewer guests at a higher price point. The philosophy of this bugs the heck out of me. What company doesn't grow to accomodate an expanding customer base?

I have had a few people (in very different places in Disney) tell me that NGE's costs are now past $3 billion with some people saying they are actually approaching $4 billion.

You just think about that.

All I know is that my MAGIC Band still requires me carrying an AP discount card to save a lousy dollar on my gelato. This is a tech boondoggle of the highest magnitude.

tissandtully

The threat in December, as near as I have been told , was a mass casualty attack on the MK, likely involving suicide bombers near the castle.

Since you haven't heard of anyone being arrested (of course, that dude who was arrested by the French at DLP sorta faded into oblivion in the media as well, didn't he?), one might put two and two together.

I really don't wish to focus on this issue beyond what I have stated as I don't need to talk to the FBI ... again! Although it is good to know how close they really are! (Again, someone might want to wake up Soup & Salad Sandra and remind her that her job isn't rehashing press releases while 'interviewing' people she meets on the Tweeter, but actually covering what is going on.)
Damn, that's scary.

ThemeParkJunkee

sen·ti·nel
ˈsent(ə)nəl/
noun
  1. 1.
    a soldier or guard whose job is to stand and keep watch.

verb
  1. 1.
    station a soldier or guard by (a place) to keep watch.
    "a wide course had been roped off and sentineled with police"

Pretty sure there is nothing about "wait for emailed press release and spew it verbatim to the masses"

aaronml

I have returned from a recent visit to O-Town where I hit up all four WDW parks and both UNI parks and, naturally, I have things to say ... and a bit of news as well.

I hesitated starting this one because well ... we've been down this road before. And some people will come here looking for news on an amazing new Marvel coaster for EPCOT that hasn't been announced yet and be disappointed (don't be, my friends and online stalkers, as there is one coming ... to Shanghai! Guess no one has announced that yet. Maybe it will be borrowed to go along with my GotG Tower tale.) to find me talking about why I don't really care how well Disney is doing at the box office or why US fanbois who are too afraid to visit China really should tone down the drool over SDL (yeah, they got Pirates right ... but nothing else in that park comes close to it).

I also don't get hot and bothered by refurbed/rebranded malls and their infrastructure.

And do you really want to know why security was beefed up? Why are you going through those scanners and security theater (to be fair, this week it is all real ... that's what the Invictus Games, Mrs. Obama and Prince UKer -- I think that's @marni1971 -- will do)? You don't expect a Lifestyler to talk about direct threats on the MK do you? You think you'll get free cupcake party invites by talking about bad people wanting to do bad things at WDW? Nope.

Well, I won't either, I'll just let you connect the dots. I'll just tell you that people are VERY concerned and that I have never seen so much security and that includes during Ronald Reagan's second inaugural, 12/31/99 and post 9/11. There is unheard of security at WDW, made much easier by some of those 'residents' of Golden Oak.

So, why don't we start by talking about those Wall Street results. No, not directly. @PhotoDave219 has that covered in the quarterly earnings thread ... but why don't we talk about what WDW is like right now? Got a drink handy? An adult one? A non-Disney adult one (you know because a tablespoon of alcohol for $12 just doesn't cut it with people not addicted to Pixie Dust and the BRAND).

Let's chat some.

Is this Marvel IP coaster in Epcot planned to replace UoE/EEE? I had heard some vague mentioning of an IP-based attraction that would replace UoE/EEE in another thread.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, and since I alluded to it earlier, Shanghai's Phase II is moving ahead at lightning speed because, again, despite what fanbois on the Tweeter say, SDL's menu simply doesn't provide enough attractions, enough capacity.

Right now, it appears the Captain America coaster hybrid for DCA will be reskinned to another Marvel character (most likely Iron Man or Spidey -- just opinion here) and along with an Everest clone and an Alice in Wonderland trackless ride should be the three big attractions added with another spinner or the like added to round out the expansion. Plans are in flux, but the above is pretty damn solid or I wouldn't put it out now.

doctornick

Is this Marvel IP coaster in Epcot planned to replace UoE/EEE? I had heard some vague mentioning of an IP-based attraction that would replace UoE/EEE in another thread.

I think he is saying that there is not any Marvel roller coaster coming to Epcot, but one is planned for Shanghai. IOW he's making fun of the rumor of GotG or anything similar being planned for Epcot

TangledUpInKnots

Why worry? Yes, it is scary to even think about, but this is the reality of our world. Still, don't let it damper your vacation! Enjoy yourself, giving into fear is exactly what they want!! You're more likely to die on your journey down there than actually be the victim of a terror attack inside the MK.
I'm a mom...it's my job to worry about my two year old. Plus, shouldn't that strike you as absolutely awful to even have to say that? That's the "reality of our world?" How tragic is that? I'll still have a good time, but that doesn't mean that might not be in the back of mind.

Absimilliard

When I was at the park early April, I was selected once for "random screening". It was pretty embarrassing that I was the one telling the security team how to do a proper search...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom